DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is bad that I’m little mad?

Snapthis

Reactions
Basically the other day I saw a man flying what I think was a Mavic air or Mavic pro. Not following the simple rules and regulations.

I only knew he was flying a drone due to me tuning into the controllers noise for return to home. The man hadn’t a clue where his drone was, I couldn’t see it.

There is a difference between not having a clue where it is and losing track of it. Although I have a clue where it is and try to stay within VLOS, I occasionally have to play "Where's my Mavic" and bring it back until I can see it again.

If losing track of it was the only rule he broke, cut him some slack. If he was completely reckless, getting mad will not change anything.

There is a difference between not having a clue where it is and losing track of it. Although I have a clue where it is and try to stay within VLOS, I occasionally have to play "Where's my Mavic" and bring it back until I can see it again.

If losing track of it was the only rule he broke, cut him some slack. If he was completely reckless, getting mad will not change anything.

Haha I see your point. I just wanted to ask the community as I felt like I need another opinion.

Cheers

If I had to fly LOS, I would not have purchased it. However, I'm not a proponent of reckless flying to endanger people. I don't fly over people, hover in windows, fly "low" over peoples houses, etc. "to me" there is a difference between responsible flying and irresponsible flying. Even legal flying can be irresponsible.

I guess you would be a lot mad at me.
I've been flying the MP since it was first released and it's only within my VLOS about 25% of the time. I've never lost track of it.
(Except once when my wife hid it ; she was mad at me.)

I also drive about 5 mph over the posted speed limit on the freeway most of the time.

Where I love to fly there are over 3 miles of river, open fields and trees. No humans or animals around. I usually go beyond of VLOS, because that's why I have a mavic pro. If I want to fly within VLOS, I would have kept the phantom 3 standard.

I guess you would be a lot mad at me.
I've been flying the MP since it was first released and it's only within my VLOS about 25% of the time. I've never lost track of it.
(Except once when my wife hid it ; she was mad at me.)

I also drive about 5 mph over the posted speed limit on the freeway most of the time.
and i hang in the passing lane at 2 miles above speed limit:p

and i hang in the passing lane at 2 miles above speed limit:p

You monster! ;)

But seriously, I feel like VLOS is a weird thing. One, it's a different distance for different people depending on the size of the drone they have and how good their eyesight is. Two, you can have the drone at a distance where you can see it, but then look down at your screen and back up and it's lost. And you can't realistically keep your eyes on the drone the entire time. Sometimes you need to look at the screen. As a rule (guideline, regulation, whatever), VLOS just seems like jaywalking or going a couple miles over the limit. People ignore it because it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I would imagine most drone pilots don't follow it all the time, but still fly safely. Whenever I fly for distance, it's always over water, forest, farmland, etc. Now I know some people are going to disagree with me, but I'll echo what I heard someone else here say once. Legal isn't always safe and safe isn't always legal.

Well, that's just my two cents on VLOS.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU