DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it possible to set up a battery limit on the Mavic Mini?

Ricardo28

Reactions
Is it possible to set up a battery limit on the Mavic Mini? For example Fly 80% and keep 20% battery levels as a safety net land the aircraft?

I hope not.

It is a trivial task to monitor levels in flight. With experience you can do a better job than the software might in determining power required to get home with a healthy reserve margin.

Why it might be considered a preferable option for the drone to auto land rather than give the operator the option to fly home or choose a most preferable location for landing is hard to imagine.

I hope not.

It is a trivial task to monitor levels in flight. With experience you can do a better job than the software might in determining power required to get home with a healthy reserve margin.

Why it might be considered a preferable option for the drone to auto land rather than give the operator the option to fly home or choose a most preferable location for landing is hard to imagine.

Thank you very much for your comments and advice. I'm new to drone flying, so still learning the ropes. Thank you for your input.

Thank you very much for your comments and advice. I'm new to drone flying, so still learning the ropes. Thank you for your input.
@Ricardo28 ... one thing to keep in mind is that for most DJI drones the decline in charge of the batteries accelerated as it is used... that is to say, if all other factors are equal the battery will discharge more and more rapidly as flight continues. Lower charge = shorter distance and time. So keep a good eye on your new drone until you are familiar... but never stop watching the charge.

Reactions: Ricardo28
@Ricardo28 ... one thing to keep in mind is that for most DJI drones the decline in charge of the batteries accelerated as it is used... that is to say, if all other factors are equal the battery will discharge more and more rapidly as flight continues. Lower charge = shorter distance and time. So keep a good eye on your new drone until you are familiar... but never stop watching the charge.
This is the often proclaimed observation- do we have any actual data? Simple pure coulomb counting methods are well known to exhibit this behaviour however it hasn’t seemed to be the case for the various DJI drones I have experience with and it certainly shouldn’t be an issue looking at the various white papers and other technical explanations offered by TI (the battery SOC suppliers to DJI). They claim within 1% accuracy for impedance track fuel gauging over the life of the battery. My experience has been that the remaining charge and time to empty figures reported are surprisingly accurate.

Could this simply be an illusion based on the fact most of us don’t fly the packs below a certain point? If, for argument sake, we were to get 20 minutes flight landing at 20% remaining it would seem that we only used 40% for the first half of the total flight time.

As an average on the M2’s my usage is roughly 10% battery depletion/3 minutes of flight, it is very consistent down to 30% remaining with no significant acceleration in usage.

Reactions: Ricardo28
Well I don’t have a Mavic mini so I can’t directly answer your question.
But all my other DJI drones have a battery limit which I can’t understand why you would not want to use that feature.
For one thing it’s easy to be distracted doing other things like Flying your drone.
I set my limit to 30% and usually land before 25%.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy