DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad mini 3 wifi homepoint

dcb942

Reactions
I have an ipad mini 3 (wifi only) lying around that I planned on using for my Mavic. I had been using my iPhone 7 but bought a mavmount and was going to start using the ipad. I read in other forum posts that you cannot update the homepoint with a wifi only ipad. This does not make sense to me, can anyone confirm? If this was the case wouldn't the mavic try to land where you were standing with the controller and not where it was launched from? Its pouring here but I will try later today. I was planning on tethering my iPhone to the ipad when I fly to get maps. The frustrating thing is I literally just sent back an Nvidia Shield because I decided to just use this ipad instead and save money.

When the Mavic starts up, it'll always automatically mark the home point if it has a good GPS connection. It uses the GPS receiver inside of the Mavic to find its current location when marking the home point. After that has been done, you can manually reset the home point again at anytime. If your mobile device does not have a GPS receiver, you'll only be able to set the home point to the Mavic's current location.

To manually reset the home point, swipe to the left on the DJI GO screen and choose the desired option.

DJI-GO-Reset-Home-Point-Slide-Screen-Left.jpg

Those home point settings can also be accessed from the top of the "Main Controller Settings" section of DJI GO.

DJI-GO-Reset-Home-Point.jpg

When the Mavic starts up, it'll always automatically mark the home point if it has a good GPS connection. It uses the GPS receiver inside of the Mavic to find its current location when marking the home point. After that has been done, you can manually reset the home point again at anytime. If your mobile device does not have a GPS receiver, you'll only be able to set the home point to the Mavic's current location.

To manually reset the home point, swipe to the left on the DJI GO screen and choose the desired option.

View attachment 4509

Those home point settings can also be accessed from the top of the "Main Controller Settings" section of DJI GO.

View attachment 4510
Okay that makes sense, so if during a flight I travel somewhere else I would not be able to update the homepoint. The mavic would be able to RTH to the old homepoint only.

You would only be able to reset the home point to the Mavic's current location. If you need to reset the home point to your location, you could attach a GPS receiver (like one of these) to your iPad Mini.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS