DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I think that I shall pass on the Mavic 3 Pro for an Air 3 now that the lens specs have been revealed.

Here we go ,the arguing starting on a drone that has not even been released yet.
The camera even not being 1" may surprise everyone.All the technical crap on sensors
impresses no one.Lets leave it up to the reviews to see what modern technology is capable
of.
You're free to skip the technical crap if you're unable to understand it.

To be clear, impressing anyone is not on my agenda at 61. Not an iota.

However, I've learned two or three things in those 61 years, and I do like helping others understand how things work. So I'll keep posting technical crap until the rules change and prohibit it. I invite you to skip over my posts so you're not confused and bothered.

12MP Doesn't require the rest of the world to remain completely still as it uses 8 sensor moments to create it's image. Not just a matter of demosaicing, the sensor has to shift in each direction 8 times to produce that 48mp image which creates artifacts between either movement of the ground below or the drone's position itself. At the lower resolution single sensor capture you might primarily get a little motion blur based on the shutter speed.

So no, it's not as simple as you said, even with DNG processing on a computer(Which isn't available for 48MP mode) won't get rid of those kinds of artifacts. So yes it is a bit gimmicky.

This is totaly not how it works!!!! I would suggest you get yourself some more informtion, before posting something like this on the internet. Thx mightypilot2000 for getting things right!

I would rather see the 24mm paired with a 166mm. It's a bit of a gimmick either way but I'd rather have the 7X instead of 3X.

Other Factors to Consider:

For instance many times the Panos will not complete as the Wind is to great, so much of what needs to be tested is the gimbal ability to take still pictures in extreme condtions . Editing a Broken Horizon is painful .

Both the Air 2/S are better than the Mini 2 and Mini 3 pro and the Mavic 3 is about the same as the Air 2S

I have taken quite a few picures now with the Mavic 3 and I have yet to find value in the 7 x Zoom other than getting License plate numbers from afar and Yet I try , but it never frames the Picture right.

Since I fly mainly in my car in the Rain , that smaller foot print of the Air 2S Drone in the Car is Priceless if it can yield the same results with the 3 x Zoom .

The only way this Picture looked right in the Frame was the 3x Zoom as the 7x Zoom just crushed into a white cloud and provided no Cinematic value in the Picture.

3 x Zoom and the Sky comes to Life .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water

Other Factors to Consider:

For instance many times the Panos will not complete as the Wind is to great, so much of what needs to be tested is the gimbal ability to take still pictures in extreme condtions . Editing a Broken Horizon is painful .

Both the Air 2/S are better than the Mini 2 and Mini 3 pro and the Mavic 3 is about the same as the Air 2S

I have taken quite a few picures now with the Mavic 3 and I have yet to find value in the 7 x Zoom other than getting License plate numbers from afar and Yet I try , but it never frames the Picture right.

Since I fly mainly in my car in the Rain , that smaller foot print of the Air 2S Drone in the Car is Priceless if it can yield the same results with the 3 x Zoom .

The only way this Picture looked right in the Frame was the 3x Zoom as the 7x Zoom just crushed into a white cloud and provided no Cinematic value in the Picture.

3 x Zoom and the Sky comes to Life .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water
The drone abort Pano when there are strong winds. I dont know why. I never use DJI stitch Pano, it is horrible. I use PTGui and you can swivel those individual panels to correct the horizon. I also correct the broken horizon using cut/paste and distort(many types) on the photo editor. Yes it can be done.

I have no use for the 7x also and I have sold my Mavic 3. I have the Mini 3 now (love it!) and what I do is get my drone ready from high above and lower down to get close shots and go back up again, but not doing this at someone's property, LOL. I have done crop in to 30% on my Mini 3 (must do this in DNG & 12 MP) and it is doable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Yes , I also use the light room for the Panos in the Storm and with some effort it works well. So you sold the Mavic 3 for the Mini 3 , that is interesting

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Land on the water.

Here we go ,the arguing starting on a drone that has not even been released yet.
The camera even not being 1" may surprise everyone.All the technical crap on sensors
impresses no one.Lets leave it up to the reviews to see what modern technology is capable
of.
I'm sorry that I started this thread.
It has devolved in to an almost religious, holy wars type discussion.
Exactly like the photo forums elsewhere on the internet. So sad.

I tried starting a thread on two different occasions never again.
Both threads ended up going off topic first,then the arguing started up.

I tried starting a thread on two different occasions never again.
Both threads ended up going off topic first,then the arguing started up.
"I tried starting a thread...never again."
That's a shame. I've started dozens and that has not been my experience. Perhaps my subject matter is too boring to evoke an argument. I find great value in the large number of informative and helpful threads posted here. Oversight by the moderators to maintain a balance between differences in opinions and heated arguments is what makes this forum so worthwhile.
I am responsible for the quality of the threads I initiate, not what contributors may negatively add to the discussion.

Reactions: Wreckhunter
DJI has had plenty of experience in gimbal design.
They know what they are doing in that area.
Broken horizons are not a result of windy conditions affecting the camera.
They are caused by your subject not having enough recognisable points for stitching software to match.
See this post :

Reactions: mavictk
I found the information jaw dropping. The technical discussion was fantastic.

I mostly take Pano photos with both Mini 3 Pro and Air2s, manually. I have set the yaw and pitch to very slow speed and usually take 5 rows x 3 columns. I took this pano in Spain with M3Pro, 68MPs after post processing. I did use 48MPs modes. Auto mode is too much of a fishbowl effects and corners very stretched. 5x3 manually gives me what I want. I think with 3x zoom will look better. I will be getting Air 3 or maybe wait for Air 3s. I use lightroom from post processing dng files.

I couldn't up load 68MPs (had warning files too large), so had to downsized to 12MPs for this forum. Very windy morning, as you can see from the waves. I was about 65m altitude. But believe me, I can print big A1 at least.

DJI_0033-Pano-2.jpg

Reactions: mavictk
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure