DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to change from JPG to RAW?

joonrhee

Reactions
I had to first look up the manual to see how to change to portrait mode. I read and understood that I have to first be in camera mode, then swipe left for options, then select portrait mode. However, I couldn't really find how to change from JPG to RAW mode for still photos.

Has anyone try taking RAW photos? Are the files worth processing or should I just stick with JPG? Just to give you my background, I've been a photographer for many years and thus my silly questions about camera functions..

Thanks in advance!

I had to first look up the manual to see how to change to portrait mode. I read and understood that I have to first be in camera mode, then swipe left for options, then select portrait mode. However, I couldn't really find how to change from JPG to RAW mode for still photos.

Has anyone try taking RAW photos? Are the files worth processing or should I just stick with JPG? Just to give you my background, I've been a photographer for many years and thus my silly questions about camera functions..

Thanks in advance!

You've been a photographer for many years? I'm surprised your asking about "worth processing". Seriously though, I think it's depends on whether you get it right in-camera...and especially if you hate to post-process (like myself).

If the shot(s) you're trying to take has tricky lighting/exposure, then shoot in RAW...since it would allow more flexibility in post-processing. If you have great lighting/exposure, then shoot in JPG. Just my opinion.

You've been a photographer for many years? I'm surprised your asking about "worth processing". Seriously though, I think it's depends on whether you get it right in-camera...and especially if you hate to post-process (like myself).

If the shot(s) you're trying to take has tricky lighting/exposure, then shoot in RAW...since it would allow more flexibility in post-processing. If you have great lighting/exposure, then shoot in JPG. Just my opinion.

I'm sorry but why are you surprised at my question? I was simply asking if it was worth processing because of such small file size. I'm spoiled by my Sony a7RII RAW files and thus my question on whether if this Mavic's files are worth processing. I'm afraid I might not able to push/pull/modify to my liking in post. Then again, I haven't tried processing a RAW file... and speaking of RAW, do you know how to change from JPG to RAW?

Reactions: MoFoHo
You mentioned the size being small. This is only capturing 12MP RAWs and at 24MB for the shots I just took, that is about what I would expect.

Update: Working the image a bit in lightroom there is enough to work with where I would shoot RAWs for images you really want to get right. JPEG is nice .. but rarely exactly what I want.

Looks good .. but how to you get from the first screen shown to the second? What/where do you touch?

how to you get from the first screen shown to the second? What/where do you touch?
Touch the areas with the red boxes in my screenshots above.

Ah, thanks ... I'd assumed those were screenshots. Maybe add words 'touch on the red boxes' to the instructions?

I'd assumed those were screenshots
Weren't you wondering why your little red boxes were missing though? ;)

No, because you can only see those screens when all three devices are powered up. Cannot do that legally unless 'out in the field' and then one cannot read the screen well-enough to see whether there are red boxes ....

There is nothing "illegal" about powering it up anywhere.

Sorry, I should have said 'flying' -- yes, I can power it up at home, but some options (such as 'tripod mode') are only available when in the air, apparently. Flying the aircraft within 50m of a building or person is illegal, here (UK) without permission -- and one of my neighbours I am sure would say No. :)

Fortunately flying is not required for reviewing and changing settings, it is only access to the flight modes that requires you to be in the air.

I'm sorry but why are you surprised at my question? I was simply asking if it was worth processing because of such small file size. I'm spoiled by my Sony a7RII RAW files and thus my question on whether if this Mavic's files are worth processing. I'm afraid I might not able to push/pull/modify to my liking in post. Then again, I haven't tried processing a RAW file... and speaking of RAW, do you know how to change from JPG to RAW?

Well, in my experience, you take a photo when you think the view is worth capturing. And being a photographer, you'll always want the picture to look as good as possible, and with the Mavic, that means that most of the time you'll need some sort of post-processing, which is best done in RAW.

For me, there really is no reason NOT to shoot in RAW...

Raw is important for exposure and white balance changes, so the file size being smaller than your Sony (which I also own except the III version) is unrelated to the benefit of raw.

I record jpeg + RAW. Then a quick use is available as well as a high res version for more complex editing. As an aside, I change my SD card every one to two flights since I use 64GB cards (cheap now). This avoids risk of lost files.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe