DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it possible to tell what firmware version the Air 2S has before buying it?

zipel

Reactions
Hello,
I am interested to buy a DJI Air 2S although I would like to know if there is a way to make sure that the drone will not have a non-downgradable firmware version pre-installed.

Does anyone know if it is possible to check the serial number on the box and maybe be sure that it has an older version?

If it's new, it might have the newer firmware already installed. The serial number should give you the manufacture date and if it's older, it should have older firmware although I'm not sure when they came out with the firmware that doesn't allow you to downgrade. If it's manufactured before that date, then you should be ok.

Almost sure it doesn't have it because the new Firmware is just 10 days old.
All Air 2S firmwares until 02.04.2130 are downgradable via DH Windows app. I asked them about firmware 02.04.2150 but have not received answer yet.

Edit: Good news. Received response from DH, firmware 02.04.2150 is downgradable too.

Last edited:
Thank you for your answers!
Good news. Received response from DH, firmware 02.04.2150 is downgradable too.
These are really good news :)

The serial number should give you the manufacture date and if it's older, it should have older firmware
Is there a way to determine the production date directly by looking at the number? I mean are some digits in the serial number directly translatable to a date?

Basically, my plan is to walk into Walmart or Bestbuy and try to look at some boxes on the shelves to find a somewhat older model so that I can avoid trying to downgrade if necessary

Google DJI serial number decoder and it will take you to the webpage where you can input the serial number that gives the date of manufacture.

Reactions: zipel
Thank you for your answers!

These are really good news :)

Is there a way to determine the production date directly by looking at the number? I mean are some digits in the serial number directly translatable to a date?

Basically, my plan is to walk into Walmart or Bestbuy and try to look at some boxes on the shelves to find a somewhat older model so that I can avoid trying to downgrade if necessary
On the drone box it should give you the manufactured date

Edit: Good news. Received response from DH, firmware 02.04.2150 is downgradable too.
When I asked the same question of DH this is what they sent me. To me they are saying they are not sure but it should. Sounds like they need someone to test it. Let us know if it works for you. :)
And if you go to the Bird Map page it does not show a downgradable symbol for the latest firmware.

"Hello,
so the latest firmware should work to downgrade. It is the same antirollback value as the firmware before.
But in general we warn not to upgrade the firmware.
Best regards"

When I asked the same question of DH this is what they sent me. To me they are saying they are not sure but it should. Sounds like they need someone to test it. Let us know if it works for you. :)
And if you go to the Bird Map page it does not show a downgradable symbol for the latest firmware.

"Hello,
so the latest firmware should work to downgrade. It is the same antirollback value as the firmware before.
But in general we warn not to upgrade the firmware.
Best regards"
Really don't need it, I'm firm at 02.04.2040 and don't have any plan to upgrade. This is what I got from them
Hello,

"the latest firmware can be downgraded in two steps as well. Just follow the guidance in our software to downgrade to the recommended firmware and then you can apply the hacks.

Best regards"

Ya the main guy was on vacation and just came back and told me that it should but could not confirm it for sure. Maybe he has tested it and things have changed. Only reason I was considering going to the latest firmware is the glitch in Litchi (Air 2S Gimbal) is fixed with a firmware upgrade and the new Litchi App.

This was the first email I got from them, a couple days later I got the other one.

I am not 100% sure if it will work to downgrade with the two stage process. I would need to talk to my colleague and the problem is he is on holiday. But you could just test it. If it works everything is fine, if not I would refund the money of course.

Or you would need to wait for the answer :)

Best regards

Last edited:
I was tempted to upgrade just to see if Litchi glitch was solved with new Firmware but at the end, I didn't take the chance. I can use my Mini 2 for Litchi missions (without upgrading too)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998