DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is everyone upgrading to the Platinum props?

I certainly will be trying these new props, any reduction in noise would be most welcome. Coming from also flying a Yuneec Q500 I was shocked at how noisy the Mavic is.

If you listen carefully to the two Mavics in that show video, the Platinum is quieter, yes there is still wind noise from the new props but the biggest chance is the almost total absence of that electromechanical noise typical of brushless motors.

That I believe is the result of change to using a sign wave to drive the winding rather than a square wave, Square wave being rich in multiple harmonics that are then radiated by both the props and the motor mounts and arms etc.

What is more interesting is how they made the change to Sign Wave output. Your typical ESC consists a micro controller with 3 outputs switching On/Off in sequence driving FETs which in turn connect to the windings.

To produce a Sign Wave drive would typically require each output to be a DAC (digital to analog converter) to produce say an 8bit approximation of a Sign Wave. The big question does the existing ESC have such DAC outputs already though not used? If so it could potentially be software upgraded though I have no idea if the ESCs have circuitry to allow remote firmware update from the main CPU or not.

So is everyone going Mavic Pro with Platinum props?
noy yet still on my original blades, luv my mavic very killer footage even in 1080p,just wondering when I get my 4k Mac will the 4k look as good as the 1080?

...I read that the 60% noise reduction comes mainly during launch/landing - still attractive though for remaining as invisible as possible to avoid the dreaded civilian drone police!

I'll buy props, but will wait on the real improvement to the Mavic Pro. On my second one and quite satisfied, but not really
thrilled.

So, has anyone actually tried them and sure they're interchangeable??

I'm keen to reduce noise and sounds like the deduced drag may increase battery life.
I fly in forests a lot filming dirtbikes and rally cars, I've put a few sets of props on so far.

I preordered a set just to check them out .
Where were you able to pre-order? Every place I have checked won't let you order, but of course DJI offers stock notification when available. (We will see how that works)

Probably after I see some reviews on here.

Only After i've seen the results in a dBa meter test. Old vs new. :D

If you wonder what -4db sound reduction sounds like... well it's not a lot...
Check this out:

To me that's a big difference in the vid !
I'd like to try them just to reduce the chance of disturbing people anywhere.
When flying remote I might 'use up' the originals as I got the Fly More and still on first set with no prangs, must have a few sets spare.

I'm going for it. Those props look like a good idea. Looks like the props are designed to minimize the turbulance on the tips, same as winglets on a wing. Less noise equals less wasted energy, can't but help the performance.

Is the prop pitch not increased slightly ?
I though this would be the logical way to get lower revs, leading to less noise and longer battery life, more speed too.
Looked at DJI site and couldn't find anything on this.

The only thing is like putting a larger diameter set of wheel / tyres on a motor vehicle, it gets better fuel econ on trips running long distances at highway speeds, but less fuel econ in stop / start traffic.
Could a higher (coarser) prop pitch (if applicable in the mavic platinum blades) put more strain on a motor when under load ?
Ie, taking off, accelerating, flying into wind.

Might be a case if too much of this, throwing it around a bit in the air, pushing things in sports mode etc, and you might overheat motors ?
This could lead to damaging or burning them out.

Reactions: Former Member
Actually, the biggest difference I hear in this video is the high pitch whine of the motors on the old Mavic vs the quieter ones on the new. I'm now rethinking this and wondering if DJI is right and that we won't get much benefit from the new props.

LP
Actually you're right! There's a distinctive difference between both of the motors.
I can also definitely hear a difference in the prop sound too. I'll have mine soon so I'll let you know an honest opinion on them

Reactions: LeafPeeper
Actually you're right! There's a distinctive difference between both of the motors.
I can also definitely hear a difference in the prop sound too. I'll have mine soon so I'll let you know an honest opinion on them

Compare your revs between the 2 sets just hovering with no wind, see if there is a difference ?

Reactions: mavic6611
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J