DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is Anyone getting, or got, the new WAL that just arrived? Review?

I bought one. It's a great asset to have in your kit, but it does have it's limitations.

My review:

Reactions: Mantrain
Well right now I am feeling like I will pass on this accessory because without a niche type of use for it I do not see the purpose I am appreciative of the videos provided. The WA lens to me looks just like the camera was pulled back a bit, as an analogy it is like an object at 100 ' away without the lens looks like 125' away with the lens. Like you are pulling back and making the center farther and the sides coming in to view.

I know people complain about price but that is not the issue. Things are just getting expensive. It is more like, will I use this?

Maybe more users can chime in though. When are you apt to use your WA lens? the Mavic 3 is already 4/3's but I do not want my cetner objects to appear further out.

Maybe I am missing something though about this.

The Wide-Angle lens adaptor is a niche product, and has its limitations. The biggest issue is the strong distortion (fisheye effect) add to the image. But, when used under the right circumstances, it can create some powerful and unique-looking images.

DJI_0251-HDR-Pano.jpg

DJI_0393-HDR.jpg

Last edited:
The Wide-Angle lens adaptor is a niche product, and has its limitations. The biggest issue is the strong distortion (fisheye effect) add to the image. But, when used under the right circumstances, it can create some powerful and unique-looking image.

View attachment 143277

View attachment 143278

Wow a compelling sample of images that would tend to steer me towards the purchase. I do enjoy broad city-scape or even some territorial shots. I presume the distortion you are referring to has to do with the shape of the lens and some coma type aberration, for Afterall if the lens has a curve to it, it must bend the light waves accordingly but I do not think it is a huge problem.

Wow a compelling sample of images that would tend to steer me towards the purchase. I do enjoy broad city-scape or even some territorial shots. I presume the distortion you are referring to has to do with the shape of the lens and some coma type aberration, for Afterall if the lens has a curve to it, it must bend the light waves accordingly but I do not think it is a huge problem.

Some people like the fisheye effect (distortion), some don't. It is a matter of personal taste. The key is knowing where and how to use it, and find the right balance.

The distortion is an issue for sure. But at least it is fixable in post for the stills. And somewhat for the video, depending on how you're using your gimba;.

Here is another test I did in my review. One shows pre-removal, one shows fixed. Just the barrel distortion was removed.

Attachments

• M3WAL1.jpg
    M3WAL1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
  • M3WAL1a.jpg
    M3WAL1a.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
Reactions: GtoJon
The WAL is a great tool. The biggest issue is the lack of NDs. So I'm experimenting with some custom filters. Both in front of and behind the lens. The concave front element and convex rear element make it a little challenging but I've had some decent results so far. The filters are basically critical for any kind of serious work during the day.

ND_B.png

ND_A.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead