DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

In search of higher resolution- more camera control.

Pontoon-pilot

Reactions
Looking for a drone with more picture resolution...
My gen 1 mavic pro I've purchased used at a good price and loving every minute of it.
I like it so much that I would spend some $$ and upgrade to a better unit with more resolution and more camera function control.
Almost all of my drone use at this point is for still photography. The 12Mp pictures on the mav pro look a little weak when displayed via 1080P projector onto a 100+ inch silver screen.
I like the portability of the mavic but not sure is the mavic 2 zoom with superresolution at 48mp or mavic 2 pro with the 1 inch sensor would be a better option... or should look at other than the mavics?
Pictures are in jpg format. WOuld it yield a better on screen resolution if it was saved as BMP, can the mavic save it uncompressed?
Thanks

PS: picture pathway - > mavic -> transmitted/recorded on ipad-> uploaded to amazon photos in full res-> to hd projector on to screen.
Picture info on amazon photo cloud storage shows picture @ 4000x3000 which equals to 12 MP. It does not appear being reduced in resolution by amazon.

Last edited:
I would suggest you shoot Raw on your Mavic 1 Pro. This will allow you to fine tune your JPEG output.
12mp is more than enough to be displayed at 1080p, you could have a 100+ mp image it wouldn't look better on that screen.

I would suggest you shoot Raw on your Mavic 1 Pro. This will allow you to fine tune your JPEG output.
12mp is more than enough to be displayed at 1080p, you could have a 100+ mp image it wouldn't look better on that screen.

That is very true! Higher resolution video on a low resolution screen will not make the video higher resolution on the same screen.

picture pathway - > mavic -> transmitted/recorded on ipad-> uploaded to amazon photos in full res-
Are you taking your photos from the iPad? Your picture pathway looks like you are. As another commenter said, change to RAW in settings and download the .dng files from the SD card instead of getting the photos from the iPad, you'll get a much better quality photo.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Are you taking your photos from the iPad? Your picture pathway looks like you are. As another commenter said, change to RAW in settings and download the .dng files from the SD card instead of getting the photos from the iPad, you'll get a much better quality photo.

Yes, I have the sync file option selected, so technically the pictures should transfer to the ipad without downgrade.
The reason I did not select RAW because I don't want to do post process on 100 pictures, but I will give it a try. thanks

Yes, I have the sync file option selected, so technically the pictures should transfer to the ipad without downgrade.
The reason I did not select RAW because I don't want to do post process on 100 pictures, but I will give it a try. thanks
You almost HAVE to shoot raw/dng and post process to get every scrap of information you can out of the MP1 camera. Better yet would be to shoot AEB mode bursts and merge them, if you shoot a lot of landscapes. You'd be surprised at how much more you can get out of the MP1, but it takes some time.

If it has to be .jpg as the output file. Shoot in RAW. Post process and save as an uncompressed .jpg file or if you can view .tif (tiff) files then save in that format as there is no compression used and you will get a cleaner image. For print .tif is a great format to use to retain as much information as possible.

Reactions: Pontoon-pilot
Despite the suggestions you've had, shooting raw will not do a thing to change the resolution of your images.
If you want increased resolution, that is not the answer to your issue.

Despite the suggestions you've had, shooting raw will not do a thing to change the resolution of your images.
If you want increased resolution, that is not the answer to your issue.

Thank you all for your input and help. SO what I am gethering is...
The resolution will remain 4000x3000 pixels or 12Mp. Image detail will/may increase if the image is not compressed. Saving the image in RAW is unprocessed, uncompressed need work and may end up with better-looking pic.
At the end will it look better on the 1080P projected image?
Will a 20mp image look better on a projected image? I am beginning to think it may not.
Keep in mind when I run it through the projector the image gets blown up to a much larger size on the wall/screen than it would appear on a computer monitor or even a 60inch 4k TV.
At this point, I think as it was mentioned earlier, image quality may not improve.

The resolution will remain 4000x3000 pixels or 12Mp. Image detail will/may increase if the image is not compressed.
Saving the image in RAW is unprocessed, uncompressed need work and may end up with better-looking pic.
The resolution is going to be the same whether the original image was raw or jpg.
A raw image, is just that.
It doesn't look great unless you process it in Photoshop or similar to make it look great.
It's also quite possible to get great looking images from jpg despite the frequent forum posts that would tell you that you must shoot raw if you want good images.

Will a 20mp image look better on a projected image? I am beginning to think it may not.
Keep in mind when I run it through the projector the image gets blown up to a much larger size on the wall/screen than it would appear on a computer monitor or even a 60inch 4k TV.
At this point, I think as it was mentioned earlier, image quality may not improve.
That's all going to depend on how much you blow up the image.
If you enlarge it past breaking point, any image is going to look like mush.
A higher resolution image will enlarge further than a lower resolution image.
Get a 20 MP drone shot and experiment to see how it would look when you project it.

Reactions: Pontoon-pilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hippysmavic