DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it possible to use an Ipad or mini-Ipad with the Mavic mini?

zpzimm

Reactions
I'm currently using an iphone 7 for my screen, but the actual screen is quite small. Is it possible to get the controller to work with a larger screen, since my vision isn't as good as it used to be....lol. Something that would be reasonable off of Amazon?

Thanks for any help.....

Reactions: old man mavic
i have the 9.7 i pad and it works great, the only issue at the moment, is that the app has not been optimised for i pads yet ,so you dont get a full screen, if you set the display to 16.9 ,and use the x2 arrow in the bottom right of the screen, then you end up with a screen about the size of an 8 inch tablet, but the picture is perfectly clear ,and everything works ,i use the same i pad for my MPP

Reactions: Mrveronn
Reactions: AlgebraMan
i have the 9.7 i pad and it works great, the only issue at the moment, is that the app has not been optimised for i pads yet ,so you dont get a full screen, if you set the display to 16.9 ,and use the x2 arrow in the bottom right of the screen, then you end up with a screen about the size of an 8 inch tablet, but the picture is perfectly clear ,and everything works ,i use the same i pad for my MPP
I have an iPad Mini 4, and the app display is cut off on the left/right sides (which means I can't access controls like the back arrow after changing settings). Any idea how to fix this problem?

Not sure I am following what you mean. I have a Mini 4 and when I go into the settings the settings screen/box opens but is orientated to the right of the Mini's screen leaving a strip of the camera view down the left side. I just touch it and the settings screen disappears.

Not sure I am following what you mean. I have a Mini 4 and when I go into the settings the settings screen/box opens but is orientated to the right of the Mini's screen leaving a strip of the camera view down the left side. I just touch it and the settings screen disappears.

I don't see that.

I'll see if I can upload a picture tonight.

This is what I see (full-screen)
IMG_0037.PNG

And this when I'm in 1x mode:
IMG_0038.PNG

Obviously not what you see!

I got a reply from DJI asking me to try a different device. I don't have one so will have to see if I can borrow one from a colleague.

(iOS 11.4, so shouldn't be an OS problem.)

This is what I see (full-screen)
View attachment 88424

And this when I'm in 1x mode:
View attachment 88425

Obviously not what you see!

I got a reply from DJI asking me to try a different device. I don't have one so will have to see if I can borrow one from a colleague.

(iOS 11.4, so shouldn't be an OS problem.)
This is EXACTLY what my ipad mini 4 shows as well. I didn't know how to get back to the main page so I just end up closing the app and restarting it and not going to those settings. It works fine when flying, just not when going into the settings. I changed from the ipad mini 4 and have been using my Samsung S7 which displays just fine.

The IPad 4 is my 1st Apple device (not impressed) so there is a lot I don't know. But I note in settings there are some choices concerning magnify and zoom options. Any chance they are causing the problem?

Attachments

• IPad4.png
    IPad4.png
    219 KB · Views: 19
Looks like the zoom option is causing the problem. Go into Settings>Accessibility and either turn off the zoom option or use the adjustments to get the desired screen output.

You can also double tap 3 fingers on the screen to zoom in/out.
That may be how you got into that zoom display mode without realizing it.

Last edited:
The IPad 4 is my 1st Apple device (not impressed) so there is a lot I don't know. But I note in settings there are some choices concerning magnify and zoom options. Any chance they are causing the problem?

No idea, as I've never seen this problem before. But I've only run DJI Go, Canada Drone Pilot, and iBooks on this iPad so I don;t know if this is normal behaviour.

I do note that when I'm running unzoomed (ie. 1x display) the settings display is cropped to the aspect ratio of the iPad screen.

Looks like the zoom option is causing the problem. Go into Settings>Accessibility and either turn off the zoom option or use the adjustments to get the desired screen output.

You can also double tap 3 fingers on the screen to zoom in/out.
That may be how you got into that zoom display mode without realizing it.

I turned off the zoom (the second image) and got the smaller (but still cropped) window on the middle of a black screen.

Robert,

iOS 11.4 is quite old, a couple years behind the current iOS 13.3

If your ipad supports iOS 13 you should upgrade. See the Settings>General tab to see if an iOS update is pending.

I am running IOS 13 on mine. Maybe that is the difference.

I drove a couple of cities over to go to a DJI dealer to investigate this. iPad running iOS 13 worked. iPad running iOS 12 had the same problem I have running iOS 11.

Got a reply from DJI. I was underwhelmed, especially as when I pre-ordered the Mavic Mini iPads were listed as compatible devices. (I have no screenshot to prove this, but I wouldn't have ordered it if I'd known that I had to buy a new phone to use the drone.)

We appreciate your time and effort in bringing this inquiry. We will be happy to help you.

Regarding your concern, we have checked our resources and we found out the reason why you're having an issue with your iPad. As per checking on our website, you need to have an iOS 10.0 or above and we can see that the iPad is not compatible with the Mavic Mini. You may refer to the screenshot below for the compatible mobile device for Mavic Mini.

We strongly suggest using a mobile device that is listed above so that you don't have any issues/problems using the DJI Fly App and the unit.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000