DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I swallowed my pride and got an iPad.

So I have been an avid android user since my first experience with the galaxy S3 and have sworn off Apple products since then. Then I got my Spark and now MP, I've had fairly good success with Android this whole time, but kept reading post after post about the Apple and DJI experience. Once I decided that I no longer wanted to use my phone as my primary device and started searching for a dedicated DJI device, which I highly recommend to everyone, I decided I would keep an open mind. Well an offer I couldn't refuse came around and I bought myself an iPad. After several hours of trying to set it up, mostly googling how to use the **** thing, I was ready to fly. I can honestly say the entire experience is better, smoother video, faster startup time, zero singal loss or connection issues of any kind and just an all around easier time. Factor in the bigger screen and I'm actually a little upset I didn't do it sooner. I have no intention of buying any more Apple products, I still love androids customization and operating system, I'm just alot happier with my drones using this different system. I'd love to hear any comments about what you've found since you switched, or are you just as stubborn as I was and still holding strong on to the Android format?
I agree with everything you said but I didn't wait to get the iPad after reading what was best for the mavic. Still I would never get an iphone for the same reasons you mention. With the iPad it's annoying that it turns on whenever you start to charge it. Then it's dead next week for the next flight . Because I have all my mavic system charging on a 4 hour timer.

Reactions: putz
FWIW, before reading this thread, I had't thought of getting a separate device for using with my Mavic Pro. I already had a Samsung S8 and just started using that. I can't recall having had any problem so far, and I'm really surprised to read that some people have had to alter OS settings and get into debug and stuff. I installed DJI Go and it worked, right away, no problem, then or since. Just my experience.

So I have been an avid android user since my first experience with the galaxy S3 and have sworn off Apple products since then. Then I got my Spark and now MP, I've had fairly good success with Android this whole time, but kept reading post after post about the Apple and DJI experience. Once I decided that I no longer wanted to use my phone as my primary device and started searching for a dedicated DJI device, which I highly recommend to everyone, I decided I would keep an open mind. Well an offer I couldn't refuse came around and I bought myself an iPad. After several hours of trying to set it up, mostly googling how to use the **** thing, I was ready to fly. I can honestly say the entire experience is better, smoother video, faster startup time, zero singal loss or connection issues of any kind and just an all around easier time. Factor in the bigger screen and I'm actually a little upset I didn't do it sooner. I have no intention of buying any more Apple products, I still love androids customization and operating system, I'm just alot happier with my drones using this different system. I'd love to hear any comments about what you've found since you switched, or are you just as stubborn as I was and still holding strong on to the Android format?
I also looked for a while, then found a very bright daylight screen with the Lenovo 4-8" screen, can see it in sunlight , very nice 4k display.. works great for me. and the Price... 1/3 the cost of the iPad.

I broke down and did the same thing.After disappointing results with a Samsung Galaxy E tablet and an Nvidia Shield, I bought an iPad Mini 4 and haven't looked back.Not one disconnect until I break 2 miles which is fantastic.The only thing I hate is the fact that you have to delete an app to "flush" the cache,then reinstall it but it's a small price to pay for worry free flying.

Painful and expensive trying other tablets and finally had to buy an Ipad mini 4. It is clearly written on the back of the box that your Mav arrived in....essentially designed with Apple and ios in mind. I too begrudge having to buy a product from a company that 'owns you' , you wallet and they are working on your soul.
Enough said.....Nothing works for a Mavic like current Apple product..
I guess I will just curl up in a corner and whine and then..... 'get over it' and go fly my drone.

Love using the IPad mini4.

I dropped into the DJI Store yesterday to purchase a PGYTECH Mavic Pad Holder (on sale) and a short cable to attach my 7.9" iPad Pro to the RC - total cost $30. It is simple enough to set up but I'm not sure if I'm happy with the extra weight of the iPad Pro compared to the Samsung S7.

I'm hoping that I will get used to it because the iPad's much larger hi-res display is awesome. Otherwise, I'll bite the bullet and get an iPad Mini 4 which seems to be the crowd favourite. The iPad was supplied by my employer so it cost me nothing - figured it was worth blowing $30 on the experiment.

FWIW, before reading this thread, I had't thought of getting a separate device for using with my Mavic Pro. I already had a Samsung S8 and just started using that. I can't recall having had any problem so far, and I'm really surprised to read that some people have had to alter OS settings and get into debug and stuff. I installed DJI Go and it worked, right away, no problem, then or since. Just my experience.
I've read that alot with the S8, just like my S7 edge, it worked great. Then I upgraded to the S9+ and started having issues.

I’ve been using my iPhone 7i+ with my MP, but I had to 3D print a holder since the OtterBox I keep the phone in didn’t fit the controller. All has worked fine except my fingers are a bit too big and I need reading glasses to see the relatively small icons on the screen. Hoping to address this, I bought an iPad (also in an OtterBox) and a holder to marry it to the controller, but I haven’t used the iPad with the MP yet. I’ve been using it for everything else. I also have several Android tablets but never tried them with the MP since the memories are maxed out - I run databases on them and use them for data collection at work.

I’ve worried about using the iPad and a holder that positions it above the controller’s antennas. Wouldn't this configuration block the signal from the controller to the MP if it's overhead? Has anyone else had any problems/concerns about this?

I’ve worried about using the iPad and a holder that positions it above the controller’s antennas. Wouldn't this configuration block the signal from the controller to the MP if it's overhead? Has anyone else had any problems/concerns about this?

Good point. I have set mine up so that the antennas are well clear of the iPad - should not be a problem. I guess I'll find out when I try it for the first time hopefully later today, weather permitting. See pic below:-

Attachments

• PGYTECH Pad Holder.jpg
    PGYTECH Pad Holder.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
I have long loathed the intrusiveness of everything Apple but I needed a reliable screen for my Mavic Pro since my phone just wasn't cutting it. I have a Blackberry Priv which worked well for a bit but would heat up and throttle down...and that's when the problems would start.

After much looking around, I ended up with the Mini4 as a dedicated drone screen, and I'm happy with it. It fits perfectly in my remote, has a clear picture and is usually bright enough. Drone flying is all I use it for so I don't need to sell my soul to the ghost of Jobs every time I boot up.

It's the only Apple device I own.

The holder I got positions the iPad farther forward toward the antennas than the setup shown in your photo.

I assume signal blockage could be a problem since the frequencies used by the controller are line-of-sight. Also, the antennas have dead, or nearly dead zones off their ends. In other words, don't point the antennas directly at the drone - keep the drone off to the side for best reception.

Which tablet?
see below

Actually your wrong, I'm not an avid Apple person, but every device I've ever used from Apple has performed absolutely flawless!!! From the IPod to the iPad!!! AND the iPad mini has had not one problem with any DJI product!!! So your statement that it's a myth is one hundred percent wrong!!! Show me one item that hasn't had issues with DJI,,, you can't!!! Because I've extensively researched this area before I bought!!!
Wrong? How do you calculate that?
My flying tablets run the DJI Go app flawlessly.
In over a year of hard professional use, my Huawei M3 and M5 have never had a glitch (and never overheating).

It's ignorant posts like yours that keep this stupid myth alive.
iPads run the Go app well but so do my flying tablets and several other Android devices.

Last edited:
The holder I got positions the iPad farther forward toward the antennas than the setup shown in your photo.

I assume signal blockage could be a problem since the frequencies used by the controller are line-of-sight. Also, the antennas have dead, or nearly dead zones off their ends. In other words, don't point the antennas directly at the drone - keep the drone off to the side for best reception.

I have not heard or read anything about Reception related issues when using tablet holders or brackets. Have you?

I'm not a fan boy of either camp although Apple's business practices tick me off. I use a Macbook Pro because Mac OS is just so much more reliable for me. Much less buggy than Windows. On the other hand, I abhor iOS and use Samsung phones. Crimey, you can't even place the icons where you want them on iOS.
You can put the icons wherever you want on Iphone or Ipad. Just touch and hold any icon, it will get a small "x" in EVERY ICON and they will wiggle. Drag and drop the icons wherever you want, or hit the "x" to delete the app.. And YES IOS and Mac IOS are far less buggy. BUT if you dont want to take the time to learn how to use apple devices, dont globally claim they are bad just because you didnt figure out how to do what you wanted!.

see below

Wrong? How do you calculate that?
My flying tablets run the DJI Go app flawlessly.
In over a year of hard professional use, my Huawei M3 and M5 have never had a glitch (and never overheating).

It's ignorant posts like yours that keep this stupid myth alive.
iPads run the Go app well but so do my flying tablets and several other Android devices.

But your android tablets are more elusive than Ipads? I have not seen then anywhere on a store shelf. Not the typical off the shelf tablets most people like to buy.
As much as you want to resist, (maybe you get a $ spiff from Huawei? :D) It has been repeated OVER AND OVER in this very thread, even Android fans prefer Apples to Android for DJI use. Almost every one of them has cited issues with android devices on DJI. That is just how it is. That is how it always will be because there is no way Android will ever be as standardized as IOS.

But your android tablets are more elusive than Ipads? I have not seen then anywhere on a store shelf. Not the typical off the shelf tablets most people like to buy.
As much as you want to resist, (maybe you get a $ spiff from Huawei? :D) It has been repeated OVER AND OVER in this very thread, even Android fans prefer Apples to Android for DJI use. Almost every one of them has cited issues with android devices on DJI. That is just how it is. That is how it always will be because there is no way Android will ever be as standardized as IOS.

What he said.

Do people still buy stuff in stores?
You could have a look in some of those new-fangled online marketplaces.

As much as you try repeating over and over, Apple does not have a monopoly on running the DJI Go app properly.
All I'm trying to do is provide some accurate and balanced information to counter the ignorant myth that is so pervasive.

Yes, iPads run the app rather well and lots of people like them.
But they are not the only devices that run the app properly despite the noise from people that haven't used anything else and those that tried running it on a substandard Android device and assume all Android devices must be the same.

Reactions: Clinton1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALEXANDRE MARAN GREGOLIN