DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IPad Mini

I In The Sky

Reactions
I have been flying my MP for a little over a month and love it. I am using my IPhone 7Plus and have found the screen to be too small. I have an opportunity to buy an IPad Mini 3 w/ 32g for $125.00. Does anybody use a mini and what are your thoughts verses a mini or an Ipad pro.
Thank you and happy flying!!!

One thing to keep in mind is that the cell versions have GPS built in, the wifi only versions do not. GPS is highly recommended for your tablet controller as far as RTH (return to home) and other things are concerned.

Ipad mini will (just barely) fit directly into the bottom of the RC where you hold the phone. Convenient.

This is what I've learned form reading. Hope it helps.

Does anybody use a mini and what are your thoughts verses a mini or an Ipad pro.
I have an iPad Mini 2 & 4. Size-wise, the screen is the largest I'd ever need. If you're not sure which size would be best for you, you could go to a location that sells both (e.g. BestBuy or an Apple store) and see which one looks best to your eye.

GPS is highly recommended for your tablet controller as far as RTH (return to home) and other things are concerned.
To clarify -- GPS on the mobile device is only used for the Follow Me flight mode and when manually resetting the home point to the mobile device's current location (in a case where the pilot moves away from the original home point). Both of those functions are probably not used by the majority of pilots, so it's not a must-have for everyone.

One thing to keep in mind is that the cell versions have GPS built in, the wifi only versions do not. GPS is highly recommended for your tablet controller as far as RTH (return to home) and other things are concerned.

Ipad mini will (just barely) fit directly into the bottom of the RC where you hold the phone. Convenient.

This is what I've learned form reading. Hope it helps.
I have no issues with RTH using a wifi iPad, just that the map does not show. As in I will just see the flight path but no Google Maps underlay

I got an iPad mini 4, works great. FYI, there are several threads regarding this issue. Do a search. Read, Read, Read. you won't regret the move

I have no issues with RTH using a wifi iPad, just that the map does not show. As in I will just see the flight path but no Google Maps underlay

Well if you turn on maps cache and connect to Wi-Fi then go zoom the map in to the location you will be flying, you can have a map even when you're offline.

As in I will just see the flight path but no Google Maps underlay
You'll be able to see the maps if you cache them in DJI GO like this before you head out to fly.

Right, as long as home is your take-off point. It normally is, so not an issue for most. If you want to move it to a new spot though, you can't. Or use Follow-Me mode.

msinger said it perfectly in post #5 - you lose some functions, which you may or not care. Something to consider though.

Keep in mind if you also have an iPhone if you tether the iPad to the iPhone GPS is functionally "enabled" in the iPad.
Tethering will not allow the GPS data to be shared. You could share the Internet connection though.

I us the mini for most of my flying because of the screen. Could tether it to my phone if I need to update the maps etc, but because it is a WiFi only mini and I would want to do "follow me" I would use my iPhone. Don't make sense to us the iPad then. too bulky to carry while I am having the MP follow me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan