DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Interview with Rob from Thunderdrones

Rob, outstanding interview!
Love it.

Reactions: Former Member
Excellent and informative interview, Rob! What's the most exciting fixed-wing "manned" aircraft that you've flown?

Back in the 80s I went to an airshow outside of Amsterdam, NY for 1/4-scale RC planes and was absolutely stunned, not knowing that guys were building model aircraft that size! Even MORE stunned when I saw 1/4-scale WW2 era, multi-engine models as well! I'm an old USAF B-52 mechanic from 1970, so when I saw YouTube videos of RC B-52s, with jets no less, I was blown away!

I came into the quadcopter hobby from 10th scale RC trucks. Had a Revo 2.5 converted from Nitro to Brushless with a GraveDigger body that would do 45MPH on the beach; and a Traxxas "Slash" that handled like a USAC Sprint car on dirt! Sold these to finance my Mavic Pro acquisition.

Again GREAT interview, and THANK you for your service to this family of flyers of which I've become a member!

Reactions: Former Member
Excellent and informative interview, Rob! What's the most exciting fixed-wing "manned" aircraft that you've flown?

Back in the 80s I went to an airshow outside of Amsterdam, NY for 1/4-scale RC planes and was absolutely stunned, not knowing that guys were building model aircraft that size! Even MORE stunned when I saw 1/4-scale WW2 era, multi-engine models as well! I'm an old USAF B-52 mechanic from 1970, so when I saw YouTube videos of RC B-52s, with jets no less, I was blown away!

I came into the quadcopter hobby from 10th scale RC trucks. Had a Revo 2.5 converted from Nitro to Brushless with a GraveDigger body that would do 45MPH on the beach; and a Traxxas "Slash" that handled like a USAC Sprint car on dirt! Sold these to finance my Mavic Pro acquisition.

Again GREAT interview, and THANK you for your service to this family of flyers of which I've become a member!

I appreciate that!

Even with all the high performance aircraft I have flown, the most exciting fixed wing aircraft I have flown are the Piper Cub and the Stearman PT-17 biplane. To me, exciting means high maintenance and extra precautions, and with everything being manual on the Cub and Stearman, you really have to be on your toes. Just taxiing to the active can be interesting on a windy day, having to keep the wing tip and tail down, S turns, and open cabin (optional on the Cub) make things exciting. Taking off is fun too, full throttle, tail wheel comes up, keep the wing tip down into the wind, lots of rudder, and off you go. Its the most fun you can have in the air at 60mph.

I had the same reaction to the first RC plane I saw as you did. I was riding my bike near the beach as a kid in the 60's, and saw these RC planes flying. As I rode closer, I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. How could they make an engine that small fit into a model? And how can they control the model? As I rode closer, I saw who was flying and what they were doing, and I was entranced. I guess my curiosity got the best of me and I got a little too close and wandered out on to the flight line. One of the guys came running up to me and started yelling at me to get the heck out of there! Still, an awesome experience that I have flashbacks of every now and then. I guess it most happens when DJI comes out with a new drone. Im a kid again. (I fell like Burl Ives telling a Christmas story)

So, you found drones after using Traxxas models for a while? I wish that Traxxas made a drone as high end as the Mavic. The Aton is great but unfortunately not up to the level of the Mavic. You know well how you can buy any Traxxas part, down to the tiniest screw, and how easy replacement parts are to find. Also, parts are not expensive, and Traxxas knows you will be fixing it yourself. I really like their products, their availability, and the company itself. They are rock solid, never fail, and you can beat the crap out of them, replace a $2.00 part, and get back to having fun.

Here is a little project I made that started life as a Traxxas Summit. Everything works, and it takes a 4 channel radio to drive it, with granny gear, and a 10 channel radio take use all the functions.

2 smaller.jpg6 smaller.jpg5.jpg

Reactions: mnis
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xyggi