DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPhone/iPad visibility using Photochromic Lens Glasses

DesertWindAero

Reactions
I use glasses that have photochromic lenses that get darker when outdoors.

I've noticed that my iPhone/iPad doesn't seem bright enough when wearing these glasses outdoors even though the brightness is turned all the way up. The image and controls are extremely hard to see - even if there is no direct sunlight (e.g., cloudy conditions).

Has anyone else noticed this? If so, did you do something to solve it?

Thanks!

Yes and that is why I now have some ordinary glasses as well now:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: WEOTN
I have also added a sun screen for both iPhone 6+ and iPad mini now. Polaroid lenses mess with their screens even more it seems, so I wear my regular glasses and shade the screen. Wish goggles weren't verboten in the usa.

Reactions: mikeroycollins
I have also added a sun screen for both iPhone 6+ and iPad mini now. Polaroid lenses mess with their screens even more it seems, so I wear my regular glasses and shade the screen. Wish goggles weren't verboten in the usa.
If you want to wear goggles, civil disobedience is an American tradition to dumb laws. Just be safe while you're doing it.

If you also are obeying the visual LOS rule, "with only normal corrective lens as an aid" (note that this NOT very far in daylight with the little Mavic) with goggles you won't be able to glacé back and forth between the drone and screen. So if you crash you won't have seen first hand where.

I still haven't figured out whether the visual LOS thing is a law or advisory, for non-commercial use. It seems like the FAA wants you to play with it at back yard type distances. I like to film epic journeys going mile out to sea, and back down the beaches. The backyard seems a shame with a 4 mile range.

I just know from drone racing quad experience that a crash with goggles, just in a big field with long grass can make finding it problematic. I found my Mavic 1/2 mile away the other day since it was alive and putting out a GPS position. I got near, and there it was on the map. A lady and her son had seen it hovering over some woods in there back yard. Not knowing exactly what they were seeing. The lady said, See, I told you it was a drone, and the kid ran into the woods and found it on the ground. Undamaged.

Reactions: Mavman
I use glasses that have photochromic lenses that get darker when outdoors.

I've noticed that my iPhone/iPad doesn't seem bright enough when wearing these glasses outdoors even though the brightness is turned all the way up. The image and controls are extremely hard to see - even if there is no direct sunlight (e.g., cloudy conditions).

Has anyone else noticed this? If so, did you do something to solve it?

Thanks!
It's hard enough to see the screen without sunglasses, let alone with them. My advice is to always fly from the shade.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22