DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's Getting Harder and Harder to Fly a Drone

Part of it probably has to do with regulation and the cost of regulation. Drone laws can vary greatly from country to country. In Canada foreigners can fly a sub 250g drone as long as they follow the rules (don’t fly in National/Provincial parks etc.) and “don’t be stupid”. Any drone above 250g requires that you are Canadian citizen and have a drone pilot licence. It’s virtually impossible for a tourist to get all the documents required to fly a drone like the Mavic 3 in Canada.

The second part probably has to do with more restrictions to make it harder for those who have a total disregard for following any rules/regulations.

And third, in some countries especially in poorer countries being able to charge wealthy tourists who are willing to pay for ‘extra’ privileges to fly their drone is likely not much different than say paying a guide to take you on a personal tour of different sites of interest or locations.

Chris
Regarding the second part you noted, these types of people will never be concerned with any regulations, they will simply try and sneak their drones in and fly as secretly as they can. I'm not against gun laws but it is a bit like gun laws, such laws only control the law abiding. No criminal is going to say, ohhh darn now they have a law against it, I can't go and shoot and rob people now. The crimis will always get their guns, no matter what law is in place, it will just be a bit harder for them, than it used to be.

Reactions: Chrislaf
Any drone above 250g requires that you are Canadian citizen and have a drone pilot licence.
Foreign operators can apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate. No idea how hard this is to do. They will also need to pass the relevant exam (basic or advanced) depending on the operations being planned.

Reactions: Chrislaf
To all on this forum and to the moderator GF- I think this is certainly on topic

This is a follow up. I received this letter in today's e-mail from one of the commercial companies in Kenya given to me by the Kenya Civil Aviation Authorities. It is breath taking in the amount of costs and regulations that now arise due to government control of drone flying. Here is the letter. I am omitting the name of the operator.

Thank you for reaching out to us with your request. For your intended drone operation, we can take two approaches as detailed below:

"1. Obtaining a ROC support service. This would entail:
- Getting a RPL licenced pilot to operate the drone. As you are already a licensed drone pilot, then your existing licence will suffice
- Importing your drone. This requires a temporary import permit charged at Ksh 20,000 from KCAA and is valid for 30 days. The drone must be insured from its country of origin and the application should be made within a month of the intended operation.
- Obtain ROC support services from Astral. Where we will have you operate under our ROC licence. This is charged at $200 - $250 a day, and we shall need to have a minder from Astral Aerial accompany you during the whole operation.This includes travel days while travel, meals, park fees and accommodation costs are borne by the client.

2. Renting a drone and drone pilot service. This would entail:
- Renting a drone (Mavic 3) and a pilot to work under our ROC licence. This is charged at $500 / day (including travel days). The cost is exclusive of travel, accommodation, meals and park fees which shall be borne by the client.

Please find a ROC support checklist with all the required documents for ROC support approval from KCAA.

I look forward to your feedback on how to proceed.

Best regards,"

I think our days of flying drones are numbered!

Dale
Miami
You just have to break the law. With totally ridiculous requirements like that. I guess a better option would to avoid these anti drone countries and go elsewhere. I doubt anyone would comply with that letter.

I have planned a return safari to Kenya in October. On my prior trip there I flew a mini 2 from camp but never got any permit.I did not fly over animals, just our camp. So this time I was hoping to get a permit. No dice here. After writing for several days to the Kenya Air Authority I was referred to numerous commercial companies. Here is the answer I just received rom one of them.

Needless to say, I think it would be really risky to put the Mini into my luggage. It has gotten so difficult to fly a drone now, that many countries are just outright disallowing them. The same thing happened on my recent Middle East trip. I did not bring the drone because of severe fines and possible jail term.

This leaves me with the distinct feeling that the future for me flying on vacations are over with. Why would I even think of upgrading my M3 if I cannot fly it for recreation during travels?

Here is the reply from the commercial drone company in Nairobi.

Hi Dale,

Sadly, the Kenya regs make recreational flying nearly impossible. Additionally, as a foreigner you need a Kenya pilot with you when you fly. It is possible but very expensive in Gov fees and costs of paying for a local pilot to be with you. We are talking many 100s of USD.

My advice is don’t bring the drone. If you really want to fly you could hire but again there are masses op permits and gov fees involved and you’ll still need that local pilot to be with you.

Let me know if you still want to proceed.

Regards,

Craig Cleave

CEO | Kendrone Ltd

Commercial Drone Services | Drone Training | Source & Supply

The Kenya Drone Pioneers | 1st KCAA Approved Drone Organization |
I can’t speak to overseas regulations, but I’m not surprised. Some places are pretty corrupt and heavy handed in protecting their locals. I’d suspect Kenya probably wants to keep drone-use (and drone business) for Kenyans, and it’s not worth their while to grant exceptions for tourists. Just easier to charge a bunch of money that goes in some minor bureaucrat’s pocket.

Here in Illinois where I live, there’s a state law that forbids local municipalities from enacting anti-drone ordinances, and there are restrictions on law enforcement’s use of drones for law enforcement and evidence-gathering purposes. Local busybodies and Karens can’t just call up their local town official and demand something be done about drones.

So at least in some places, drone use is being protected.

I suspect that within a few years, we will be seeing LESS regulations on drone piloting, not more. Including in Kenya. For whatever reason Kenya has the rules they do, whether to protect wildlife, or to make money, to try to control videography of their lands, I think that eventually there will be a change in whatever is the rationale for such regulations and we will see more freedom for drone piloting everywhere. I think this will be the overall trend. This may not happen quickly, and there may still be more restrictions in the regulatory atmosphere for a short while, but I don't think this will last long.

Just my opinion based on all elements in the trajectory I'm looking at.

They are not making it hard, they are just making it expensive
For many of us, those are one in the same 😁

It's "hard" for me to make a visit to Kenya in the same way, so flying a drone there isn't an issue 🤣

This is exactly the kind of attitude and behaviour that causes more restrictions to be implemented which is what you are complaining about. The restrictions do not only affect you but they affect other drone fliers as well both foreign and probably local.

Last summer, I was in Gros Morne National Park in the town of Rocky Harbour. There was an American tourist standing outside his vehicle flying his DJI drone which was greater than 250g. Within the townsite it is legal to fly a drone in some areas but NOT a drone greater than 250g if you are a foreign flier. I was peeved but I chose not to say anything and let the authorities deal with him. He likely wasn't caught.

Drone flying in Canada is already pretty restricted but if this kind of thing keeps up and we have people with the kind attitude that you are promoting then there will come a point when drone flying will be even more restricted and maybe won't be allowed in the Rocky Harbour Townsite anymore or other places like it. That not only affects foreign tourists but it affects locals and citizens like myself. This is only one example that illustrates why "It's Getting Harder and Harder to Fly a Drone"

Chris
This is horrible! These law-breakers are spoiling it for us law-abiding and for everyone in general. Last year one insolent american tourist tried peeing behind the bushes in the forest, even though it is clearly stated that foreigners are not allowed to do it. Last week I saw some foreign looking guy spitting in the meadow, which is not allowed too, and I was so angry. Of course the legislation on this will expand because of these people. They are the real problem and the reason why spitting and peeing outside the toilet is completely prohibited in our country!

I agree it is a sad situation.

The things that have happened with people using drones the wrong way have created risks that government agencies are forced to deal with and sadly, the easiest way is to ban drones altogether.

But he did say, "nearly impossible" and the solution is costly. So, if you want to fly your drone it is expensive. Take some good photos to sell to recoup your cost.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... 🤣

That's not how it works at all, 1.145 people died last year and other 4.008 where heavily injured in my country and yet no one is putting a 3.5K target on me when I ride my car or my motorbike, and I can ride them wherever I want, whenever I want, with some simple rules and some simple fines.

0 deaths worldwide related to recreational flying of commercial drones of any weight, so please, It's time to face the facts and stop repeating a lie.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anthonydotcom
please don't share any pictures with us of the 0.855 of that person that's still alive
In Spain, where the OP is from, the period is used as a thousands separator and the comma is used as a decimal point. Likewise in Germany and many other European countries.

In Spain, where the OP is from, the period is used as a thousands separator and the comma is used as a decimal point. Likewise in Germany and many other European countries.
Well.

Please explain "3.5K". That's what influenced my interpretation.

I suspect that within a few years, we will be seeing LESS regulations on drone piloting, not more. Including in Kenya. For whatever reason Kenya has the rules they do, whether to protect wildlife, or to make money, to try to control videography of their lands, I think that eventually there will be a change in whatever is the rationale for such regulations and we will see more freedom for drone piloting everywhere. I think this will be the overall trend. This may not happen quickly, and there may still be more restrictions in the regulatory atmosphere for a short while, but I don't think this will last long.

Just my opinion based on all elements in the trajectory I'm looking at.
This was exactly my thought. I think a lot of countries just prefer to ban them until they can either come up with their own set of laws or see what other countries are doing and copy them. It takes time to regulate new technologies effectively and I don't think many governments view drones as having any positive effect on tourism and only potential negative issues associated with their use. I don't think many people are canceling their safaris because they can't fly a drone and the tourism lobby is probably filled with folks who don't want them being used. I can imagine safari operators being concerned about spooking wildlife or having tourists getting mauled by lions because they were looking at their controller or whatever and just saying "keep them out of here."

Let's over-regulate, and over-tax all the things - All governments of the world.

I could see there being a need for concern once people start dying from RC quadcopters (I didn't say drone, because some of those are specifically designed to do so). Once the body count rises past the number of deaths from falling out of bed each year then maybe they have somewhat of an argument. I mean, as of right now beds are more of a threat to humanity than quads. Maybe they should outlaw those everywhere too. Back on topic, the over regulation is silly for the most part. I know there are people who aren't as courteous as myself. But we allow those same individuals to drive cars and those are far more dangerous than my quad copter can ever be. Then again I'm sure the OP mentioned that cars are also nearly impossible to drive in Kenya too, right? Same with beds...

I swear, it's like we're living in backwards times right now. Mods please don't delete this. It's all in good fun. :)

Reactions: Hermey
Let's over-regulate, and over-tax all the things - All governments of the world.

I swear, it's like we're living in backwards times right now. Mods please don't delete this. It's all in good fun. :)

Control, or just trying to justify the existence of authority bodies ?
Maybe the conspiracy 'nuts' are on the money in some instances.

Yeah I have a harder time flying a drone where I live than doing pretty much anything else. I live in Los Angeles, and people smoke weed near playgrounds, cook meth in their RV's on the side of the road, and do burn outs in the middle of intersections all while spectators are getting ran over. But if I want to fly my quad somewhere it's a real pain. I can't fly my quad to get a gorgeous pic of the Hollywood sign, but I can steal hundreds of dollars worth of goods from a retailer on Hollywood Blvd with no prosecution. I think I need to move because it's apparently starting to get to me. ;)

Yeah I have a harder time flying a drone where I live than doing pretty much anything else. I live in Los Angeles, and people smoke weed near playgrounds, cook meth in their RV's on the side of the road, and do burn outs in the middle of intersections all while spectators are getting ran over. But if I want to fly my quad somewhere it's a real pain. I can't fly my quad to get a gorgeous pic of the Hollywood sign, but I can steal hundreds of dollars worth of goods from a retailer on Hollywood Blvd with no prosecution. I think I need to move because it's apparently starting to get to me. ;)

Yea, it's getting harder all over. People are more tuned to what you are doing, and of course they are more intolerant of all.

Last edited:
As is typical when traveling overseas, one must differentiate between what "service operators" tell you and what is the real law.

For Kenya, here is what the drone-laws site says about visitors using drones (based on the actual regulations):
"In Kenya, drone ownership is restricted to citizens, residents, businesses, and governments. This restriction would rule out foreign tourists, leaving only the option of renting a drone locally. The law does, however, include a 30-day temporary permit that may be appropriate for travelers."
There is additional information on how to apply for that temporary permit. It might not be easy, but it is possible.
Each country is different, though, and that's why we recommend checking the definitive drone laws by going to a site like drone-laws

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne