DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Images opened in PS, LR, and Cap1 are being cropped automatically and are entirely different from preview. Help!

ArchiumPhotography

Reactions
Hello folks! So i have been having this problem where editing software decided to shrink my raw files. When I compose my shot, i do it thru the DJI Go App, with my camera on 3:2 setting, with only RAW enabled. On the phone preview they look kinda pixelated and strange. I grt them home and the same thing happens on the computer when using windows photo viewer, but its what I composed.
Then, i bring it into any number of editing software and its cropped itself. I’ve googled this topic up and down, and feel like Im losing my mind.
If anyone can help Id greatly appreciate, or would like to look at my raw files to see if they can take a crack st it, i will upload tomorrow when I have a more reliable connection to upload photos. Cheers.

Hello folks! So i have been having this problem where editing software decided to shrink my raw files. When I compose my shot, i do it thru the DJI Go App, with my camera on 3:2 setting, with only RAW enabled. On the phone preview they look kinda pixelated and strange. I grt them home and the same thing happens on the computer when using windows photo viewer, but its what I composed.
Unless you are using image processing software that can read the dng format of a raw image, it is going to show you a tiny jpg thumbnail that's embedded in the raw file.
Your description suggests that's what's happening.
Try looking at the pixel size of the image.
If it's 960x640, you are seeing the thumbnail rather than the actual dng file which is much larger.

Then, i bring it into any number of editing software and its cropped itself. I’ve googled this topic up and down, and feel like Im losing my mind.
If anyone can help Id greatly appreciate, or would like to look at my raw files to see if they can take a crack st it, i will upload tomorrow when I have a more reliable connection to upload photos. Cheers.
See the reply above... if you have a SD card designated as the repository for pics and videos you need to DL from there. I remove my SD card and insert it in my computer... It will appear as a drive.... open it and look i. One of the 4 sub folders for your RAW images, which will likely be .DNG. ...dL the files by drag and drop to the folder of choice (Rec make a dedicated one). Then delet the files on the card, empty your trash, and eject the card (remember, it’s a drive)..... Now reinsert the card into your M2P.

DNG files definitely work with Capture One - it's my main Cataloguing and RAW processing software. Just make sure that it's the full version and not one limited to a particular camera. e.g. the Sony only version of Capture One will only read Sony format RAW files.

I've also just tested with the latest Photoshop and Affinity Photo and they also both open DNG files.

I use the dng files from the SD card, and have no problems with the compositional framing.

I also use the DNG files from my Mavic 2 pro in photoshop by downloading the memory card files to my computer. I put the card back in the Mavic and format it there. No sign of image cropping.

Both Capture One and LR/ ACR apply a crop to the actual DNG. In Capture One you can use the crop tool and get most of the image back. In LR/ACR you are stuck with the crop as the software is seeing the image as a mirrorless camera and applying the built in lens corrections from DJI. There is no other lens profile in LR/ACR that you can assign. In capture one you can apply any number of lens profiles and over ride the manufacturer profile that is assigned. In Capture One selected an image, go to the crop tool, and then you will see the black borders which are the part of the image being cropped by default. Grab the edge and pull the border back to the full image. You can then copy this image selection to all the rest of the file to remove the crop.

Note that the camera has extreme distortion when you are looking up or down ie curved horizons. The LR/ACR profile handles this well but does cost you some image due to the crop.

By working with the various lens profiles in Capture One you can find several that will do a very good job and actually improve the edge details albeit with the loss of the distortion correction so you may have curved horizons which can be fixed easily in CC.
Paul C

See the reply above... if you have a SD card designated as the repository for pics and videos you need to DL from there. I remove my SD card and insert it in my computer... It will appear as a drive.... open it and look i. One of the 4 sub folders for your RAW images, which will likely be .DNG. ...dL the files by drag and drop to the folder of choice (Rec make a dedicated one). Then delet the files on the card, empty your trash, and eject the card (remember, it’s a drive)..... Now reinsert the card into your M2P.
Do you have a. Adobe DNG converter? Download it from Adobe. Google Adobe DNG Converter for your type of computer (PC or MAC)

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest