DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it illegal to fly over main roads

Just fly that little bad boy. I don’t think 249 g is going to kill a car
Seriously J2ps? You think that if someone is traveling at 60 mph in a 3500 pound car down a highway, say passing an 80,000 pound 18-wheeler, and something suddenly crashes into either of their windshields, it is not possible that something bad can happen? Seriously?

It is not the 249 gram quad that will cause the damage, just the massive vehicles traveling fast that may veer off the road, into oncoming traffic, or over a side bank, that could have serious consequences.

There are reasons that traveling over moving vehicles on roadways over roadways is illegal. To suggest that we can simply ignore the law is irresponsible and does not help the hobby at all.

In the USA it is legal to fly over roads but it's illegal to fly over moving vehicles, and just in case the drone falls out of the sky, it probably isn't a good idea to fly over a stationary vehicle if the owner isn't part of your operation.

The FAA considers "over" to mean literally directly over any part of a vehicle or person, which I am sure is difficult to ascertain for anyone on the ground unless they are looking straight down through the drone's camera. Remember this if anyone accuses you of flying over them since they would have a difficult time proving it, especially if you say that you were able to look straight down with the drone's camera and you could clearly see that you were not flying directly over them. Don't abuse this since it will just cause problems for the community.

However, having said the above, the FAA also requires that you avoid flying "recklessly," which can be subjective. So if you are flying parallel to a road with moving or stationary vehicles, or near a person that isn't part of your operation (like on a closed set), and the drone loses power or control, veers off 100-ft and crashes into a nearby vehicle or person, you would be at fault and may be accused of flying recklessly by anyone that you injure or whose property you damage. You would have a hard time disputing this accusation. This could get messy if you caused a multi-car pileup or cut up some kid's face whose parent is or knows an attorney.

There was no harm done I'm only new and when you started out dont say you didn't fly like me cause everyone that starts want to get it into the air so everyone makes mistakes I've learned mine and I'm not the cause off new laws I did it once not realizing the dangers
Take it easy guys your new, you’ve learned by your mistake! Please move on and stop bullying!!

Reactions: Fran duncan
Go for it mate. Richard Branson fly's jumbo jets over the M25 everytime a virgin flight takes off from Heathrow airport. FFS the mini is lighter than most sparrows. You'll always offend someone with your drone unfortunately that also means fellow droners. Not me though.

Go for it mate. Richard Branson fly's jumbo jets over the M25 everytime a virgin flight takes off from Heathrow airport. FFS the mini is lighter than most sparrows. You'll always offend someone with your drone unfortunately that also means fellow droners. Not me though.
Cheers pal I love the way you explained it brilliant follow me on youtube pal look up fran duncan and subscribe and ile subscribe back to you

Reactions: Arnu69
I second, third (or whatever) other comments here. I would also add that the MM is note safety certified to fly over people - i.e. who are not in their cars - and you did that more than once.

You flew over what appears to be an N single-digit series road. On your second flight, do you think that was reasonable?

Three questions:
1. Did you have the landowner’s permission for take off and landing? (It’s not clear where the take off is from)
2. Did you fly more than 300m away from you?
3. Did you fly within 30m (at any altitude) of a person *or vehicle* not under your direct control?

Check the iaa.ie website for the rules.

I think “reckless” is probably the word for describing this flight, particularly at your age and level of experience. It seems that there wasn’t even a degree of common sense applied here.
And what are you mister prim and proper I made a mistake I've learned from it I didn't know the rules I do now so no need to be all harsh about it. Dont say ya never made a mistake in your lifetime.i admit it was wrong so leave it at that

BTW Insurance. I don't mean the House and Contents Insurance that covers you if the droneis damaged but Public Liability if you cause damage to something/some one else.
Mine covers me for £5milion. what's yours?
The person you hit (or their property you damage ) doesn't care if you are commercial or recreational they WILL claim off you.
IF you cause a car to swerve and crash it is not just the small dent to the car, and or the whiplash etc it is all the other expenses like not working for a week, hiring a car to cover. etc
Their insurance company WILL go after you to recover their costs.
Well lucky enough it didn't come to that so now I keep to parks mistake i made

Why is there even a debate about this? If you don't know the FAA rules then go to the site and read them - then when flying your drone, obey those rules - all of them. I only recently joined this forum but am already tired of reading the many (way too many) dumb and nonsensical arguments that involve comparing motor vehicles or jumbo jets with drones and other such utter garbage.

It's CASA authority in Australia who provides rules, regulations and maps (e.g. OK2Fly.com.au) for safe flights with drones.
In Japan there is no restriction, at least couple of months ago when I checked planning to visit that country.

In Japan there is no restriction, at least couple of months ago when I checked planning to visit that country.

If you have a 199g mini or other sub 200g drones (yes, Japan has its own lower weight mini 199g, lesser battery weight / capacity), then you are fairly free to fly there following their drone rules.

If you have a regular mini or larger drone, check again, they have some of the strictest drone rules going for getting permissions.
A couple of members here living there have commented often on this.

Here's a good basic overview . . . refer section 3.

Hey Aldi, child care, pubs & a big shed what else can one want ?

One thing I found interesting was the the people walking into Aldi didn't look to see what the egg beater sound was.

Why is there even a debate about this? If you don't know the FAA rules then go to the site and read them - then when flying your drone, obey those rules - all of them. I only recently joined this forum but am already tired of reading the many (way too many) dumb and nonsensical arguments that involve comparing motor vehicles or jumbo jets with drones and other such utter garbage.

To be fair, I don't think he is going to give a monkey's about the FAA rules, since they are not global rules.

I'm sure the OP is now reading up on this site Drones

It is all about relative velocity. A piece of foam weighing just 750g caused enough damage to the Space Shuttle Columbia to cause its destruction. A car moving at highway speeds meeting a 249g drone moving in the opposite direction could have devastating consequences.
Agreed, what a ridiculous comment that “249g would not kill a car!”
Of course not, cars don’t get killed but driver in the car at eg 70mph will be killed when the windscreen hits a 1/4 of a kg head on, the rest of the occupants and perhaps those in other cars probably too in the resulting aftermath!!!!

OP, always be aware of “what’s the worst that could happen if the drone cuts out and drops to the ground”,

DONT fly/hover over roads other than a quick fly across.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer