DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is "magnetic interference" the worst thing for the mavic?

sir_ian

Reactions
So ive had 2 crashes now. and both due to Magnetic interference. this seems like the kryptonite for the mavic and im wording if there are any stops to [prevent flying into areas that HAVE STRONG magnetic interference. or a good quick exit strategy once you've encountered it.

You're right. And what to think about people calibrating their compass in such an area. Better don't calibrate again once you have a reliable calibration. Always move to a different location first when the app says to calibrate.

I've just crashed my Mavic Pro with the same issue. I had two flights in a park and came down to change the battery and before I took off, everything was locked in. I took off and within 5 seconds the screen flashed magnetic interferance and it took off reaching 17M/S. I wasn't as lucky and it hit a tree. I downloaded the flight data as requested by DJI and I have had no feed back, other than an Invoice to repair it. WTF?
I have flown in this park for over a weekwith no issues. Surely there is a fault in this Drone, just not sure how to gt hold of DJI to either get a replacement or a simple answer to ensure this does not happen again!

Attachments

• Flight.jpg
    Flight.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 82
So ive had 2 crashes now. and both due to Magnetic interference. this seems like the kryptonite for the mavic and im wording if there are any stops to [prevent flying into areas that HAVE STRONG magnetic interference. or a good quick exit strategy once you've encountered it.

CRAZZZZY

ive had 2 crashes and both times its "mag interference" one time i was low to the ground like 6-8 feet and it just flew into a window

the other time i was 65-75 feet up and it just drifted away and was uncontrollable ended up flying into the side of a bldg..

total nightmare for me..

calibrating the compass did nothing for me... it was fine at take off and then the "mag interference" just showed up mid flight and its not much you can do except pray it goes away and you get control back.

anyway sorry for your crash. but wanted you to know youre not alone.

The craft will enter into ATTI mode when magnetic interference occurs. It is then down to pilot skill not to crash.

In ATTI mode it will only hold its altitude, it will not automatically stop when you let go of all controls, you have to counter all movement

Last weekend I had my old
Pro up in the air and near the end of my flight I got the magnetic interference . Boom it went into atti mode . The 3 or 4 seconds I was looking at the screen to see what caught my eye the mavic drifted out of sight . I then looked at my display and turn the drone to face home point after climbing up about 60’ just to be safe . A few seconds later the misbehaving teenager was back over the cutline and I brought it in for a landing . It really surprised me as there was nothing around me for 30 miles other than my sxs .

Reactions: Hal.N
Last weekend I had my old
Pro up in the air and near the end of my flight I got the magnetic interference . Boom it went into atti mode . The 3 or 4 seconds I was looking at the screen to see what caught my eye the mavic drifted out of sight . I then looked at my display and turn the drone to face home point after climbing up about 60’ just to be safe . A few seconds later the misbehaving teenager was back over the cutline and I brought it in for a landing . It really surprised me as there was nothing around me for 30 miles other than my sxs .

LOL Are you sure it wasn't the SXS causing the magnetic interference? It is possible, any metal really can confuse the signal. That is to say if you were carrying that, you must have had a good reason, bears etc so a bit of mag interference is a risk to take over being mauled by any number of wild creatures out in the unknown...

097ae6407c6aaf1707f4342fc47493a8.jpg

I’m not sure how big you are but there is no way I can carry my sxs . It’s about 1900 pounds . At the time I got the magnetic interference the pro was about 60’ in the air and about 200 feet away . I was standing about 30’ from my sxs and so far standing near it don’t mess anything up . I have sat in the seat and flew the drone with zero problems .

I've never experienced "magnetic interference" during a flight. I'm trying to determine from this thread if it's something that you can always overcome as long as you are a capable pilot in ATTI mode, or, does it frequently send your drone off uncontrollably no matter how you intervene?

It sounds as if it's really not too bad as long as you catch it quickly and get your drone flying where you want it to. I realize that if you are under trees or right next to a structure that you might hit something before you get control, but, if you are in open sky, it shouldn't cause too much trouble if you catch it quickly. Is that fair to assume?

With me I new that as long as I got it up above any tree top I wouldn’t crash . I was dropping altitude and flying towards me when it happened . I was lucky that I was high enough hat the cross wind could not smash the pro into a tree . Once I put it up higher I just flew it back and landed but had to control the drones side movement from the crosswind .

It seems that a prudent "knee jerk" reaction might be to pull back on the right stick and push forward on the left. That might stop forward motion and get you up and clear.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
097ae6407c6aaf1707f4342fc47493a8.jpg

I’m not sure how big you are but there is no way I can carry my sxs . It’s about 1900 pounds . At the time I got the magnetic interference the pro was about 60’ in the air and about 200 feet away . I was standing about 30’ from my sxs and so far standing near it don’t mess anything up . I have sat in the seat and flew the drone with zero problems .
Ahh sorry I thought you meant SKS as in a rifle for protection from bears etc in remote regions... My fault for not reading. Beautiful vehicle you have there!

The bag on the back of the cab holds things just like you were thinking of .

This happened to me on my 2nd flight with the Mavic Zoom. I was in my parents backyard and it just flew itself right into their shed, totally unresponsive to me trying to land it.

It's now being repaired at DJI in NYC.

This happened to me on my 2nd flight with the Mavic Zoom. I was in my parents backyard and it just flew itself right into their shed, totally unresponsive to me trying to land it.

It's now being repaired at DJI in NYC.
Did you try to very quickly flip it to "Sport Mode" to stop everything that was running? If so and it still crashed that's a shame. Well, it's a shame regardless. Flipping to Sport Mode is supposed to stop all automated control and arrest the drone right where it is. It should just stop and hover. This safety protocol is often overlooked by new pilots. There is also a "red" pause button on the controller. It a fly-way or run-away situation, hit those first to stop the drone and then try to land. Don't try to hit RTH first as that may take too long and, well, you smash into something.

Did you try to very quickly flip it to "Sport Mode" to stop everything that was running? If so and it still crashed that's a shame. Well, it's a shame regardless. Flipping to Sport Mode is supposed to stop all automated control and arrest the drone right where it is. It should just stop and hover. This safety protocol is often overlooked by new pilots. There is also a "red" pause button on the controller. It a fly-way or run-away situation, hit those first to stop the drone and then try to land. Don't try to hit RTH first as that may take too long and, well, you smash into something.

I did not flip it to sports mode. Truthfully, I only had 2 hours of flight time prior to it crashing and in that moment I panicked. I wasn't even flying it when it crashed, it was just hovering. I'll make sure to flip that switch if this ever happens again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtlesn