DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I Just lost my Mavic 3

One other suggestion - integrating the IMU data w.r.t. time gives a slightly different solution than the GPS data in terms of displacement from the last stable point:

View attachment 141111

That would suggest looking in this area, as it might have hit that tree coming down on that trajectory.

View attachment 141112

And there is possibly a gray object visible in your image at that location, which may or may not be significant.
I just came from inspecting all that area and nothing. I believe if someone seen the drone crashing they took it. I have my hope that someone will call for the reward from the sticker but no calls. I am checking my local craigslist and eBay and see if somebody is selling the drone.

Thanks for your help @sar104 !!!

I just came from inspecting all that area and nothing. I believe if someone seen the drone crashing they took it. I have my hope that someone will call for the reward from the sticker but no calls. I am checking my local craigslist and eBay and see if somebody is selling the drone.

Thanks for your help @sar104 !!!
If the velocity data are at all accurate it hit the ground at over 40 m/s (90 mph), although that still seems excessive given that the normal terminal velocity of a Mavic in free fall is nearer 20 m/s. Either way - unless it landed on soft stuff I wouldn't expect there to be much left to sell.

Reactions: fiddlepilot
If the velocity data are at all accurate it hit the ground at over 40 m/s (90 mph), although that still seems excessive given that the normal terminal velocity of a Mavic in free fall is nearer 20 m/s. Either way - unless it landed on soft stuff I wouldn't expect there to be much left to sell.
That explain the battery disconnection. The find my drone does not work. Hitting at 90MPH on the grass will make a hole. Probably is under the ground LOL. Very hard to find.

How on earth could you know this?

Here's an interesting thread from a couple of years ago.

Just as perplexed now as I was then 🤪

Here's an interesting thread from a couple of years ago.

Just as perplexed now as I was then 🤪
Holy ****. Lol. Thanks mate 👍🏻

• Haha
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
What does DJI have to say about this?

Well. I contacted them 4 days ago and they say will contact me in 2 days. I hope they do today.

How on earth could you know this?
It does sound a bit Monty Python, but there are both computational and experimental data, as discussed in the thread linked above.

I originally did the computational calculations in order to be able to estimate the free fall trajectory in a known wind field in order to try to predict where a drone falling from a given height would land. Then a number of motor-off, motor-restart tests were done and the resulting DAT files provided actual data to tune the drag model further. It works pretty well in most cases.

I think it is very nice to see everybody use their expertise, experience and knowledge to help out the fellow pilot. It so so wonderful to see. Hopefully because of the effort from so many he will be able to locate it but more importantly, with the analyzed data the drone will hopefully get replaced by DJI. It is events like this, that makes one proud to be part of the group. Thanks all and hope you have a most blessed 2022.

I think it is very nice to see everybody use their expertise, experience and knowledge to help out the fellow pilot. It so so wonderful to see. Hopefully because of the effort from so many he will be able to locate it but more importantly, with the analyzed data the drone will hopefully get replaced by DJI. It is events like this, that makes one proud to be part of the group. Thanks all and hope you have a most blessed 2022.
That's what matters. Even if I can't locate the drone, the experience that teaches me this event is priceless. When you more think you have full control of a situation everything can change in 2 seconds. This teaches me to fly more carefully especially keeping VLOS because we never know. Just imagine the drone falling on top of a person, car, or property.

Again thanks to everybody that help me with this analyst special to @sar104, @0Kajuna0, @Meta4, @Agustine, and others, please don't feel bad if I forgot any name. Thanks again.

Update,

DJI is looking now in my case. They collected all the information from me. They say when a Flyaway happens the app asks to submit the Flyaway report but this never happens to me. Even the Fly App never shows me the tracking for finding the drone which is another problem because won't work in the way is supposed to work.

Anyway they say will be a quick resolution for 1-3 days since I provide tons of information and the engineers will give the resolution in writing of what happened on the flyaway. Also mention if was not the pilot fault DJI will replace the drone without the need to use my DJI Care. Now I have a case number finally.

They will send an email with the case resolution.

Update,

DJI is looking now in my case. They collected all the information from me. They say when a Flyaway happens the app asks to submit the Flyaway report but this never happens to me. Even the Fly App never shows me the tracking for finding the drone which is another problem because won't work in the way is supposed to work.

Anyway they say will be a quick resolution for 1-3 days since I provide tons of information and the engineers will give the resolution in writing of what happened on the flyaway. Also mention if was not the pilot fault DJI will replace the drone without the need to use my DJI Care. Now I have a case number finally.

Hope it all works out for you. Now go gather all the kids in the neighbourhood and send them on a scavenger hunt for the drone. Tell them the one who finds it will get a new video game LOL

Reactions: zeusfl
Update,

Best of luck to you. I have been following this post since the beginning. I am eager to find out what happened. I am also planning to purchase a M3 later this year

Reactions: Yaros and zeusfl
Hope it all works out for you. Now go gather all the kids in the neighbourhood and send them on a scavenger hunt for the drone. Tell them the one who finds it will get a new video game LOL
This is a really good idea to be honest. Kids with a goal will do an excellent job.

Mike

This is a really good idea to be honest. Kids with a goal will do an excellent job.

Mike
The downside of doing this is that if something happens to the kids like an accident, fall or injury will fall on my responsibility specially in a location not owned by me. Too much risk to lose. Florida, California, and NY are the state that more lawsuits happen. I need to avoid one. Pay for one can cost up to millions of dollars. I am a simple worker.

The downside of doing this is that if something happens to the kids like an accident, fall or injury will fall on my responsibility specially in a location not owned by me. Too much risk to lose. Florida, California, and NY are the state that more lawsuits happen. I need to avoid one. Pay for one can cost up to millions of dollars. I am a simple worker.
I hate that this is true.

Reactions: pommy
When you more think you have full control of a situation everything can change in 2 second. This teaches me to fly more carefully especially keeping VLOS because we never know. Just imagine the drone falling on top of a person, car, or property.
I’m usually a supportive type but I’m having some trouble with this section of your statement I quoted above.

With 6 years of flying you flew a BVLOS long range test with a virtually new to you M3 in November posted the resulting video and got schooled on why that wasn’t such a good idea and more or less admitted you had learned your lesson. Good on you for that!

HOWEVER

During this lost your drone event two months later you were again flying BVLOS over houses, a busy roadway with what looks like a footpath beside it with 20% battery left.

You are fortunate that your drone crashed without hitting one of the kids you are now concerned might sue you if they got hurt “searching” for your drone.

You can do better!

Reactions: zeusfl
Hahahaha, I actually did similar when my first drone a Hubsan flew away on the first takeoff. Promised the kids 100 rands to whoever finds the drone and it was found in a few hours.

• Haha
Reactions: Speshal and Wade L.
Hahahaha, I actually did similar when my first drone a Hubsan flew away on the first takeoff. Promised the kids 100 rands to whoever finds the drone and it was found in a few hours.
If the search does not eventually result in missing kids, than you did not search well enough.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard