DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I swallowed my pride and got an iPad.

After reading the side of the box the mavic comes in, { made for iphones,} and having problems connecting, I rang dji support. They told me it does not work properly with my phone [samsung S8] and I should get another phone. After changing a few settings on my S8 I got it working, but not as good as my wife's Iphone 7.
It even looked better on the iPhone, and u have the option to not charge your phone, my phone keeps charging, no matter what setting changes I do.
I don't like iphones and wont go over to the dark side, but,
It doesn't help anyone if we shoot people down that dare complain, that's the only way to get these big companies to improve there products.

After reading the side of the box the mavic comes in, { made for iphones,} and having problems connecting, I rang dji support. They told me it does not work properly with my phone [samsung S8] and I should get another phone. After changing a few settings on my S8 I got it working, but not as good as my wife's Iphone 7.
It even looked better on the iPhone, and u have the option to not charge your phone, my phone keeps charging, no matter what setting changes I do.
I don't like iphones and wont go over to the dark side, but,
It doesn't help anyone if we shoot people down that dare complain, that's the only way to get these big companies to improve there products.

You need to do some research on how to properly set up your specific Android device for use with DJI. There are people here that say their S8's work like a charm. Search the forum for "s8" and you will eventually find your answers.
The BIG part of being an Android fan is that you can make an Android do anything. It goes way beyond sideloading hacks that get you free paid apps, or discreet illegal media downloads.
This topic has been all about Apple being pretty much Automatic at as far as DJI is concerned.
Android users often have to take control of their device for happiness!

Here are some Android beginner tricks to try;
Go into your developer options (however you do it for your specific device because there are several different ways)
Go into your settings and turn on USB debugging
Change your USB port from charging to media transfer protocol MTP.
Some have shut off Fast charging with some success.

I don't remember much more since I switched to Apple 4 years ago because I got tired of figuring out how to make Android do what I wanted then to have all that change with every device I got. So not sure if you have to switch back and forth on the USB setting to be able to charge normally.

The "Charge your phone" setting is only available for the Mavic 2 and is applicable to IOS only. There is no simple way to prevent the RC from charging an Android device. Read through the following thread - you'll find references to a couple of workarounds. One is to alter the USB cable to reduce the amount of power delivery and another one is all about an app that works on rooted S7s - it might also work on the S8.

Expected use of remote mav pro 2 on battery charge

that's my point we shouldn't have to do all this, the go 4 app goes out to both platforms, so it should work equally the same on both. I have researched and made all the changes to get my samsung to work pretty good, except for the charging issue, which is not a big deal if u keep your phone fully charged.
I am good with tech stuff, and have the time to stuff around with the settings, but I feel sorry for the average Joe who just wants to fly there drone with android.

that's my point we shouldn't have to do all this, the go 4 app goes out to both platforms, so it should work equally the same on both. I have researched and made all the changes to get my samsung to work pretty good, except for the charging issue, which is not a big deal if u keep your phone fully charged.
I am good with tech stuff, and have the time to stuff around with the settings, but I feel sorry for the average Joe who just wants to fly there drone with android.
The problem isnt DJI, or the app. The app works on IOS because every device with IOS works exactly the same.
The problem is every Android device manufacturer does what they want to the Android version they load on each device. There is no way to design an app that will work with every revision of the Android platform. They COULD write an app specifically for every individual Android device, but we all know that isnt going to happen. So it is up to the device owner to find the manufacturer imposed problems and patch them.
I am sure you have downloaded at least one Android app that didnt work on your device from the play store haven't you? (If not, you are extremely lucky.)

Reactions: JDawg

So they can come here and people like you and other tech-savvy friends can help them resolve their issues. Most people will probably stay with the same device for at least 2 years or more and will easily get used to changing a couple of settings if it means that they don't have to waste money on a new device (i.e.Apple iPhone or iPad) and especially if there is no other reason to acquire same.

OK so I think we all get it - you shouldn't have to muck around with settings but it's really nothing more than a minor "First World" problem that will affect only the most pedantic of those who prefer to whine about stuff all of the time.

Last edited:
Yes, this thread should probably die after all this back and forth. I will say, the main reason I've never opted for a Crystal Sky device is because it runs on Android. All else being equal, DJI Go 4 runs far, far better on iOS. It's just a better, more stable OS. While I'd love to have 2,000 nits of brightness, I can't imagine having to run Go embedded in Android with no real ability to use Litchi, Auto Pilot, or Ground Station Pro. No thanks, I'll stick with my iPad Pro. It's nowhere near as bright, but it's about 1,000 times more functional and stable.

Reactions: ac0j
Just a question that I just thought of,
I know the Crystal Sky is bright, but how is the resolution? Is it as detailed as a modern ipad or high end samsung display?

2048 x 1536 for 7.85"
1920 x 1080 for 5.5"

iPad Pro 11" (2018) is 2388 x 1668
iPad Pro 12.9" (2018) is 2732 x 2048

Both iPads have 600 nits of brightness compared to 1,000 and 2,000 for the 2 7.85" Crystal Sky devices

Last edited:
As for the older ipads, I found this;

2048-by-1536 Resolution iPads. The remarkable thing to note is that both the 9.7-inch iPad models and the 7.9-inch iPad models share the same 2048-by-1536 Retina Display resolution. This gives the iPad Mini 2, iPad Mini 3 and iPad Mini 4 a pixels-per-inch (PPI) of 326 compared to the 264 PPI in the 9.7-inch models.

SO the CS is about the same as older Ipads, and ipad mini's as far as resolution
and the ipad pros appear to be higher resolution than the CS.

All else being equal, DJI Go 4 runs far, far better on iOS. It's just a better, more stable OS.
That's the common fallacy that keeps this thread alive.
Android and iOS are both fine.
They are equally capable of running the DJI Go app well.
Neither runs it far, far better or is more stable.

Your assertion is based on individual devices, not the operating systems.
There are iOS devices that won't run the app properly, just like there are Android devices that won't.
It's just that there are so many more Android devices on the market.

That's the common fallacy that keeps this thread alive.
Android and iOS are both fine.
They are equally capable of running the DJI Go app well.
Neither runs it far, far better or is more stable.

Your assertion is based on individual devices, not the operating systems.
There are iOS devices that won't run the app properly, just like there are Android devices that won't.
It's just that there are so many more Android devices on the market.
I guess an Ipod from 1995 might not run DJI go4. But I havent heard of a recent apple device that wont run it. Unless it was defective, or connected wrong.
You are correct that a proper Android device should work just as good as an IOS device. But it is unfortunately not always the case. As has been repeated over and over and over in this thread involving SEVERAL different mainstream Android devices. You have made your point.

So I have been an avid android user since my first experience with the galaxy S3 and have sworn off Apple products since then. Then I got my Spark and now MP, I've had fairly good success with Android this whole time, but kept reading post after post about the Apple and DJI experience. Once I decided that I no longer wanted to use my phone as my primary device and started searching for a dedicated DJI device, which I highly recommend to everyone, I decided I would keep an open mind. Well an offer I couldn't refuse came around and I bought myself an iPad. After several hours of trying to set it up, mostly googling how to use the **** thing, I was ready to fly. I can honestly say the entire experience is better, smoother video, faster startup time, zero singal loss or connection issues of any kind and just an all around easier time. Factor in the bigger screen and I'm actually a little upset I didn't do it sooner. I have no intention of buying any more Apple products, I still love androids customization and operating system, I'm just alot happier with my drones using this different system. I'd love to hear any comments about what you've found since you switched, or are you just as stubborn as I was and still holding strong on to the Android format?
So I have been an avid android user since my first experience with the galaxy S3 and have sworn off Apple products since then. Then I got my Spark and now MP, I've had fairly good success with Android this whole time, but kept reading post after post about the Apple and DJI experience. Once I decided that I no longer wanted to use my phone as my primary device and started searching for a dedicated DJI device, which I highly recommend to everyone, I decided I would keep an open mind. Well an offer I couldn't refuse came around and I bought myself an iPad. After several hours of trying to set it up, mostly googling how to use the **** thing, I was ready to fly. I can honestly say the entire experience is better, smoother video, faster startup time, zero singal loss or connection issues of any kind and just an all around easier time. Factor in the bigger screen and I'm actually a little upset I didn't do it sooner. I have no intention of buying any more Apple products, I still love androids customization and operating system, I'm just alot happier with my drones using this different system. I'd love to hear any comments about what you've found since you switched, or are you just as stubborn as I was and still holding strong on to the Android format?

I have bought a Lenovo Tab 8 for drone flying, and it serves me well. The battery life kills the ipad and most other tablets I have used.

Well, "De gustibus non est disputandum", I see problem not with android but with the user, we try to use phone-tablet like Swiss army knife. Some apps, especially as complex as drone controller need "room" to operate and undisturbed environment which is difficult to supply on live phone or tablet incessantly checking for connections,updates,e-mails and txts etc.. I was frustrated as many fellows here, but after restricting most of the phone processes to manual, uninstalling bloatware I got working pretty much flawlessly LG V20, but still finding screen small and after some research got hold on Nexus 7 as one with brightest screen and Android native (6.0). DJI GO 4 installed without issues and works as intended. Mind you I use it for drone exclusively, disabled most of nonessential apps. Contrary what I read from some sources WI-Fi version actually has GPS and tablet works great without data connection, and this is 5y old technology!.
My guess is that Apple has probably - by design better insulated multitasking apps, hence less possible interference and resulting errors or DOS'es.

Contrary what I read from some sources WI-Fi version actually has GPS.
Almost all Android tablets have GPS, whether they are cellular capable or not. (There are only a couple that don't)
It's just Apple that only fit a GPS receiver to cellular capable iPads.

The forced charging of Android is a primary reason I am looking at an iPad. I wish I could use Android without charging.

For anyone wanting to keep away from iOS devices, you can still get superlative performance running the app with the Huawei M3 and M5 8 inch tablets.
No configurating problems, great screens, 20 second boot time, loud speakers, long battery life plus they run DJI Go 4 without a glitch, all day long and are Android so you get to choose how you want to do things.
I picked up a cheap Huawei media pad from Walmart ($130) and it is still better than any phone or tablet I've used (many of each) over 3 years of DJI products. I love this thing, and am now a Huawei fan.

The forced charging of Android is a primary reason I am looking at an iPad. I wish I could use Android without charging.
I Think you can shut that off in the phone settings? I have copied this from another thread;

" Need to go into your settings and turn on USB debugging and change your USB port from charging to media transfer protocol MTP. You have to go into your developer options which is available by pressing the build number of your phone 7 times in a row and then like I said go in there turn USB debugging on change charging to MTP and you'll be flying in a matter of minutes."

Sorry I cant credit this to anyone, because I cannot remember who posted it. I copied it to my desktop so I would remember it, and to possibly help someone out.
The Android enthusiasts rarely offer to help other Android users, They spend more time cursing Apple in other threads. :D

FWIW, before reading this thread, I had't thought of getting a separate device for using with my Mavic Pro. I already had a Samsung S8 and just started using that. I can't recall having had any problem so far, and I'm really surprised to read that some people have had to alter OS settings and get into debug and stuff. I installed DJI Go and it worked, right away, no problem, then or since. Just my experience.
Same here

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandeh