DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

In need of study material - Advanced Operations Flight Review!

400_feet

Reactions
Hello everyone,

I have an advanced flight review coming up in about 2 weeks. I would like to hear from people that have done the flight review and passed. Could anybody provide me with a solid document that describes most, if not all aspects of the flight review? I have the basic outline of what I will be tested on, but it would be nice to have something that explains exactly what I need to know and how to perform it during the flight review.

TIA

Reactions: Lionfish
Hi ,
I found something on the web a few days ago .
I will try to find it and get back to you if I can .
From memory
You have to perform a thorough pre-flight inspection and sight survey of the area , then perform a proper take off .
For the the flight , you have to carry out a mission which can be to fly to a tree for example , take a photo and video of the flight then return and carry out a landing.
I think that was most of the high points , they did say that the inspector s are trained to give allowances for probable nervousness from the pilots , which could be a really good thing .

I would like to ask you having done the advanced exam , how difficult on a scale of 1 to 10 is the exam ?.
I have heard that it’s straight forward enough to others saying it takes multiple try’s to pass because of it being so difficult.

I ask because I’m thinking of doing the advanced test this winter , for no other reason but for the interest value .
The basic exam was much easier than I had been led to believe from a study app I took , the guy I spoke with that owns the guide also told me off how extremely hard the advanced exam is to pass.

Well I’ll search my history and see if I can find that info for you .

Reactions: lowellton
Hi ,
I found something on the web a few days ago .
I will try to find it and get back to you if I can .
From memory
You have to perform a thorough pre-flight inspection and sight survey of the area , then perform a proper take off .
For the the flight , you have to carry out a mission which can be to fly to a tree for example , take a photo and video of the flight then return and carry out a landing.
I think that was most of the high points , they did say that the inspector s are trained to give allowances for probable nervousness from the pilots , which could be a really good thing .

I would like to ask you having done the advanced exam , how difficult on a scale of 1 to 10 is the exam ?.
I have heard that it’s straight forward enough to others saying it takes multiple try’s to pass because of it being so difficult.

I ask because I’m thinking of doing the advanced test this winter , for no other reason but for the interest value .
The basic exam was much easier than I had been led to believe from a study app I took , the guy I spoke with that owns the guide also told me off how extremely hard the advanced exam is to pass.

Well I’ll search my history and see if I can find that info for you .

If you can find the info that would be great! I'm looking for specific information. For example) identifying safe and efficient location for take off and landing during the site survey... Obviously it's a location that's away from bystanders and buildings, but I would like to know the specific definition that the reviewer is looking for.

As for the exam, it was hard. Definitely took me more than one attempt. What made the exam difficult is having to do it under 60 mins and obtaining 80% passing grade. The times I failed I was 1 or 2 questions off from getting the 80. Other than that, the set up and the questions are a lot like the basic exam. I'm sure if people were given all the time in the world to research and study the question (wording can be very tricky), everyone would get 100%.

Last edited:
Well I couldn’t find the info I was thinking of, but !!.
I’m not sure if you have seen or heard of Don Joice on YouTube and the App Store .
He has a specific video on the flight test , which I think should help you out .
He will also respond to any questions you may have .

Well I hope this helps you out .
I wish you luck for the test .
Take care .......

If you can find the info that would be great! I'm looking for specific information. For example) identifying safe and efficient location for take off and landing during the site survey... Obviously it's a location that's away from bystanders and buildings, but I would like to know the specific definition that the reviewer is looking for.

As for the exam, it was hard. Definitely took me more than one attempt. What made the exam difficult is having to do it under 60 mins and obtaining 80% passing grade. The times I failed I was 1 or 2 questions off from getting the 80. Other than that, the set up and the questions are a lot like the basic exam. I'm sure if people were given all the time in the world to research and study the question (wording can be very tricky), everyone would get 100%.
If you don’t mind too much , what study material did you use to study .
There are many apps and companies out there selling their versions of study aids , some are pretty expensive and like the one I looked at for the basic was way too in depth , I found most of the basic exam questions were straightforward safety and common sense .
Are you going to fly for business?.

Well take a look at Don’s YouTube channel, I think he has most of the answers .
Good luck with the review and let me know how it goes .

Oh there are also some companies that offer a study lesson followed by the review in a day or maybe two , if that’s any help .

Reactions: fly-guy-yyc
Hello everyone,

I have an advanced flight review coming up in about 2 weeks. I would like to hear from people that have done the flight review and passed. Could anybody provide me with a solid document that describes most, if not all aspects of the flight review? I have the basic outline of what I will be tested on, but it would be nice to have something that explains exactly what I need to know and how to perform it during the flight review.

TIA
Look for "Don Drones On" on YouTube as well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929