DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If only there was a little more weight allowance after 250g!

Innovation will always follow regulation, so this is a problem that will be resolved in... the next RnD cycle(probably a matter of months)

i envision one day flying a 8k drone the size of a wasp by voice command

Nobody seems to be addressing the issue by removing weight from the drone itself. How about getting a hole saw and drilling out non-structural elements (top covers, etc) to save some weight?

Nobody seems to be addressing the issue by removing weight from the drone itself. How about getting a hole saw and drilling out non-structural elements (top covers, etc) to save some weight?
Certainly possible, not sure how may grams the top cover is but I’m sure a lighter material could be found…. At probably a higher price point than Dji was willing to invest in…. Lots of wrecked drones out there for people to experiment on 😂

speed holes Flanders!

• Love
Reactions: Sparc343
If drilling the shell is a serious proposal.
The top cover and middle portion of the shell are structural items and in places have reinforcing webs that are there for a reason. The middle shell flexes more easily when the top cover is removed.
I would suggest that random drilling of holes in either of these two items from the outside-in may well weaken the shell. Then there is the obvious danger of hitting components or cables.
I would suggest that at the very least it would need to be done from the inside out so as to avoid drilling a web and it would be necessary to ensure that the material removal process did not leave scratches, cracks or sharp corners that could act as stress concentrators. A hole saw would likely leave loads of scratches.
The bottom plastic cover may not be structural but it does provide some degree of protection physical and the bottom inner metal cover is a heat sink.

Last edited by a moderator:
If drilling the shell is a serious proposal.
The top cover and middle portion of the shell are structural items and in places have reinforcing webs that are there for a reason. The middle shell flexes more easily when the top cover is removed.
I would suggest that random drilling of holes in either of these two items from the outside-in may well weaken the shell. Then there is the obvious danger of hitting components or cables.
I would suggest that at the very least it would need to be done from the inside out so as to avoid drilling a web and it would be necessary to ensure that the material removal process did not leave scratches, cracks or sharp corners that could act as stress concentrators. A hole saw would likely leave loads of scratches.
The bottom plastic cover may not be structural but it does provide some degree of protection physical and the bottom inner metal cover is a heat sink.
I would be more in favor of parts becoming available that were simply lighter and stronger…. But that truly is Dji territory, they may have to in order to keep adding features to the sub 250 category

So I may have attempted to “skeletonize“ a shell in the hopes that if you remove a bunch of material you lighten things up and then you could cover the holes with decals….this is not a path forward I would reccomend😒

it turns out the body components are actually extremely light weight already

So I may have attempted to “skeletonize“ a shell in the hopes that if you remove a bunch of material you lighten things up and then you could cover the holes with decals….this is not a path forward I would reccomend😒

it turns out the body components are actually extremely light weight already
I think it’s just speculation, I doubt it would be important enough for someone to do, however it will be interesting how Dji lightens it further

With just a little more weight leeway there would be SO much more flexibility without (IMO) sacrificing an immeasurable percent of safety.

It's a long shot, but I think the original Mavic mini 1 batteries will fit and work in the Mini 2. But not the other way around.

If this is true, DJI had a version of the mini 1 in Japan that used batteries with one cell removed to weigh in at 199 grams for Japans requirement of <200 grams.

If you acquired one of these you'd have a little wiggle room for weight.

The batteries may be hard to find since it seems they are only for Japan.

of flying over people that requires a drone to be under 250 grams with features that would prevent lacerations.

Regular prop guards won't pass.

They need to be a cage type guard like this.

But I don't think they're made for the minis. 🤔

Reactions: DJ Wes
Regular prop guards wont pass… won’t pass what exactly.

Regular prop guards wont pass… won’t pass what exactly.

The laceration of a body part.

Fingers can go thru a regular prop guard and hit the prop.

A cage is the protection the FAA wants.

i Think they will and I think that’s the protection the FAA wants

i Think they will and I think that’s the protection the FAA wants

Here's a post from @BigAl07 earlier this year.

Contact @BigAl07 for more information.

Oh I don’t need big Al’s interpretation.the rule is published

“Remote pilots are responsible for determining that their small unmanned aircraft does not exceed the weight threshold and ensuring that their small unmanned aircraft does not contain any exposed rotating parts that would lacerate human skin.”

I’ve made my determination, but it’s ok if we disagree

Reactions: MA2 317
...their small unmanned aircraft does not contain any exposed rotating parts that would lacerate human skin.”

I’ve made my determination, but it’s ok if we disagree

Fair enough. ☮️

Reactions: BigAl07
The FAA isn't going to mandate which type of "Anti-Laceration Device" you utilize as that's up to you as the Responsible Party for making sure you are in compliance. But rest assured if there IS an incident and if your chosen device allows for laceration you are no longer in compliance and the problems stack on from there.

Just like the FAA doesn't tell you which Anti-Collision Strobes to use... they tell you what the min performance standard is and it's up to the Responsible Party to make sure whatever they use at least meet that MIN requirement.

I think Prop Cages and Prop Guards are silly especially for this weight of aircraft but I didn't write the rules. I envision one day we will have props made of NERF lol

The Mini 1 batteries WILL work in the Mini 2's. I have one that I kept when I sold off my Mini 1.

I don't agree that you need a cage type prop guard to meet the requirements. There are no FAA specifications for what meets the requirements, only that the drone be equipped to prevent lacerations. As you can see from the photo, the propellers are protected from the sides, front, top and bottom. Additionally, if a Mini 2 were to crash in an odd position the props probably wouldn't be spinning anyway. The light weight of the guards, along with their flexibility and areas would distribute and soften any impact. My point is that the FAA and EU authorities set a strict and arbitrary weight limit sacrificing safety equipment that would be far more effective than purely restricting weight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR