DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IPad mini + cellular or not

Reactions
I'm in the market for the IPad mini 4 to use solely with my MP. Does it need to have cellular? What are the pros and cons if it's optional? - Thanks

If you purchase the cellular model, it'll have a GPS receiver. The GPS receiver will be active even if you do not sign up for a cellular plan. With GPS on you mobile device, you'll be able to use the Follow Me flight mode and manually reset the home point to your location location after taking off. If you do not need to use those features, then a Wi-Fi only iPad Mini 4 would be an okay choice for you.

Also, if you enable the cellular service, you'll be able to access the Internet while out flying. That would allow you to do things like download the maps in real-time (so you don't have to cache them). Again though, if you don't need to access the Internet while flying, then there would be no benefit to purchasing the cellular model.

If you purchase the cellular model, it'll have a GPS receiver. The GPS receiver will be active even if you do not sign up for a cellular plan. With GPS on you mobile device, you'll be able to use the Follow Me flight mode and manually reset the home point to your location location after taking off. If you do not need to use those features, then a Wi-Fi only iPad Mini 4 would be an okay choice for you.

Also, if you enable the cellular service, you'll be able to access the Internet while out flying. That would allow you to do things like download the maps in real-time (so you don't have to cache them). Again though, if you don't need to access the Internet while flying, then there would be no benefit to purchasing the cellular model.
In other words, if I'm flying points A to B, and want point B as my landing point, then I could manually set it during flight if I got cellular?

I do not have cell in my iPad, simple work around: I turn on the access point in my phone, and connect the iPad to the phone. No GPS for follow me, but internet is on. That’s my solution with the free iPad I received. If I want a follow me, I fly using the phone.

Reactions: dck22
Without GPS on your mobile device, you can only reset the home point to your Mavic's current location. With GPS on your mobile device, you can also reset the home point to your mobile device's current location at anytime.

My Mini 4 does not have cellular and works just fine for me, for how I fly. I did not want to have to pay for another cellular line fee. I just have to make sure I load the map in GO4 while I have a WiFi signal. Since I also have an iPhone, I figure I could HotSpot my iPad thru cellular if needed. If I was going to do Follow Me or any activity where I needed GPS I would use my iPhone with the controller instead of my iPad. But I have been using the iPad more because I like the larger screen. So far this has been working well from me. I usually fly out and back to home. rarely do I move very far from the home point.

My Mini 4 does not have cellular and works just fine for me, for how I fly. I did not want to have to pay for another cellular line fee. I just have to make sure I load the map in GO4 while I have a WiFi signal. Since I also have an iPhone, I figure I could HotSpot my iPad thru cellular if needed. If I was going to do Follow Me or any activity where I needed GPS I would use my iPhone with the controller instead of my iPad. But I have been using the iPad more because I like the larger screen. So far this has been working well from me. I usually fly out and back to home. rarely do I move very far from the home point.
Thanks for the info, Loco, I haven'the ventured far from my property either. But I do have a pair of the goggles so I do fly out of sight, so loading the map would help if I get disoriented.

I would choose the cellular just for GPS.... this is what I have and I can still use all functions (mentioned by msinger).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MemphisDrone