DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If possible, I propose a little experiment by someone with the New Controller

ff22

Reactions
This Smart Controller is based on Android. I am wondering about the stability of this Android device. I've had both a phone and a tablet crash out of DJI-go. But when that happens, until it reloads or the device reboots, the REGULAR controller is still active and can bring the aircraft under control and land it if necessary. How does this device work if Android or DJI-go implodes? Or is this already a known outcome? Does its manual mention this possibility?

I saw the review above where he mentioned trying to load other apps. I also saw mention of it, I think, on the DJI sales page.

Does this thing have Home/Recent/Back functions like Android? If so, how about an experiment - Bring up Recent and Kill DJI-go? Does the controller still work? Please, if someone takes me up on this experiment make sure that the aircraft is in a stable or safe location or mode.

How 'bout it folks - any takers? (g)

Bring up Recent and Kill DJI-go? Does the controller still work? Please, if someone takes me up on this experiment make sure that the aircraft is in a stable or safe location or mode.
It looks different but it's just a controller and a fixed display.
If the display drops out, the controller is still connected, just like any other DJI controller.

Reactions: maven4336
It looks different but it's just a controller and a fixed display.
If the display drops out, the controller is still connected, just like any other DJI controller.

Is there an Android RESET or REBOOT button as opposed to only a POWER button? Or just tap the icon again and relaunch? I did look at the images they posted.

Ran a test with the SRC this morning,

The RC is ready before the display boots up, so as soon as the remote connects (LED goes from red to green) the remote is communicating with the SRC. So you can power the motors (importantly, power them down) the aircraft can be flown before the APP on the control is started.

Flew the aircraft away over fields and at around 400m powered down the controller, as expected the aircraft initiated a RTH.

Repowered the controller and as soon as it connected started beeping indicating RTH in progress. The pause button on the control stopped the RTH. Again the aircraft could be flown on the controller.

So as long as you can see the aircraft then it can be flown without the APP running or assuming it’s locked up, without using the display.

They have added a back and confirm button the controller and you can close recent applications.

Reactions: ff22 and davburr
I have another test for anyone with both the standard controller and the new smart controller.

I realize that the smart controller can't be bound to two aircrafts at once, but can the aircraft be bound to two remotes. In other words, once the aircraft is bound to the smart controller will it still recognize the old controller without being rebound? That way you can take whichever one suits your needs for the day - e.g. - if you want to use Litchi (said to not work on smart controller) or the Moverio glasses you need the standard controller.

The bind button is said to be a potential weak point that may break easily so I want to avoid having to keep pressing it.

Has anyone tried this?

No you can’t have the SRC bound to the aircraft at the same time as a standard remote. I did try this as a backup idea.

Hopefully when DJI enable the Pilot/Student option in a firmware update you can have the SRC as the main controller and link the Standard remote as the secondary remote.

Reactions: ff22
Ran a test with the SRC this morning,

The RC is ready before the display boots up, so as soon as the remote connects (LED goes from red to green) the remote is communicating with the SRC. So you can power the motors (importantly, power them down) the aircraft can be flown before the APP on the control is started.

Flew the aircraft away over fields and at around 400m powered down the controller, as expected the aircraft initiated a RTH.

Repowered the controller and as soon as it connected started beeping indicating RTH in progress. The pause button on the control stopped the RTH. Again the aircraft could be flown on the controller.

So as long as you can see the aircraft then it can be flown without the APP running or assuming it’s locked up, without using the display.

They have added a back and confirm button the controller and you can close recent applications.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the very thorough testing. It can make decision making easier.

I have another test for anyone with both the standard controller and the new smart controller.

I realize that the smart controller can't be bound to two aircrafts at once, but can the aircraft be bound to two remotes. In other words, once the aircraft is bound to the smart controller will it still recognize the old controller without being rebound? That way you can take whichever one suits your needs for the day - e.g. - if you want to use Litchi (said to not work on smart controller) or the Moverio glasses you need the standard controller.

The bind button is said to be a potential weak point that may break easily so I want to avoid having to keep pressing it.

Has anyone tried this?
I will try next week as my rc will be here Friday

It sounds as if import into the US may be held up by some info needed to clear customs. And Customs has a "do not disturb" sign on their door and desk!!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorvusWorks