DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Introducing the new Cyclone Antenna System

The long awaited (for me) Longer range test of the Cyclone antenna. Day looked great and mild at only 5-7 miles per hour. Pretty much the same old setup for me, 390 foot elevation only this time straight South and near a friends house down south with plenty of corn fields. I was not looking to break any records Not break any drones on this First ever farther than 1 mile trip for me. Just seeing what I, this drone, and the antenna can safely do. First failure on my part..... On Google maps from X miles up this looked like Prime drone country. It was! Until I hit 3 miles out and was facing what appears to be the entire counties base power station! Not sure if that was the issue but I was flying along like a Slow bullet with rather strong signal then Bam, it felt like the HD signal hit a wall! I included a picture to show how all of the areas high voltage lines come from or triangulate this facility. Was that it? Not certain. Anyway I still successfully achieved the goal I set out for Myself. 16,361 feet or 6.2 miles round trip. I had plenty of battery left and my guess is it could have gone further but I felt comfortable with my result and I feel like the antenna did what it proposed to do. I included a Google map picture of this power whatever facility that acted like my security fence. In time I plan to do many more flights and hope to do so safely. For now I would say this antenna setup has done exactly what it needs to long range. For Heavily congested areas as I posted earlier it's a No Brainer and Far exceeded my expectations. Is it the Best antenna ever made?? I have No idea as this is the only one I have ever owned and I don't believe in Speculating, assuming, or pimping a product since there are Far to many variables for each user! If everyone flew with the same skill and regional obstacles that would be great. Every need is going to be different. Overall I am very satisfied with this purchase, the support, the quality, the fit, and most importantly how it drastically improved MY performance/needs. Hope this helps some and I hope I coved some of the questions others may have in considering this or any product similar. Safe flying all. I will upload one additional video I thought was kind of cool. Happy flying all. Even you Lightspeed, (sorry we got off on the wrong foot).

Guess I should have looked for That on the map before heading out! Umphhhh.
Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 5.11.41 PM.png

Just turned around after hitting what I believe to be the Power Base triangle in the corn. Panic push on the RTH after the screen flashed.
IMG_0025.PNG

Reactions: KONY and scottebay
Just a departing Slow Motion shot of the Mavics arrival back home safe.. Fly safe all!!

Reactions: scottebay
Great post Yelobird! Thanks for taking all the time to detail everything. No matter what one particular poster says or claims I think your review is awesome!! :)
Thanks SRJ. Don't really care what anyone actually says/claims, my review is honest and recorded to the best of my ability for credibility. I don't sell anything, I only share what my factual results are good Or bad. Have a great day All!

Thanks for taking the time to report Yelobird. Thats a great improvement on range for your case. Speaking of case, looks nice and well organized. I will be ordering the Tactical case as I prefer large screen navigation. I bought the Mavic mostly for its performance and compactness in the sky rather than traveling the world with it. Picked up a new iPad Pro 10.5 last week. That was enough damage in the pocketbook. Speaking of Pocketbook, my wife too had to reward herself from me spending my share with a Coach bag. Live life and enjoy! We are here for a short time :)

Any antenna system is bulky compared to the stock setup. Putting a antenna takes longer than folding the antennas up.

I had several antenna setups. I prefer the stock controller for on the fly quick setup and flying.

Some people prefer bulky, slow, ugly cars and some prefer Ferraris. Depends on your taste and needs I suppose.

I have 2 controllers, one stock and one modified for over 15 miles range. Both are useful depending on the desired flight. I fly over 10 miles out in congested silicon valley. I think the Titan offering is quite appealing with the all contained setup which is easily mounted. If you're not interested in this setup, why are you trolling?

I have 2 controllers, one stock and one modified for over 15 miles range. Both are useful depending on the desired flight. I fly over 10 miles out in congested silicon valley. I think the Titan offering is quite appealing with the all contained setup which is easily mounted. If you're not interested in this setup, why are you trolling?

Don't bother CyberNate, your beating a dead Tiger. lol

The long awaited (for me) Longer range test of the Cyclone antenna. Day looked great and mild at only 5-7 miles per hour. Pretty much the same old setup for me, 390 foot elevation only this time straight South and near a friends house down south with plenty of corn fields. I was not looking to break any records Not break any drones on this First ever farther than 1 mile trip for me. Just seeing what I, this drone, and the antenna can safely do. First failure on my part..... On Google maps from X miles up this looked like Prime drone country. It was! Until I hit 3 miles out and was facing what appears to be the entire counties base power station! Not sure if that was the issue but I was flying along like a Slow bullet with rather strong signal then Bam, it felt like the HD signal hit a wall! I included a picture to show how all of the areas high voltage lines come from or triangulate this facility. Was that it? Not certain. Anyway I still successfully achieved the goal I set out for Myself. 16,361 feet or 6.2 miles round trip. I had plenty of battery left and my guess is it could have gone further but I felt comfortable with my result and I feel like the antenna did what it proposed to do. I included a Google map picture of this power whatever facility that acted like my security fence. In time I plan to do many more flights and hope to do so safely. For now I would say this antenna setup has done exactly what it needs to long range. For Heavily congested areas as I posted earlier it's a No Brainer and Far exceeded my expectations. Is it the Best antenna ever made?? I have No idea as this is the only one I have ever owned and I don't believe in Speculating, assuming, or pimping a product since there are Far to many variables for each user! If everyone flew with the same skill and regional obstacles that would be great. Every need is going to be different. Overall I am very satisfied with this purchase, the support, the quality, the fit, and most importantly how it drastically improved MY performance/needs. Hope this helps some and I hope I coved some of the questions others may have in considering this or any product similar. Safe flying all. I will upload one additional video I thought was kind of cool. Happy flying all. Even you Lightspeed, (sorry we got off on the wrong foot).

Guess I should have looked for That on the map before heading out! Umphhhh.
View attachment 19749

Just turned around after hitting what I believe to be the Power Base triangle in the corn. Panic push on the RTH after the screen flashed.
View attachment 19750

Nice flight! Looks like prime drone flying to me! You're battery will be the next mod. That's what I'm doing next. I've only done 22,000' and that's the batteries limitation without perfect no wind scenarios.

Oh but I am interested. This all started because everyone was excited and asking whether they should buy it. All I did was point out there was no factual results to backup their claims. And all Titans "friends" got upset.

I was discussing these guys in the Phantom Pilots forum a year ago. I'm intrigued. But don't know if I want to go that path again.

Your flight tells us the stock controller is near perfection!

Yelobird, thanks again for your time & effort! Your test results are most encouraging as I just received notification that my unit has shipped. It's going on a P3P and will post test results as well.

Yelobird, thanks again for your time & effort! Your test results are most encouraging as I just received notification that my unit has shipped. It's going on a P3P and will post test results as well.
Glad my info was helpful in your decision. I hope your results are equal or Better for your setup. Good Luck!

I have seriously been thinking of going to a enhanced antenna system for my Mavic controller. The Mavic has been a awesome machine it just puts a smile on my face whenever I fly it. The stock Mavic controller has very good range in most conditions, however in the heavy wood rolling hills around my family's farm the range takes a beating compared to more open land.

I really don't care to be flying 3 miles out setting any distance records my main concern is just better HD video signal in these thick wooded areas. I also have very little wifi in my very rural area so that's not a major concern.

I had narrowed down my choice to either the titan cyclone(maybe over kill for me not sure) or the titan control non amp/battery model. I may just buy another new controller and have it mod to one of the above titan models. I"ll then keep my current stock remote for transport/hiking duty since it's small and lite weight to carry/pack.

Last edited:
Reactions: bc1199s
Steel, if I were you, I'd get the amplified version. You will have the opportunity to venture out further if you wish rather than being limited. You never know... Aside from that, I personally would want the insurance of a good connection to not lose the craft in flight.

I have seriously been thinking of going to a enhanced antenna system for my Mavic controller. The Mavic has been a awesome machine it just puts a smile on my face whenever I fly it. The stock Mavic controller has very good range in most conditions, however in the heavy wood rolling hills around my family's farm the range takes a beating compared to more open land.

I really don't care to be flying 3 miles out setting any distance records my main concern is just better HD video signal in these thick wooded areas. I also have very little wifi in my very rural area so that's not a major concern.

I had narrowed down my choice to either the titan cyclone(maybe over kill for me not sure) or the titan control non amp/battery model. I may just buy another new controller and have it mod to one of the above titan models. I"ll then keep my current stock remote for transport/hiking duty since it's small and lite weight to carry/pack.

I wish I could advise but the only facts I can present are based on my example and area. Maybe if you describe what limitations you are facing specifically more tested advise would be shared from the brain trust of more seasoned users have found. Like, is the issue an HD knockout at 1900 feet like me or fizzling out at 2 miles? Just saying while most every product is tested by members, it does seem like some are specifically focused on a stronger weakness. Sometimes stock might even be the answer? I personally love my decision on the amped unit but that fit My specific limitation. Hope you find yours!

SR, I think I have a similar situation as far as the type of terrain you are facing. I will be testing my Cyclone soon and can give you an idea how it will work for you.

hmm this thing seems to be great...I can only imagine how much more dramatic of a pix i could have taken on my last trip had i owned those...will highly consider

thanx

for the Mavic we've had 18,500 ft one way stock, 33,576 ft with a 5000 mah battery mod, 26,500 ft with a smaller battery mod.

what you call battery mod ? and where to buy them.

basically i don't really understand that answer...poster was asking what is the range with that RC mod Versus Stock RC

that's why, to me, your answer about battery mod seems out of topic...but can you specify ?

and if the bump in range with modified batteries (whatever that means) are as you stated , so what is the range with stock battery (because your answer seem to refer to "stock'' Remote control) ?

Thank you

Reactions: metamatic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78