DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is Santa Bringing you a Mavic for Christmas?

I have flown mine in the snow a couple times. I don't do long flights, just up to take a few shots, then back down. After each flight in the snow I let it sit out (battery out) in the house overnight to help dry any moister it may have picked up.

I’m real tempted, the snow is falling now with nice big flakes. I’d like to come up with some sort of 3D printed shroud or parka for the body and the motors to help repel any melted snowflakes causing chaos.

Mavic’s are so yesterday. It’s all about the Inspire with the new Zenmuse lense. XD
Yes, but not as protable, nor as expensive. Don't spoil their excitement.

Not to spoil your excitement "boys", a few words of wisdom, take it slow and easy, read the manual, the forum, watch the video's, stay in Beginner Mode until you are feeling comfortable enough to spread your wings. Only then you will have hours of fun flying.

Last edited:
21 hours out of 23 days left for me.

I would like to add one other tip for all of you in the cold weather regions that intend all flying their new gifts from Santa. Please note that your flight time(s) will be decreased when the batteries are cold, thus please don't attempt any distance records ;)
Just to also note the batteries do not get cold when they are in operation. Just make sure the batteries are already room temperature when starting the drone up.

Reactions: Robbyg
Yes, but not as protable, nor as expensive. Don't spoil their excitement.

Not to spoil your excitement "boys", a few words of wisdom, take it slow and easy, read the manual, the forum, watch the video's, stay in Beginner Mode until you are feeling comfortable enough to spread your wings. Only then you will have hours of fun flying.
I was joking. Don't take what I said seriously.

As suspected, the big fella didn’t leave a Mavic, not even a pair of fecking socks !

My mavic has been under the tree since December 2nd,TWO MORE DAYS,WOOHOO
I didnt bother wrapping it but its there all sealed and waiting,I tried keeping it to the back of the tree,out of sight,but my grand daughter keeps putting it to the front.:oops:
So who else is getting a new drone in 2 days?

Charging batteries, upgrading firmware, watching how-to first time flyer videos so far. Excited but anxious!

Charging batteries, upgrading firmware, watching how-to first time flyer videos so far. Excited but anxious!
Be a pilot, not a statistic.....take your time and learn all you can, don't fly indoors, and enjoy all the hours of pleasure it will give you.

Reactions: hallfleming
Be a pilot, not a statistic.....take your time and learn all you can, don't fly indoors, and enjoy all the hours of pleasure it will give you.
Thanks for the encouragement. There's so many how-to's on the first flights, etc. Watching all I can. Making sure I do my calibrations, etc. Really need to study the return to home settings and features like that. I'm on beginner mode so I'll do a few flights of basic ups and down so to speak.

Reactions: lightbg
Thanks for the encouragement. There's so many how-to's on the first flights, etc. Watching all I can. Making sure I do my calibrations, etc. Really need to study the return to home settings and features like that. I'm on beginner mode so I'll do a few flights of basic ups and down so to speak.

Since you seem eager to learn all you can, the biggest and best advice I can give you is learn how to fly. Seriously. RTH and all the automatic capabilities are wonderful, but make sure you understand basic orientation and stick management. If your display craps out when it's at the edge of LOS you'll know how to turn the ship and understand how to fly back safely. Most people here disagree with me about buying a trainer drone, but even a $50 Wally World Special can provide throttle management and orientation that you take for granted since the Mavic does that automatically. Plus when you can't fly outdoors you can fly a micro inside - stick time is stick time, regardless of the ship. I learned to fly helis when I was 55 and nose in orientation cost me big $$, but I learned, and now have the confidence to know my limits and fly safely.
I'll get off the soapbox now and let you enjoy your new ship.

Jake

Since you seem eager to learn all you can, the biggest and best advice I can give you is learn how to fly. Seriously. RTH and all the automatic capabilities are wonderful, but make sure you understand basic orientation and stick management. If your display craps out when it's at the edge of LOS you'll know how to turn the ship and understand how to fly back safely. Most people here disagree with me about buying a trainer drone, but even a $50 Wally World Special can provide throttle management and orientation that you take for granted since the Mavic does that automatically. Plus when you can't fly outdoors you can fly a micro inside - stick time is stick time, regardless of the ship. I learned to fly helis when I was 55 and nose in orientation cost me big $$, but I learned, and now have the confidence to know my limits and fly safely.
I'll get off the soapbox now and let you enjoy your new ship.

Jake
Makes perfect since. Great advice on stick time.... As long as it's not the gas powered line controlled planes I tried as a kid. Scared me to death! 2 rotations and in the dirt. That's another story...

Reactions: lightbg
Makes perfect since. Great advice on stick time.... As long as it's not the gas powered line controlled planes I tried as a kid. Scared me to death! 2 rotations and in the dirt. That's another story...

I buried a few Cox .049's myself :)

Jake

Reactions: hallfleming
Went on to YouTube and searched 'Mavic Pro' then sorted the list by date.

Quite a few Christmas day flights. Saw a 'first flight' indoor crash into a Christmas tree :D

Went on to YouTube and searched 'Mavic Pro' then sorted the list by date.

Quite a few Christmas day flights. Saw a 'first flight' indoor crash into a Christmas tree :D
How about a first flight into a water tower? Yes, yes, yes, I flew into a water tower today on its first flight. It took longer to setup than I had planned, and we were running late to leave for the in-law's for Christmas dinner. I hate to leave batteries fully charged so I wanted the maiden flight to run it down really quick. I flew it out to a water tower about a mile a way over a golf course, and as it went around it, it lost contact. Right next to the water tower, there is one of those cell towers disguised as a tree, and it was probably a contributing factor other than losing light of sight only briefly.

I watched the video after I had recovered it, and it showed it went into RTH but crashed into the tower. I believe that OA didn't work since the tower was white with no contrast for the OA to discern. It crashed to the ground, but it was still running and sending out its location. It is now boxed up for its repair, and it will go out tomorrow. We will see if "Bright Star" can be repaired or if I have to purchase a replacement.

Boneheads will be boneheads.

Again, Merry Christmas to all!!!

Doh!! Sorry to hear that!! Could've been, too, because it went sideways into the tower. (Though, you'd think it shouldn't have lost its way. Maybe next set it to go significantly higher before RTH to avoid absolutely anything? I find on my sports quads that whenever I get caught out, I punch straight up to regain view as there are less obstacles "above" me than anywhere else. (kinda my failsafe).

Hope she comes back quick & like new!!! Thumbswayup;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead