DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Insuring drone gear in airline checked bag

lomposlapos

Reactions
Is there an insurance option that covers any airline worldwide loosing my checked-in bag with 2 drones, RC Pro, chargers inside? About $6,000+.

Airline standard coverage is minimal and it is an insulting joke.

Carry-on is NOT an option, except for 6 spare batteries.

Reactions: offtheback
Yep in America there is insurance for pretty much anything but it might be a bit costly since $6k is much higher than the usual $1 - $2.5k

In L.A. you can get extended coverage for your bags from a few places at the airport. BUT I don't think you can buy one from them that worth $6.000+ and its against the rules to get a couple of policies from different companies to make up the extra. Im sure as Mavic3usa said you can probably get it from somewhere. I always send my stuff ahead of me through Fed ex or UPS

Last edited:
Reactions: Nanny Ogg
Fed ex or UPS
Do you have an approx $ figure and days it took to send a drone with let's say 3 batteries and an RC Pro to any country? The problem this doesn't give you last minute options or travel multiple countries across on a short time span + custom can be a big headache. But still an interesting option.

Sorry I wouldn't Know the cost for you, you would have to ask the shipper. It is an expense though it will cost you some but the convenience far outlays the cost. not sure how it would go if you are touring multiple countries I haven't done that. I'm guessing a little high

International shipping can get expensive if you declare the batteries. They’re considered hazardous material and will cost extra to ship. I suggest carrying them on the airplane.

I insure my personal Hasselblad camera “system “ for $3000 as a personal camera with my home owners insurance. Also a Fuji T-5 for additional $1800 with lenses. No problem with accepting that coverage. Insure the CAMERA for loss or damage. That should protect you. It’s about images or video right??

Reactions: Cafguy
Is there an insurance option that covers any airline worldwide loosing my checked-in bag with 2 drones, RC Pro, chargers inside? About $6,000+.

Airline standard coverage is minimal and it is an insulting joke.

Carry-on is NOT an option, except for 6 spare batteries.
not sure why carry-on is not an option. I have flown on many airlines over the years with different drones , and of course, the batteries are always in a protective case.

Google TAP Portugal for starter.
I spent about 5 minutes on various TAP sites looking for drone restrictions but did not find anything. I know about Lithium batteries probation in baggage. I imagine they restrict drones?

I carry both my drones as hand luggage and I've flown a gazillion times. As far as insurance is concerned everything is itemized on my home insurance policy for worldwide loss, damage. It's a no brainer and relatively inexpensive. Airlines in some parts of the world will ask you if you have removed valuable items from your luggage; because theft in transit is beyond their control and clearly happens.

Thanks for sending this. I found it and here it is. I actually do the same exact thing when I fly. I put the drone in luggage and the batteries in the overhead in Lipo bags from Amazon. I know I risk theft of the drone from my luggage but my camera bag is usually too full and heavy to accommodate the two camera bodies, two lenses, etc.
  • In carry-on luggage: not allowed;
  • In checked luggage: allowed;
  • Requirements: Passengers can transport their drones in the hold baggage. Whenever possible, passengers should remove the battery from their devices and transport it (duly protected) in the hand baggage.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR