DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IPhone Dimming? Anyone else

Jet skier

Reactions
While flying my drone yesterday in Minneapolis it was quite warm High 80s, the display on my iPhone kept going to very dim mode . Has anybody else had this problem? It is an iPhone X

This is common on all iPhones. The iPhone 3G was the first to have an internal protection to avoid overheating and would actually turn off. Not sure which model switched to dimming the screen as a result of getting too hot but it’s nothing to worry too much about. Your actual phone camera will often not work during the period the screen dims also.

It’s pretty annoying when your drone is 3 miles away in the city the thing that saved my drone was automatic return the home . I really couldn’t see any of the telemetry

Reactions: Thomas B
Thanks for that info though I did not know that was common

Not wrong iphone starts to dim only abt 103F.

For myself, when i just started flying most of the time when screen starts to dim, i need to open up phone setting abd bring up to max brightness.
Then i realized somethg i was doing wrong all the time,
If not wrong Iphone brightness sensor is located near the earpiece, everytime when i mount my phone to controller, im always covering the sensor, as such phone deem its dark, it auto brings the brightness of screen down.
For now i always mount the controller handle at a certain angle, to not block the sensor of the phone.
So far so good for me..
then again, a phone is still a phone, cant compare screen to crystal sky.

Edited: of coz that is if your phone brightness is set to ‘auto’

If not u can manually set it to full brightness when u fly, however it drains batt fast

Good luck

Reactions: Thomas B
Auto-brightness is different. This is default to keep the phone from overheating and catching fire like the Note 7 did. There is an ambient light sensor near the ear speaker that will turn the display off when you have it close to your ear. Thankfully, your remote will not charge the iPhone because it is bad to charge your phone when the phone itself enters this “cool down” mode.

Quick search does show the iPhone X will dim at a temperature of 103° as @Air_Joe said, also has a second dimming level at temperature of 113° where the screen will barely be visible.

Reactions: Air_Joe
Auto-brightness is different. This is default to keep the phone from overheating and catching fire like the Note 7 did. There is an ambient light sensor near the ear speaker that will turn the display off when you have it close to your ear. Thankfully, your remote will not charge the iPhone because it is bad to charge your phone when the phone itself enters this “cool down” mode.

Yeah I usually set it to charge the phone

Interesting that’s exactly what I am Getting a barely visible screen

I’ve never been so grateful for the automatic RTH

Just use a sunshade, helps a lot both seeing the screen and avoiding the sun heating up the phone...

It’s pretty annoying when your drone is 3 miles away in the city the thing that saved my drone was automatic return the home . I really couldn’t see any of the telemetry
Question comes to mind. Are you in VLOS at this range.... with no useable imaging from the drone?

Question comes to mind. Are you in VLOS at this range.... with no useable imaging from the drone?
It was in visual line of sight but I could not see it

• Haha
Reactions: AMann
Just use a sunshade, helps a lot both seeing the screen and avoiding the sun heating up the phone...
I was standing in the shade

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM