DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I keep my home fairly cold.... and then walk out side to fly...

VenomXts

Premium Pilot
Reactions
So long story short, I keep our house about 68F and its around 89-103F in the summer here now. I notice much like my glasses that walking out side and having a temperature change fog's up the gimble camera super easy.

Lately I have just bee wiping it off with he tail of my shirt (fairly soft) and moving on but this causes me to wonder if im doing any damage to the drone with this swing in temperature and if there is anything anyone puts on the gimble lens that may help limit this.

Random thought figured i would start a conversation around it.

Also, I know the upper operating temperature for the drone is 104 F, if its above 101 i don't go outside period lol.

This is not so much to do with the temperature change so much as the relative humidity change; if you suddenly expose a cool surface to warm moist air then visible condensation will almost always start to form on it. This may include the interior surfaces inside the airvents and the like, so it's generally not a good idea! You can also see the same problem if you go from a cold exterior environment into a warm interior one. Basically, anything that creates a dew point.

Wiping off is fine, but the ideal solution is to leave everything sealed in the bag in the new climate for a while to allow the temperature and humidity levels to *slowly* equalise. Typically this can take 20-30min to do properly, but opening the bag's zipper a tiny bit to allow a little air circulation will speed things up a bit without too much extra risk. If you can use a car, porch, or somewhere with an intermediate humidity point before you go out that will help reduce the time you need to wait once you get outside (or back in) as well.

So long story short, I keep our house about 68F and its around 89-103F in the summer here now. I notice much like my glasses that walking out side and having a temperature change fog's up the gimble camera super easy.

Lately I have just bee wiping it off with he tail of my shirt (fairly soft) and moving on but this causes me to wonder if im doing any damage to the drone with this swing in temperature and if there is anything anyone puts on the gimble lens that may help limit this.

Random thought figured i would start a conversation around it.

Also, I know the upper operating temperature for the drone is 104 F, if its above 101 i don't go outside period lol.
It's a problem with cameras too. It's not good for the lens as mositure can cause fungus to grow in the lens,
not to metion the electronics.The above advise is worth following.

Same problem for me in Thailand using Video, when I returned to hotel and checked recording = nothing!!! because of humidity change (As mentioned) a built in sensor turned cam off. Had to return next day to do it all again bt this time put Camera in boot of Car as air conditioning was the problem. So if you are planning a flight stick drone in Car 30 mins before you intend to leave.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djionas