DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I lost my Mavic Pro Platinum.

When I lost the drone it had connection to satellites and had gps signal, so DJI should know where it landed right?

No - because the only way that the flight data gets to DJI is via your mobile device, when you sync the logs.

So basically what you are saying is that the drone had a malfunction which caused it to start drifting?

No - well possibly, but not likely. Most likely is that you launched from a location with magnetic interference. If you look at the detailed magnetometer and gyro data from the DAT file that you posted, the problem is fairly clear:

mag_full.png

This shows both flights on that power cycle. Notice that on power up the IMU yaw value is initialized by the compass yaw value, but then the compass value deviates significantly on takeoff, even though the z-axis gyro doesn't record any rotation. That's very suggestive of magnetic interference, but it could also be a compass or IMU calibration issue. Were you wearing anything magnetic while handling it just after power up? Here's a close up of the first few seconds after power up:

mag_start.png

After that the aircraft is operating marginally due to the incorrect initialization.

Reactions: Flynz
No - because the only way that the flight data gets to DJI is via your mobile device, when you sync the logs.

No - well possibly, but not likely. Most likely is that you launched from a location with magnetic interference. If you look at the detailed magnetometer and gyro data from the DAT file that you posted, the problem is fairly clear:

View attachment 57353

This shows both flights on that power cycle. Notice that on power up the IMU yaw value is initialized by the compass yaw value, but then the compass value deviates significantly on takeoff, even though the z-axis gyro doesn't record any rotation. That's very suggestive of magnetic interference, but it could also be a compass or IMU calibration issue. Were you wearing anything magnetic while handling it just after power up? Here's a close up of the first few seconds after power up:

View attachment 57355

After that the aircraft is operating marginally due to the incorrect initialization.

I took my drone off from inside my garage so that must be why.

The takeoff point was not magnetically compromised.

You obviously need to learn a lot more about drones. How could you make the statement about the takeoff point not being magnetically compromised when you really had no idea as to whether that was true. For one thing, if your garage floor is concrete, it may well have rebar in which does magnetically compromise the drone.

Reactions: Flynz
You obviously need to learn a lot more about drones. How could you make the statement about the takeoff point not being magnetically compromised when you really had no idea as to whether that was true. For one thing, if your garage floor is concrete, it may well have rebar in which does magnetically compromise the drone.

You are right.

"I took my drone off from inside my garage so that must be why. "

Well you are experiencing a steep learning curve :) Hope you find your drone.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Quick question from a fellow newbie....did you calibrate the compass before takeoff?
There is no need to calibrate the compass before flight.
Not calibrating before flight won't make any difference to anything.
Unnecessarily recalibrating the compass won't make the flight any safer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wilbur and Starz
Quick question from a fellow newbie....did you calibrate the compass before takeoff?
Because takeoff was in the OP's garage, it's not likely that would have had a positive effect; a magnetically compromised location will mess with the compass full stop.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife