DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it worth switching to Smart Controller?

RedSoxFan42

Reactions
I currently have a 3 month old Mavic Air (which I am selling) and I fly with a Crystal Sky 5.5 monitor. I am considering moving up to a Mavic 2 Pro. On DJI's website, the M2P is $1499 and the M2P with the smart controller is $1899 making the Smart Controller $400 versus buying alone for $649. If I did that then I would sell my 2 month old Crystal Sky 5.5 with PolarPro mount.
I use Litchi on my Crystal Sky as well as DJI Go 4. Am I better off staying with the Crystal Sky or is there an advantage to the Smart Controller that I should consider buying with the M2P? Thanks.

so, litchi still does not work on the smart controller, from what i am aware. so, if you absolutely need litchi - it may be a problem.

from all other perspectives - smart controller is a very convenient device.

is this confirmed? i ask not because i've done it myself but if i chose to i can install Litchi through the Amazon app store (i'm not comfortable using non-native OS yet); it's ~$24.

i've installed plenty of other 3rd party apps on the SC via amazon app store and they work fine so what's curious if you can install Litchi what's holding it back?

you can install litchi on the SC and it would even start - but would never be able to connect to the drone. at least it was not able to. i did not have time yet to test it myself yet, after i ran the upgrade yesterday. the reason that was communicated earlier by somebody was the difference in the API used on the SC and in the existing litchi app. it is essentially unable to communicate with the radio in the SC.

you can install litchi on the SC and it would even start - but would never be able to connect to the drone. at least it was not able to. i did not have time yet to test it myself yet, after i ran the upgrade yesterday. the reason that was communicated earlier by somebody was the difference in the API used on the SC and in the existing litchi app. it is essentially unable to communicate with the radio in the SC.

and that makes sense to me - i've just not made that leap into a non native OS (i get it's a 'app' but its the operating system for the drone so thats how i think of it) plus ~$24 for something that isn't native and not supported fully? a big nope in my mind.

I was just curious as to the why; after reading about the "workarounds" for updating the various devices;
face east,
turn your head to the left,
chant "goonga lagoonga",
reset the device to factory settings,
ensure the time of day is between 3pm and 6pm
and it MUST be on an even integer calendar day...

anyway i kid

Reactions: ff22
and that makes sense to me - i've just not made that leap into a non native OS (i get it's a 'app' but its the operating system for the drone so thats how i think of it) plus ~$24 for something that isn't native and not supported fully? a big nope in my mind.

I was just curious as to the why; after reading about the "workarounds" for updating the various devices;
face east,
turn your head to the left,
chant "goonga lagoonga",
reset the device to fa in the bright sunlight. ictory settings,
ensure the time of day is between 3pm and 6pm
and it MUST be on an even integer calendar day...

anyway i kid
I am definitely getting the impression it's not worth the aggravation. I currently use the Crystal Sky which is an Android device and DJI Go 4 and Litchi both work fine as far as running with my Mavic Air controller. I upgraded to the Crystal Sky because I never could find a good solution to view my iPhone 8 or iPad 9.7 in the bright sunlight. Based on these early replies, I think I will pass on the Smart Controller. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I am definitely getting the impression it's not worth the aggravation. I currently use the Crystal Sky which is an Android device and DJI Go 4 and Litchi both work fine as far as running with my Mavic Air controller. I upgraded to the Crystal Sky because I never could find a good solution to view my iPhone 8 or iPad 9.7 in the bright sunlight. Based on these early replies, I think I will pass on the Smart Controller. Thanks for all the suggestions.

While I have and really like the Smart Controller, I'm hoping there will be more people like you that choose not to get it since it is not very compatible with 3rd party android apps. Maybe if enough people opt out because of those shortcomings, DJI will reconsider and include the full Android OS including the Google modules. Many mapping, weather, wind type apps depend on location and/or google services and will not properly run on the SC.

Reactions: Former Member
I currently have a 3 month old Mavic Air (which I am selling) and I fly with a Crystal Sky 5.5 monitor. I am considering moving up to a Mavic 2 Pro. On DJI's website, the M2P is $1499 and the M2P with the smart controller is $1899 making the Smart Controller $400 versus buying alone for $649. If I did that then I would sell my 2 month old Crystal Sky 5.5 with PolarPro mount.
I use Litchi on my Crystal Sky as well as DJI Go 4. Am I better off staying with the Crystal Sky or is there an advantage to the Smart Controller that I should consider buying with the M2P? Thanks.
DJI Go 4 now has some functionality (waypoints) similar to Lichi but maybe not as good. If you like what DJI Go 4 is capable then I would definitely go for the SC as it is same size as your CS 5.5 monitor. There are several threads on the SC with good reviews, some with complains but it is understandable to have different views or sometimes some units have to fail it happens in all type of technologies.

I personally love it. I think it is very good quality, quick setup and takeoff, no fiddling with USB cables and many more advantages. Search for those other threads.

What waypoints in SC can do, maybe this link is good for reading:

DJI Go 4 now has some functionality (waypoints) similar to Lichi but maybe not as good. If you like what DJI Go 4 is capable then I would definitely go for the SC as it is same size as your CS 5.5 monitor. There are several threads on the SC with good reviews, some with complains but it is understandable to have different views or sometimes some units have to fail it happens in all type of technologies.

I personally love it. I think it is very good quality, quick setup and takeoff, no fiddling with USB cables and many more advantages. Search for those other threads.

What waypoints in SC can do, maybe this link is good for reading:

On Automated Missions... Has anybody recently tested them? In a number of threads, users have pointed out that the missions or maybe its the turning/turns are not smooth. Apparently, this happens with both Litchi and the native DJI software - some glitch? Is is not SC controller related but the way the drone executes the mission.

I am using a Huawei mediapad m5, 10 inch tablet. It cost me £300. It has double the size and it's cheaper.

Many things for you to consider here.
  1. Are you only going to have 1 drone, and will it be the M2P? Also think about the future. Will you be adding a different DJI drone? If you are only going to own the M2P, if you dont mind taking a big loss on your CS that you just bought, if you trust that you will be able to overcome some of the glitches that the SC has, then you might consider getting the SC.
  2. If you are going to use Litchi, my opinion is to stick with the CS. Tried and tested. Litchi so far does not work with the SC.
  3. Are you going to be happy with a lateral switch from a 5.5 CS to a 5.5 SC, for more money? If ti were me, I wouldnt pay more for a new device unless it was going to give me a bigger screen size, and added functionality.

Thanks, but if I don't like it and sell it, I'll be left with no RC.
You could always buy a used controller. I did exactly that. I will advise you not to do that. Once you get the SC you won't send it back.

Reactions: RogerMav
I am using a Huawei mediapad m5, 10 inch tablet. It cost me £300. It has double the size and it's cheaper.
If cost is the biggest factor in the decision I give the edge to other devices. If convenience, portability, clean setup, all-in-one, 1000 nit, removable storage is king.. Get it. It is unmatched! There is no device available that does what this device does.

Reactions: RogerMav
If cost is the biggest factor in the decision I give the edge to other devices. If convenience, portability, clean setup, all-in-one, 1000 nit, removable storage is king.. Get it. It is unmatched! There is no device available that does what this device does.
But some do it better. [emoji6]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique