DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad mini help please

Haga lout

Reactions
hi right I've been using a Samsung tab A6 but it keeps crashing with the dji go4 app so I've got a iPad mini 1 that I use all the time but it will not download the dji go4 app as the osi is only version 9 and I need version 11 to run go4 app so Whitch iPad mini do you use will mini2 do as I don't need to spend loads on the latest iPad only going to be used for dji go4 . Other than that what tablet do you use I want somthing about the size of the iPad mini I want something I can get in the uk

You'll need at least an iPad Mini 2.

You can find a complete list of compatible Apple devices here.

I've been using the iPad Mini 2 Wifi only 32gb, it's about 1/4 full and DJI app crashes on me quite often too. Just loses the connection, was quite worrying when flying a fully automated matrix and I lost the video feed... thank good for flying VLOS!

Strange I use the iPad mini 2 quite often and haven’t had any real trouble.

I recently received my Mavic Air and using my IPhone 6plus phone to fly is not working for me....screen is too small.
I have been trying to research which IPad mini to buy and I believe the IPad mini 2 should work just fine.
Here is where it gets a little fuzzy, can I just get WiFi only iPad and use my iPhone to create a hot spot to have GPS?
Thanks.

Yes,Wi-Fi is enough, just cache the map where you are flying before leaving home or you can just hotspot your phone to the tablet.

Reactions: Spot25
can I just get WiFi only iPad and use my iPhone to create a hot spot to have GPS?
No. Connecting to a hotspot will only share the Internet connection.

Ok, thanks for the additional comments. I’m going to look for a iPad mini 2 or 3 with WiFi and cellular. Thanks everyone....

No. Connecting to a hotspot will only share the Internet connection.
While this is true you don’t really need GPS on the iPad. It’s only needed when you want to reset home point automatically when you move away farther away from takeoff point or to use the follow me mode (as in, follow my phone/tablet by GPS). I personally don’t like auto home point and rarely track by gps (instead using optical), but If do want to use them I could just use my phone for that session.

I wouldn’t let the lack of GPS effect my decision to buy a WiFi only iPad mini. The cost difference is often large, and to me not worth it unless you will actually use it for cellular data. Heck the difference in price is usually much greater than the price for a good tiny Bluetooth GPS receiver that will also give true gps to the iPad.

Mike

While this is true you don’t really need GPS on the iPad. It’s only needed when you want to reset home point automatically when you move away farther away from takeoff point or to use the follow me mode (as in, follow my phone/tablet by GPS). I personally don’t like auto home point and rarely track by gps (instead using optical), but If do want to use them I could just use my phone for that session.

I wouldn’t let the lack of GPS effect my decision to buy a WiFi only iPad mini. The cost difference is often large, and to me not worth it unless you will actually use it for cellular data. Heck the difference in price is usually much greater than the price for a good tiny Bluetooth GPS receiver that will also give true gps to the iPad.

Mike
Great point Mike and you are exactly right about the price difference. Thanks for the input, much appreciated.
Bob.

Reactions: Tinmania
One other thing.... granted it’s probably too late. Last weekend Walmarts, at least around here, were selling their demo iPad mini 4 WiFi for $99. I snagged one and it seems as good as new. Might be worth checking to see if any are left.

Works great with my Mavic Pro.

Mike

One other thing.... granted it’s probably too late. Last weekend Walmarts, at least around here, were selling their demo iPad mini 4 WiFi for $99. I snagged one and it seems as good as new. Might be worth checking to see if any are left.

Works great with my Mavic Pro.

Mike
Thanks for the heads up, I’ll check it out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78