DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is blurring water/waves possible with the Air 2S?

dronerat

Reactions
Hey pilots--One type of photo I wanted to take with a drone was a long exposure where you blur moving water/waves. Is this possible with an Air 2S? If so what's the best way to do it?

I know you can't step down the aperture, but can it be done with a filter? Or is it best to take a burst of photos or a video and somehow composite/stack the frames in post-processing? (kind of like how an iphone can composite a "live photo" to get the blur effect?)

You will get best results with ND-filters. Buy a set of filters with different density and learn by trying.
It is possible to stack a burst of photos, but in my experience a long single exposure gives a more natural result.

Hey pilots--One type of photo I wanted to take with a drone was a long exposure where you blur moving water/waves. Is this possible with an Air 2S? If so what's the best way to do it?
It's possible with any camera with an adjustable shutter speed.
You would need ND filters to reduce light levels to get correct exposure for a long exposure.

The attractive silky wave effects are done with a big camera on a tripod with exposures that could range from 30 seconds to many minutes.
You can't achieve the same thing with a drone.
What is the longest shutter speed you can get with the Air 2S?
I can't find any mention in the specs.

Most of the 2 second exposure drone shots of blurred waves just look like blurred movement and lack the misty visual appeal of longer tripod shots.

You would need ND filters to reduce light levels to get correct exposure for a long exposure.

The attractive silky wave effects are done with a big camera on a tripod with exposures that could range from 30 seconds to many minutes.

Most of the 2 second exposure drone shots of blurred waves just look like blurred movement and lack the misty visual appeal of longer tripod shots.
You often don't need to go as long as (even) 30 seconds for a blurred look. It all depends on what you want to achieve. With waterfalls you can get a cotton water look with times as short as a second, sometimes even less.

But yes, ND filters are the only way, short of shooting at dusk, to get the longer exposure times with a 2S.

Reactions: Kentucky Ranger

Eh...the blur effect depends on the speed and volume of water. You can get good blur with less than a 1s exposure. For a fast-flowing waterfall, you could get blurred-water photos handheld if you have a camera or lens with good image stabilization. I took this photo this weekend and it was something like a 1/4s exposure. I had forgotten my tripod, so this is with my camera resting on my camera bag on the railing of a deck with tons of people walking on it. I would bet an Air2s is stable enough to replicate that in really calm conditions, but any exposure over 1-2 seconds probably not.

falls.jpg

The beauty of photography is often achieved by experimenting. If you can’t achieve what you want with one exposure with ND filters, perhaps 50 to 100 could achieve the same effect. The drone can be a pretty stable tripod, but try for near zero wind. ”Film” is pretty cheap nowadays, unlike when I started out a half century ago. See what you can create….

Eh...the blur effect depends on the speed and volume of water. You can get good blur with less than a 1s exposure. For a fast-flowing waterfall, you could get blurred-water photos handheld if you have a camera or lens with good image stabilization. I took this photo this weekend and it was something like a 1/4s exposure. I had forgotten my tripod, so this is with my camera resting on my camera bag on the railing of a deck with tons of people walking on it. I would bet an Air2s is stable enough to replicate that in really calm conditions, but any exposure over 1-2 seconds probably not.

View attachment 155979
Blackwater Falls… one of my favorite places!

For beach/rock waves, a simple rule of thumb I keep in mind that a 10-stop ND filter (an ND1000) would darken a 1/100s scene down to a 10s exposure.

Reactions: Zeke
This was an 8 second exposure (the max for my X-Star) back in 2018. It's pretty steady for that long of an exposure. You can see the taillight streaks of cars on the left side. So drones CAN do longer exposures. Sometimes you have to get lucky (like I did).

Attachments

• Arnold_Night_2_11_15_18.jpg
    Arnold_Night_2_11_15_18.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 39
You will get best results with ND-filters. Buy a set of filters with different density and learn by trying.
It is possible to stack a burst of photos, but in my experience a long single exposure gives a more natural result.
I am quite familiar with long exposure neutral density filters which I use for many hears on a DSLR and a Lee Filter system with a 10 Stop ND filter (called the "Big Stopper). These exposures are usually 15 seconds with the shutter open!. The drones normal fluctuating movements in the air, even at stand still are not as stable as if the same image were taken on a tripod. I would go the longest shutter you can get with the densest ND filter you can get. Here are two examples.

Dale
Miami

Attachments

• 7-10-2020-Gallatin-320Ranch-south-view.jpg
    865.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 7-19-2020-GallatinRiver-slow-waters.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Reactions: GrimtheViking
Try anything from 1/2 sec to your slowest shutter speed.Try multiple shots of same scene.Some will be much better at the same shutter speed than others.Good luck!

I am quite familiar with long exposure neutral density filters which I use for many hears on a DSLR and a Lee Filter system with a 10 Stop ND filter (called the "Big Stopper). These exposures are usually 15 seconds with the shutter open!. The drones normal fluctuating movements in the air, even at stand still are not as stable as if the same image were taken on a tripod. I would go the longest shutter you can get with the densest ND filter you can get. Here are two examples.

Dale
Miami
I wonder if this is true? DJI's gimbals work miracles for stabilization. I also know from my gopro that electronic stabilization can work miracles too - don't know if dji uses it too?

At any rate, someone just needs to try. No need to compare, since still camera tripod long exposure photography is a completely different genre from drone photography.
I don't have any ocean shore or waterfalls near me, or I'd give it a try...

I know you can't step down the aperture, but can it be done with a filter? Or is it best to take a burst of photos or a video and somehow composite/stack the frames in post-processing? (kind of like how an iphone can composite a "live photo" to get the blur effect?)
Here's a few examples of slow shutter.Mavic 2 Pro.1st-5 secs 2nd-4 secs 3rd 3.2 seconds.after regular processing in Lightroom ran them through Photoshop "sharpen for camera shake".Took multiple shots of each composition+picked best one.

1 (1).jpeg1.jpeg2.jpeg

This is the amount of blur you can expect with a 1/4 sec shutter speed.
Most drones should be able to do this. This is not a drone shot.

1666286675377.png
Rearguard Falls, Fraser River

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zack400