DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad vs Goggles...

iPad or Goggles?

• Total voters

charlieb98

Reactions
One that has been asked a lot, but here’s my situation: I could buy a 9.7 inch iPad Pro 32gb with cellular (therefore GPS) for £289 or the goggles for £349. Both would be used only to fly my Platinum. What would be the most versatile?

With a case, hood and holder for the remote the total cost of the iPad bundle will be the same as the goggles.

Goggles are cool but to me the biggest downside is it doesn't replicate all the information you have from the app, like RTH reserve. I would personally choose an iPad Mini 4 with GPS, which is more comfortable to hand-hold.

I mostly give the Goggles to someone else to "fly along."

Goggles are cool but to me the biggest downside is it doesn't replicate all the information you have from the app, like RTH reserve. I would personally choose an iPad Mini 4 with GPS, which is more comfortable to hand-hold.

I mostly give the Goggles to someone else to "fly along."
Thanks. The reason I won’t get an iPad Mini is because actually it’s more expensive, and for me having an iPad on the control isn’t a huge issue in terms of its size (especially compared to wearing the massive goggles on your face!)

Thanks. The reason I won’t get an iPad Mini is because actually it’s more expensive, and for me having an iPad on the control isn’t a huge issue in terms of its size (especially compared to wearing the massive goggles on your face!)

Makes sense. You'll probably want some kind of lanyard or something to help take off some of the weight. My iPad Air felt too unwieldy using this mount, and one-handed operations becomes a lot harder.

have both the pad and the re goggles .. get the iPad as your post implies your not a regular flyer.. I mean no harm in that.. learn to fly correctly as if your going into dji with goggles and thats it .. you better hope you paid for insurance or dji care. you will crash with goggles alone 100%

have both the pad and the re goggles .. get the iPad as your post implies your not a regular flyer.. I mean no harm in that.. learn to fly correctly as if your going into dji with goggles and thats it .. you better hope you paid for insurance or dji care. you will crash with goggles alone 100%
You’re right about that! It’s a new purchase for me, my first drone.

Reactions: Irish-apple
You’re right about that! It’s a new purchase for me, my first drone.
100000000% iPad forget the goggles pal get the iPad I use the 9.7 latest iPad brilliant fast effective system and no lag .. great for showing photos and video also to people if you like .. safe flying .. oh stay in beginner mode its not a child thing like your a baby or something its a safety thing trust me on this I actually still use beginner time to time nice relaxed flight

Goggles are definitely not a replacement for a tablet. They are fun to use, but not really practical for general every-day flying (and depending where you live, your country may have requirements that you keep the drone in sight by naked eye).

Reactions: Paulbee
100000000% iPad forget the goggles pal get the iPad I use the 9.7 latest iPad brilliant fast effective system and no lag .. great for showing photos and video also to people if you like .. safe flying .. oh stay in beginner mode its not a child thing like your a baby or something its a safety thing trust me on this I actually still use beginner time to time nice relaxed flight
What mount are you using with your iPad 9.7"?

Precisely what i did at the weekend. The missus was due a new phone so got her one with a shiney new free ipad 9.7". Purchased a cheapy tablet mount which i have to say actually did the job pretty well (link below). Bought a 3 sided sun hood thing as well (link also below) which was much needed due to the sunshine. Had a few people come up to me and ask a few general questions about what I was up to (they were curious not arsey) which was nice.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072BK4JQ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076X3L49S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0721MMMJS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Think I'll stick with this mount for a little while, i just wanted to see how it held up and what the weight was like (without using a lanyard) which didn't seem to bad. Will probably get a mavmount at some point as they look the real deal.

Reactions: Irish-apple
I voted iPad and now it's tied 50-50! Also, even though you say the iPad will only be for the Mavic, it's still nice to have it for other stuff.. just in case you need it.

I'm new to Mavic, but been flying RC planes for years. I went with an ipad pro 10.5 and the massive 512g for a few reasons, it's an amazing piece of equipment to utilize on many projects to include tuning diesel truck to other RC programing. Not to mention all the music, pictures and videos (my last tablet was a Dell venue and wanted an upgrade) I also went with the mavmount, hoodman, and lanyard mount so I could use the shoulder strap lanyard I use on my Jetti remote.

Thank you for all the responses. I’ve ordered a refurbished iPad Pro 9.7 inch 128gb with cellular for only £350! For the same price as the goggles the use I’ll get out of it will be 100 times more and will complement my Mac and iPhone nicely too. Thanks for all the help!

I’m trying out the goggles next week but I’ve already made my decision because I just feel they are very inconvenient to lug around, whereas the iPad slots easily into my backpack. As well as this surely there will be some smaller ones released in the future and I will get those instead. If I want FPV I can use Litchi and some cheap VR goggles from Amazon (although if someone bought me the goggles as a present I definitely wouldn’t be complaining!).

Reactions: jk6672
I don't have an iPad but have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 which works perfectly with Mavic and GO4 app. And I also have the DJI goggles.
You cannot compare this against each other. The tablet version is bulky, so I am using it only in very rare and special situations, where I have to operate GO4 via the touch screen, e.g. for waypoints or other special functions.
Compared to that flying with the goggles is much more fun, more intuitive and lets you take place within a virtual cockpit.
You should decide what you want, just a bigger screen and mostly flying with natural sight or the impression to be aboard of your drone.

Whichever you choose, you'll want the other. So, it may be a question of order of acquisition. In which case, for most, it's pad then goggles.

My preference is the goggles because the experience is like no other. However, at times, they can be impractical, but that's only because of other people. If you are flying without others being nearby, which may simply be time of day, or within your car/truck, then goggles are the way to go.

You will NEVER have difficulty seeing the screen with goggles; regardless of how sunny it is, and your ability to judge distance from objects is greatly improved. With goggles, you can confidently thread the needle, so to speak.

The battery in the goggles lasts for six hours without getting hot. I don't believe that's true for any other device, not even crystalsky. I have the crystalsky.

The goggles take some getting used to, but it's not rocket science, and you can get familiar and learn to use them without flying the drone, just take off the props, turn it on, and learn the goggles from within the comfort of your home. When you are ready, go fly. I ALWAYS take off and land without the goggles, but once it's all systems go...it's goggle time.

The goggles do display drone battery life remaining. You have to remember what percentage your low battery warning is at...20,25, 30 whatever. Besides, you have to use a phone, or tablet to fly with goggles these days. That was not always the case. So, if you are concerned about RTH battery life, lift the goggles, and look at the phone/tablet screen to check.

With the ipad, you will have difficulty seeing the screen. There are only two styles of sun hood that can help. One is the tube like Hoodman, and the other you have to make yourself, and that is a sunhood that has a back wall at less than 90 degrees. I don't know why this style is not commercially produced.

If you go with a large ipad, consider hooking it up to a tripod to alleviate the weight, and have it at eye level. I do that with my Crystalsky. People think I'm on a professional photo shoot.

When you fly using the goggles, the rest of the world just disappears. The immersive experience is remarkable, and cannot be imitated by phone/tablet, not even approximately.

If one day, you decide to get the goggles, don't bother with the other sets...Litchi app, fatshark, moverio, etc...I have had, or studied on the differences of each, and the DJI goggles win hands down.

The DJI goggles LOOK RIDICULOUS, but they are AWESOME!!!

BTW...I disagree with the statement that flying while using the goggles is a guaranteed crash. The risk is no more or less than with a phone/table as FPV. Regardless of the monitor, we have to be careful. We are dealing with a fragile expensive flying camera, which 'sounds' really weird.

Reactions: Clinton1
I fly with an iPad 9.7". It's mounted using a tablet holder and I also use a lanyard to support the weight.

The video display, is simply fantastic.

I would like to experience goggles at some point, however I'm in no rush. I like to watch the quad visually and use the display to frame shots.

I have both and rarely use goggles. Most times I feel that you really need a vo when using goggles.

I do have a sunshade for my iPad and find it invaluable when flying in bright sunlight, similiar to this image:

39A054AA-E72E-407A-970D-242793CE7D24.jpeg

Reactions: jk6672
BTW...I disagree with the statement that flying while using the goggles is a guaranteed crash. The risk is no more or less than with a phone/table as FPV.

I wouldn't say goggles are a "guaranteed crash", the situational awareness you lose with them makes them more risky than using a phone/tablet (IMO).

Whichever you choose, you'll want the other. So, it may be a question of order of acquisition. In which case, for most, it's pad then goggles.

My preference is the goggles because the experience is like no other. However, at times, they can be impractical, but that's only because of other people. If you are flying without others being nearby, which may simply be time of day, or within your car/truck, then goggles are the way to go.

You will NEVER have difficulty seeing the screen with goggles; regardless of how sunny it is, and your ability to judge distance from objects is greatly improved. With goggles, you can confidently thread the needle, so to speak.

The battery in the goggles lasts for six hours without getting hot. I don't believe that's true for any other device, not even crystalsky. I have the crystalsky.

The goggles take some getting used to, but it's not rocket science, and you can get familiar and learn to use them without flying the drone, just take off the props, turn it on, and learn the goggles from within the comfort of your home. When you are ready, go fly. I ALWAYS take off and land without the goggles, but once it's all systems go...it's goggle time.

The goggles do display drone battery life remaining. You have to remember what percentage your low battery warning is at...20,25, 30 whatever. Besides, you have to use a phone, or tablet to fly with goggles these days. That was not always the case. So, if you are concerned about RTH battery life, lift the goggles, and look at the phone/tablet screen to check.

With the ipad, you will have difficulty seeing the screen. There are only two styles of sun hood that can help. One is the tube like Hoodman, and the other you have to make yourself, and that is a sunhood that has a back wall at less than 90 degrees. I don't know why this style is not commercially produced.

If you go with a large ipad, consider hooking it up to a tripod to alleviate the weight, and have it at eye level. I do that with my Crystalsky. People think I'm on a professional photo shoot.

When you fly using the goggles, the rest of the world just disappears. The immersive experience is remarkable, and cannot be imitated by phone/tablet, not even approximately.

If one day, you decide to get the goggles, don't bother with the other sets...Litchi app, fatshark, moverio, etc...I have had, or studied on the differences of each, and the DJI goggles win hands down.

The DJI goggles LOOK RIDICULOUS, but they are AWESOME!!!

BTW...I disagree with the statement that flying while using the goggles is a guaranteed crash. The risk is no more or less than with a phone/table as FPV. Regardless of the monitor, we have to be careful. We are dealing with a fragile expensive flying camera, which 'sounds' really weird.

I would stick by that .. he is a brand new pilot he has enough on his plate to be thinking about without worrying distance etc .. yes the goggles are awesome but if I and I do believe anyone else put on goggles first go and took off its a count down to disaster .. learn to fly then use them .. thats my opinion anyhow

Precisely what i did at the weekend. The missus was due a new phone so got her one with a shiney new free ipad 9.7". Purchased a cheapy tablet mount which i have to say actually did the job pretty well (link below). Bought a 3 sided sun hood thing as well (link also below) which was much needed due to the sunshine. Had a few people come up to me and ask a few general questions about what I was up to (they were curious not arsey) which was nice.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072BK4JQ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076X3L49S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0721MMMJS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Think I'll stick with this mount for a little while, i just wanted to see how it held up and what the weight was like (without using a lanyard) which didn't seem to bad. Will probably get a mavmount at some point as they look the real deal.
I love my Mavmount! very good quality. No regrets .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000