DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I pad trouble

Canuk

Reactions
I have a I pad mini gen 5 that is having trouble . Sometimes it would work as a monitor . It shows that it’s disconnected . It’s doing this on the fly app . If I hook my phone up as the monitor things work fine . Different cables don’t help . Any ideas anyone . I bought the mini 5 to replace the mini 4 that I used for years

Do you have the correct DJI app loaded on the iPad mini? I use the iPad generation 6 and have no issues. You might have to delete the app and then download it again. Sometimes getting it directly from the DJI website makes all the difference too. It doesn’t sound like a cable issue as it works on your phone. The iPad mini is about as compatible as you can get. It even says made for IOS on the DJI box. It shouldn’t matter if the iPad is Wi-Fi only or if it has cellular access. I’m sure other members will have additional suggestions.

My IOS is up to date so I will try going to DJI website for the app. Maybe I got a corrupt file somehow . Last two I pads worked 100% of the time

I did a ton of research on which tablet would work with DJI drones. The crystal sky was waaay too expensive, anything that was android was too hit and miss as far as actually working, only iPad 64 bit iOS was really fool proof. I picked up a used gen 6 9.7 inch iPad on flea-bay for cheap. I am completely satisfied with the operation of it and it fits into the tablet mount perfectly. Hopefully you can get the issue straightened out soon. Good luck!

It's possible the lightning post on the iPad is damaged.
Has it been used a lot ?
Does the charging connector work ok every time, no disruption if you wriggle it a little ?

You've been here and droning for a long time by the looks, so assume all apps for drone model etc are fine.
(It could be worth deleting and reloading the Fly app ?)

If there is still a problem, about all that's left that is out of line is the possible iPad lightning port.
Maybe an Apple store can test it ?

I agree with South Oz, the lightning ports can wear and cause intermittent operation. Another issue is the port gets crud and lint inside which causes the cable to not fully insert. This can be carefully cleaned out with a plastic or wooden tooth pick, don’t use anything metal and be very careful not to damage any of the tiny contacts inside. I assume you got a used iPad, if it is new, you may need to contact Apple for repair. Also don’t spray anything into the port or use any compressed air.

Reactions: fgurnee01
The mini 5 uses the USB-C port and it’s normally bullet proof . I dumped the fly app and reloaded it . Now I can’t get things up and working no matter what song and dance I try . Phone works and live view is up in about 3 seconds . Both of my older I pads never gave grief even once . I don’t know what to try now . I’m very frustrated . I’m a bit on the older side so the large screen is needed . Without the iPad it’s no fun for me .

Just did a google search on iPad mini 5 charge port issues. Apparently there’s plenty of issues with it and videos galore on replacing the port on YouTube. They also have issues with dirt and lint in the type c ports also. If you just bought it (new or used) check it there is any warranty or what the return policy is. Another option is find a friend who has one, load the app on it, then see if it works with your remote and cable. It likely will as it works with your phone. This is probably a internal issue with the iPad mini. If you bought it on eBay, they have a purchase protection policy that is very good. PayPal does also.

Just did a google search on iPad mini 5 charge port issues. Apparently there’s plenty of issues with it and videos galore on replacing the port on YouTube. They also have issues with dirt and lint in the type c ports also. If you just bought it (new or used) check it there is any warranty or what the return policy is. Another option is find a friend who has one, load the app on it, then see if it works with your remote and cable. It likely will as it works with your phone. This is probably a internal issue with the iPad mini. If you bought it on eBay, they have a purchase protection policy that is very good. PayPal does also.
Just for the heck of it I dusted off my old mavic pro and go-4 won’t work on the iPad also . It must be the port like you said . This sucks as I bought this as a flying tool only . Next to zero hours on it

The mini 5 uses the USB-C port and it’s normally bullet proof . I dumped the fly app and reloaded it . Now I can’t get things up and working no matter what song and dance I try . Phone works and live view is up in about 3 seconds . Both of my older I pads never gave grief even once . I don’t know what to try now . I’m very frustrated . I’m a bit on the older side so the large screen is needed . Without the iPad it’s no fun for me .

Hmmm, didn't know about that change to USB-C, really used to the lightning type plug, and rarely have any issues with them.
I find it strange that DJI uses USB-C on the Pocket camera I have too, charging case for that same C type.
I would have preferred they stayed with micro USB, but suppose you can't accidentally try and insert the plug the wrong way.

Just for the heck of it I dusted off my old mavic pro and go-4 won’t work on the iPad also . It must be the port like you said . This sucks as I bought this as a flying tool only . Next to zero hours on it

There you go, hopefully you can return it, exchange, and get that sorted out.
Sounds like you offloaded the old mini4 ?
If so, a shame as I use mine for Go4, most likely you had to upgrade to handle the Fly app ?

That’s what I have. My new (old but like new) Mavic Pro, with iPad (lighting connector). After you mentioned that you have the type c connector, I remembered apple did away with the lightning port. Even on the iPhone. If it is out of warranty, you don’t have to go to apple for repairs. Best Buy, and most places that repair cell phones can perform the repairs. Any reputable shop will be able to give you a accurate estimate for repairs. It may not take a long time to repair it.

Ok, I just went to the Apple iPad mini 5 website. The iPad mini 5th generation uses the lightning connector. The iPad mini 6th generation uses the type C connector. Are you sure you are using the correct cable?

Hmmm, didn't know about that change to USB-C, really used to the lightning type plug, and rarely have any issues with them.
I find it strange that DJI uses USB-C on the Pocket camera I have too, charging case for that same C type.
I would have preferred they stayed with micro USB, but suppose you can't accidentally try and insert the plug the wrong way.

There you go, hopefully you can return it, exchange, and get that sorted out.
Sounds like you offloaded the old mini4 ?
If so, a shame as I use mine for Go4, most likely you had to upgrade to handle the Fly app ?
Battery failed in the old mini 4 and when the people changed the battery they damaged the screen .
I looked on the box for the new iPad and it’s a 6th gen not a 5 . Don’t really matter as it don’t work . Guess they messed up the port when they built it

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Sounds like you are going back to the store. Should be able to get it repaired or replaced.
Only problem is living this far up north I have no idea where to get it repaired . I can’t return it as too much time has past since it was bought . Had a very very cold winter so the iPad has been just waiting for warm temps to return.

Only problem is living this far up north I have no idea where to get it repaired . I can’t return it as too much time has past since it was bought . Had a very very cold winter so the iPad has been just waiting for warm temps to return.
If your iPad is wearing a case, try taking it off. Sometimes the cutout around the Lightning port is too small, or the case is too thick, to allow the plug to seat correctly.

I have a I pad mini gen 5 that is having trouble . Sometimes it would work as a monitor . It shows that it’s disconnected . It’s doing this on the fly app . If I hook my phone up as the monitor things work fine . Different cables don’t help . Any ideas anyone . I bought the mini 5 to replace the mini 4 that I used for years
I also bought the iPad 5 a few months back to use with the Fly app. I am experiencing no problems whatsoever. I use the iPad mini 5 successfully with the Mini2, the Mavic Air 2 and the DJI Air 2s.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan