DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ideas for drone formation flying?

Rob, this looks like the ticket. Looking at the app user guide, it does permit multi-peer networking - up to 4 peers. If we have more than 4 that want to participate, we could do 2 flight leaders, each with 3 followers for a total of 8 drones. Or even more.

Send out an email to all attendees announcing your hair-brained scheme and directing anyone that wants to participate to download the app and read through the user guide beforehand. :cool: I gotta see if Tom Baldridge wants to try this with me this weekend so I have a solid understanding of how it works.

Hello, I am developer of the wingman app, May I ask how your flight path would be like? If it is like a field flyby that I think the app could make it works. Also you could set a camera-drone the take video for this formation which within it.

Hello, I am developer of the wingman app, May I ask how your flight path would be like? If it is like a field flyby that I think the app could make it works. Also you could set a camera-drone the take video for this formation which within it.

is there a way to get this downloaded on the Pro Plus controller by putting it on the Amazon App store ?

is there a way to get this downloaded on the Pro Plus controller by putting it on the Amazon App store ?
Sorry, This application is developed based on iOS platform, which not compatible with any Android device.
In current using iOS device is the only way.

Depends the requirement and workload, I will consider the possible to develop the Android version in future.

Wingmandami, Thanks. We were not able to try out your SW today as we were ona quest to gain some insight on the basics of formation flight itself with these drones.
I flew to LZU this AM and Rob picked me up from the airport.
After a fantastic lunch we proceeded to his usual "drone testing grounds" where we set up and after some deep exchange of thoughts on the mission which was formation flying with the drones. We are both fixed wing pilots and have done formation flying, so there was some understanding on the basics.
Well we were a flight of two today.
First we started off on DJI GO 4 on P mode and flew at very low alts trying to fly together, with FPV on our tablets. He had a smart controller and I had my trusty I pad air with retina 10".
Smart controller sucked! Could not see the drone in front of you. Both of us felt strongly the same. The iPad was awesome, even in the sunlight. The drone in front of you was in plain sight.
Now, the P mode was really not very suitable, and I suggested we try the Tripod mode. GOLD !
In the tripod mode, we were able to stick together closer, had visual contact via FPV through our screens and were able to do several runs perfectly.
Next we figured flying low, was quite limiting, so we tried a 100ft AGL. BINGO! We had no clutter of the trees and shrubs, the aircraft were against a blue sky backdrop and opened up to a better formation.
The difficult part was to identify who is flying what drone when you do VLOS. Rob is right, you need unique colors on the drones for the pilots. We had trouble when we had two up there. Imagine more than 4 -8.
One thing we we established. The 2 Mavic 2 aircraft in both P mode and tripod mode, were able to raise alarm and stop with obstacle avoidance when closer than 6 feet of each other. They were able to perceive the small object of a flying drone in front of them so well.
Many things were learned, many more to be learned.
We had a good time flying and Rob is a fantastic resource on drones, knowing things from its innards that we will not ever know, as he trouble shoots, understands the inner workings and fixes them. Seriously.
By the end of several batteries, we were tired, dehydrated and called it a day.
He was gracious as a host and took me back to the airport and I was able to fly back home.
What a fantastic day!

Thanks for the update from the field! I was hoping you guys would get to try out the Wingman app and see how well it worked. :(

@BDOG, we just wanted to get the RAW feel of it before we ventured out. Otherwise we would have nothing to compare with.
I will be downloading the app tomorrow AM and will try it out. One has to be familiar with what is on his panel and EFB to venture out and not be a statistic.

Closer than 6 feet, you guy really hard-core.

Tripod mode is a good idea for manual formation flight. I used P mode to flying together with other different drone model that is a really tough. There are background image noise, video transmission lag and so much challenges....

Closer than 6 feet, you guy really hard-core.

Tripod mode is a good idea for manual formation flight. I used P mode to flying together with other different drone model that is a really tough. There are background image noise, video transmission lag and so much challenges....
Yes, really. Its a work in progress.
I share @RCdancer vision of a fantastic fly by video, but it appears it is not as simple as it seems. Like the blue angels or any aerobatic team, we need to pick a squadron of pilots, train TOGETHER and learn to communicate in flight while we are on the ground flying. This was so obvious today.

In response: Can multiple drones be flown with one controller assuming all the drones reacted the same to the controller if you start in formation you would fly and end in same relative formation?
Just a thought!

In response: Can multiple drones be flown with one controller assuming all the drones reacted the same to the controller if you start in formation you would fly and end in same relative formation?
Just a thought!
That would take the fun and challenge out of it, wouldn't it?

Reactions: tleedom
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga