DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is Gimbal Cover Neccessary?

Revelationau

Reactions
Got my Air today, however in the excitement of opening it at work I think I've misplaced the gimbal cover already (doh!). If it sits in it's protective pouch all the time and I'm generally careful, is the gimbal cover really required?

You can buy them as spares, gimbals are very delicate and it helps to keep the dust out and keep lens clean.

I do not have the Air, but I think the cover is also the gimbal clamp, which is very useful when travelling as it stops the camera bouncing around, so yes I think you need it.

Is it required? No. I am not sure, but perhaps the only purpose of the cover is to keep the lense from getting scratched or dirty. When i first got my Air, i kept forgetting to take it off, and kept on getting the overload error so I decided to just keep the cover off. However, I chose to start using it again simply because you never know if you're ever going to bump it so having that little extra protection may be there when you might need it. I also think (but I am not an engineer so this is simply my personal guess) that maybe the cover keeps the gimbal motors from rattling around when it's not being used, which may protect the motors..but again, that's just a guess.

Reactions: tiparoch
The gimbal is the most fragile part of the Mavic Air. While one might be able to get away with not using the lock, it would be safest to use it to protect the camera and keep the gimbal from bouncing around when it's powered down.

Replacement Mavic Air gimbal locks are available here on Amazon or directly from DJI here.
Lock.jpg

Last edited:
Is it required? No. I am not sure, but perhaps the only purpose of the cover is to keep the lense from getting scratched or dirty. When i first got my Air, i kept forgetting to take it off, and kept on getting the overload error so I decided to just keep the cover off. However, I chose to start using it again simply because you never know if you're ever going to bump it so having that little extra protection may be there when you might need it. I also think (but I am not an engineer so this is simply my personal guess) that maybe the cover keeps the gimbal motors from rattling around when it's not being used, which may protect the motors..but again, that's just a guess.

Same for me, l kept forgetting to take off the cover for my Mavic Pro. I finally taped a 5 cm. long red ribbon on the cover (left over from Christmas), sort of a remove before flight thing. It works. Also , good to keep the guard on when not flying.

Got my Air today, however in the excitement of opening it at work I think I've misplaced the gimbal cover already (doh!). If it sits in it's protective pouch all the time and I'm generally careful, is the gimbal cover really required?

You really should get another. As others have said, it is a very delicate and important part of the machine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zack400