DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Introducing the new Cyclone Antenna System

My next installment of range vs the metal city of Chicago. Today I wanted to do a second test using the Titan Whip accessory vs the stock antenna. I WILL get back to amplified Cyclone testing but limited time today (mama wants to go shopping so no play time). The setup. Going from Cyclone panel to Whips is incredibly simple. Basically click click ready. Quick disconnects are rather tight but I would guess they will loosen up over time but tight is good as they say.... Just noting for weaker fingered individuals. Same adjustability as stock and remove and fold up for easy storage in the case. I do like the provided "bat wing" antenna separator/alignment piece. Makes for accurate setup and simple install in my view. Reminder for anyone not impressed with my results. They are My results from what I believe DJI would describe as the Worst possible flight senario. I included a photo of what just my take off area looks like on the Clean side. Corner lot with power/cable/phone lines on all sides. So the flight. I did the Exact same path as previous with the Cyclone only using the Whips today. Results sadly for me were virtually a mirror of the stock antenna results. About 20 Feet further than I got with stock but personally I would call that a wash of luck. As illustrated, at this point transmitter and HD both vanished. I made multiple attempts to squeeze more out of it but no dice. Signals just kept vaporizing and the screen would shut down to give me a nice heart rate increase. Overall, not much to write home about for improvement. However, I do like that (based on my area test) it looks like the whip setup can at the very least replicate the stock setup. YMMV. My result for Whips as shown below. Stock 1950' - 1975' ish. With Whips installed same path and Almost same flight elevation I achieved 2008. I would call it 1990 - 2000 before the little guy was out of all signal. I will continue a second test hopefully tomorrow same as before but have my fingers crossed on Possibly a Long range test at a friends house who lives by a beautiful IL corn field.....

The Better take off direction as tested. Not great and yes I stand under this area for flight...
IMG_8772.jpg
Front with iPad 4 and New fancy skins!
IMG_8767.jpg

Back with iPad 4
IMG_8768.jpg

Side View
IMG_8769.jpg

And the not so amazing end result...
IMG_0015.PNG

Reactions: MrsTreat
Minor technical note incase we have any detective photo sleuths out there. lol This is the same Mavic setup I just couldn't resist adding the new skins. I doubt they will do anything to alter my results but I could care less cause I think they look darn cool! Got these from the same place with the antenna. There called "Purple/Green Chameleon Carbon Fiber". Looks blue from the front, Green blue from the side, and kind of Prince purple from the rear. I think it looks good but everyones taste is different...... My opinion, not really hard to install. Light clean buggy stuff off drone with 91% alcohol and a steady hand. Took about an hour (ish) If anything I hope it helps minimize transportation scratches. Nothing will protect a crash which I Hope never happens!!

IMG_8770.jpg

IMG_8771.jpg

Minor technical note incase we have any detective photo sleuths out there. lol This is the same Mavic setup I just couldn't resist adding the new skins. I doubt they will do anything to alter my results but I could care less cause I think they look darn cool! Got these from the same place with the antenna. There called "Purple/Green Chameleon Carbon Fiber". Looks blue from the front, Green blue from the side, and kind of Prince purple from the rear. I think it looks good but everyones taste is different...... My opinion, not really hard to install. Light clean buggy stuff off drone with 91% alcohol and a steady hand. Took about an hour (ish) If anything I hope it helps minimize transportation scratches. Nothing will protect a crash which I Hope never happens!!

View attachment 19645

View attachment 19646

Nice skin! In regards to the whips for the Mavic, those are a replacement for the factory antennas for when you want to fly with omnis like stock. On the Mavic you should only expect a max of 8-10% increase with the whips. The qma connections do get easier over time as well. Thanks for the reviews and honesty. I think it's good for others to see.

Snuck in another short test today using the Cyclone antenna. Still plans to do a long range test soon but for now this is simply a step by step roulette game to see how far this will go in my above described signal deficit area. So far the antenna is winning the confidence test, I am still to cheap and cautious to just say F-it. So with the Same parameters done from the start, due north, approx. 380 foot elevation, same position in power line surrounded yard Im off! To recap, I started Stock with a flat out 1950' (plus minus 20' ish), using Cyclone antenna test one (shown) I moved on to 3941' with a shaky hand, and today I feel was a fairly respectable improvement stopping at 5427'. Still had transmitter signal though I was starting to see HD signal starting to flash and moderately break down. I May try to go further from this location and if there is anything holly cow I'll present it but for now my comfort level at this location is sketchy. Based on My results I am getting Roughly 3 times the distance I had stock from My signal area. Probably not a world record to most nor even that interesting but to me I feel like I got my moneys worth on this investment. I will however restrain my run out and buy one confidence till After I do a open field long range test. That to me would be the icing on the cake and worthy of my complete vote. Reminder, my results and percentage improvements are based on my lack of skill and flying area. Don't call me if your results are not the exact same. Lol. FYI, for my own interest I made a second run going Slightly NE of the test direction. More city area but I wanted to make certain this antenna does more than North!! lol Pretty much verified the other test was good though the HD signal was flashing and dumping quickly. My guess is the Many businesses etc were hammering it with wifi. My guess anyway. Hope this helps someone. Happy flying.

Same test parameters as previous flight With Cyclone again.
IMG_0021.PNG

Verification test Same parameters only moved Slightly more NE of target direction. Just for funzies.
IMG_0018.PNG

Snuck in another short test today using the Cyclone antenna. Still plans to do a long range test soon but for now this is simply a step by step roulette game to see how far this will go in my above described signal deficit area. So far the antenna is winning the confidence test, I am still to cheap and cautious to just say F-it. So with the Same parameters done from the start, due north, approx. 380 foot elevation, same position in power line surrounded yard Im off! To recap, I started Stock with a flat out 1950' (plus minus 20' ish), using Cyclone antenna test one (shown) I moved on to 3941' with a shaky hand, and today I feel was a fairly respectable improvement stopping at 5427'. Still had transmitter signal though I was starting to see HD signal starting to flash and moderately break down. I May try to go further from this location and if there is anything holly cow I'll present it but for now my comfort level at this location is sketchy. Based on My results I am getting Roughly 3 times the distance I had stock from My signal area. Probably not a world record to most nor even that interesting but to me I feel like I got my moneys worth on this investment. I will however restrain my run out and buy one confidence till After I do a open field long range test. That to me would be the icing on the cake and worthy of my complete vote. Reminder, my results and percentage improvements are based on my lack of skill and flying area. Don't call me if your results are not the exact same. Lol. FYI, for my own interest I made a second run going Slightly NE of the test direction. More city area but I wanted to make certain this antenna does more than North!! lol Pretty much verified the other test was good though the HD signal was flashing and dumping quickly. My guess is the Many businesses etc were hammering it with wifi. My guess anyway. Hope this helps someone. Happy flying.

View attachment 19664

Verification test Same parameters only moved Slightly more NE of target direction. Just for funzies.
View attachment 19665

Great job in your RF forsaken area! [emoji1]
I'd say it's doing a great job. Btw, when you are coming up to Michigan, you should give me a bump. I'll message me cell to you. Maybe we could get a brew or coffee. Anyhow, thanks so much for the input!

View attachment 19664

View attachment 19665

How are you pointing the antenna? At the ground? Level with the ground or up?

The tendency is to point it "upward"... I've played around skipping the signal off the ground essentially if that makes sense. A tripod is useful, although I don't use one. Just small adjustments, and read the signal gauges.

Basically that antenna is punching through tons of noise and trees. It's going to be struggling no matter what system you use.

Reactions: Soft7 and rotor
How are you pointing the antenna? At the ground? Level with the ground or up?

The tendency is to point it "upward"... I've played around skipping the signal off the ground essentially if that makes sense. A tripod is useful, although I don't use one. Just small adjustments, and read the signal gauges.

Basically that antenna is punching through tons of noise and trees. It's going to be struggling no matter what system you use.

Lightspeeds, I am new but I did research enough to know how to point the antenna. I have it perfectly oriented and use the same position each time. Appreciate your interest. For me I am asking this antenna to punch through a forest woven with Chicago style grid power lines the entire way. The manufacturer never claimed any success with this type of use but so far they have Exceeded my expectations in every way.

Reactions: Elliott
Lightspeed or Tiger as you like to call everyone?? Not sure if your beef is with me or with the manufacturer of this product but it is beginning to feel a bit like stalking. You have shown you have no valid interest in this product other than personal negative criticism or attempts to show they are wrong or I am for buying it. I Purposely moved my input to another page in hopes you would just Move On but that is clearly not the case... Being new to this forum I personally don't know what your true intentions are Nor Care! If you disagree with me or the products manufacturer feel free to skip this page? Please consider me Not interested in your opinion. Thanks Tiger, Lion, Kitty, whatever........

Lightspeed or Tiger as you like to call everyone?? Not sure if your beef is with me or with the manufacturer of this product but it is beginning to feel a bit like stalking. You have shown you have no valid interest in this product other than personal negative criticism or attempts to show they are wrong or I am for buying it. I Purposely moved my input to another page in hopes you would just Move On but that is clearly not the case... Being new to this forum I personally don't know what your true intentions are Nor Care! If you disagree with me or the products manufacturer feel free to skip this page? Please consider me Not interested in your opinion. Thanks Tiger, Lion, Kitty, whatever........

Easy tiger. It's a term of endearment! My true intentions were to offer help. But no matter what I asked or suggested you came back all defensive.

For a dude with a Pacer I thought you'd be nicer to people.

TLS, the last sentence provides us with the info. To know that truly shows you are a stalker. You never provide constructive criticism, it's always critical. Yelobird is a super nice guy and has been unbelievably patient with you. He is spot on. You criticize and then instead of stopping there you have to put that "jab" in before you're finished. You do just need to go if you can't provide constructive criticism....

Fingers crossed today looks like a good day for a long range field test. Found a spot near a friends house down south to park. 6 miles of corn, soy beans, and farms in the flat lands known as IL. Hopefully no corn or Mavics will be injured in this attempt. My thought is to run one battery out in slow go pace and another in sport mode. May hopefully be able to fly at a slightly lower elevation than my current position since corn is a relatively low obstacle.

Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 9.47.14 AM.png

7b9c3a6cc9b667419408a209114cbab4.jpg

Here is our circular polarized non amped only $129 :)

So the original post was for an *amped* antenna? How do you get power to it?
Nevermind - the product page made all clear. Nice dang setup I gotta say!

Last edited:

That pic is our non amped and was in response to someone showing their non amped "circular polarized" antenna for $189. Our non amped is $129. Our amped version is the Cyclone and is $249 which is what this thread is mostly about.

Reactions: Brojon

The Cyclone has amps and batteries built in. The standard panel doesn't. Non-Amped doesn't need batteries.

If your still needing more info you can go to their website.

TLS, the last sentence provides us with the info. To know that truly shows you are a stalker. You never provide constructive criticism, it's always critical. Yelobird is a super nice guy and has been unbelievably patient with you. He is spot on. You criticize and then instead of stopping there you have to put that "jab" in before you're finished. You do just need to go if you can't provide constructive criticism....

Yeah I'm a stalker! Lol [emoji23]

What you don't realize is I've been watching this and the other thread since it was started. So no one is following anyone. Don't flatter yourself. If you look way back I was one of the first people to talk about Titan on this forum. The same questions I am asking now. Where's the proof? Now there's some proof that the antenna is better than a non amped panel, but nothing mind blowing.

Thanks.

That pic is our non amped and was in response to someone showing their non amped "circular polarized" antenna for $189. Our non amped is $129. Our amped version is the Cyclone and is $249 which is what this thread is mostly about.
I'm surprised you guys didn't reach out to me for testing. I've tested nearly every antenna setup except yours. I potentially could break my own distance record with your setup. Looks like a nice clean setup.

Reactions: cderoche
Long day.... Of course mama spotted an outlet mall along the way so now I have a long range test and she got Another purse..... Soft start post, a few have inquired (or negatively accused) this product of being to bulky or not portable. I thought I would show my modest transport setup with the entire kit as I use it. As mentioned I find the antenna's (both whip and Cyclone amp) pop on and off in seconds. I am using an off the shelf Amazon purchase Mavic case (can't remember the name?) but it's not very large. Everything easily fit in the case without damage or fuss excluding the landing pad round bag. That is larger than my case so I simply hand carry that. Not a promotion of the case but I thought I would share what it looks like in scale packed up for departure/take-off. Pretty cheap case but it works for me and my application. Hope the photos paint a better picture than my words. I do love that chameleon skin changing color. Wasn't sure I would like defacing the Mavic with decals but it did turn out nice. I think anyway. Last comment, the Cyclone antenna actually closes up and zips into the top I simply wanted to show where it was located for perspective.

IMG_8784.JPG

IMG_8786.JPG

I'm surprised you guys didn't reach out to me for testing. I've tested nearly every antenna setup except yours. I potentially could break my own distance record with your setup. Looks like a nice clean setup.

Your record was with stock controller right? Just a battery mod?

Any antenna system is bulky compared to the stock setup. Putting a antenna takes longer than folding the antennas up.

I had several antenna setups. I prefer the stock controller for on the fly quick setup and flying.

Some people prefer bulky, slow, ugly cars and some prefer Ferraris. Depends on your taste and needs I suppose.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998