DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I lost my Mavic Pro Platinum.

There's no simple formula - the method is best seen in the graph I posted. Here's an annotated version. The battery % is extrapolated to the landing battery %, giving a time at which it should start to autoland. The default descent rate is 3 m/s, so that allows us to estimate how long it will take to descend to ground level. Then, using an estimate of the drift rate as a function of altitude (linear from 500 m down to 0 m since the wind speed looks to be around 20 mph at low level), we can estimate how far downwind it will drift while descending.

View attachment 57258
Impressive

If you look at distance and altitude you will see that the data are likely correct:

View attachment 57236

Notice that it goes straight up, holding position just fine, until it climbs above 300 m or so, at which point it starts to move. That's because it switches to ATTI mode as a result of a significant yaw error, likely caused by taking off from a magnetically distorted location. I'll take a look at the DAT file to confirm that. At that point the wind took over, and it was strong - nearly 60 mph at 500 m altitude, so, even without the switch to ATTI there is no way that it could have held position.

I can try to estimate where it ended up, but I have to say that was an extraordinarily reckless flight.
While I agree at that altitude, it's reckless flying, way above what would be allowed legally here, I am wondering why DJI does not have a software update warning of possible "High Winds" when a drone drifts off with no stick movements are made after a certain period of time. It seems it would be a simple fix for those who do not think about higher winds than are at ground level.

If you are interested, the graph below shows what triggered the yaw error and switch to ATTI mode
While I agree at that altitude, it's reckless flying, way above what would be allowed legally here, I am wondering why DJI does not have a software update warning of possible "High Winds" when a drone drifts off with no stick movements are made after a certain period of time. It seems it would be a simple fix for those who do not think about higher winds than are at ground level.

It wasn't the high winds that caused the drone to start drifting - it was the switch to ATTI mode caused by the yaw errors. That will have been reported clearly on the RC and mobile device.

Reactions: Bumblebee76

There is I high winds warning, but my controller never notified me until it was way too late.

If you are interested, the graph below shows what triggered the yaw error and switch to ATTI mode

It wasn't the high winds that caused the drone to start drifting - it was the switch to ATTI mode caused by the yaw errors. That will have been reported clearly on the RC and mobile device.

So basically what you are saying is that the drone had a malfunction which caused it to start drifting?

Takeoff from a magnetically compromised location is not a malfunction of the drone, nor is the resulting switch to ATTI mode.

Last edited:
Yesterday I went and checked the spot that you indicated, my friend came with me and brought his Mavic Pro. We looked everywhere around the indicated coordinate and we did not see it. It was 4:40 when we got there so we did not have much time to look. We will go and check that spot throughly tomorrow as it is raining today.

When I lost the drone it had connection to satellites and had gps signal, so DJI should know where it landed right?
No. There is a feature on the Go4 App find my drone, but that works on what is in the controller and since you lost contact, it will produce the same result as the log and flight record,. It will only have info up to lost contact, I believe. SAR104's extrapolation of the data is a better estimation.

Reactions: Turn11
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa