DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's Getting Harder and Harder to Fly a Drone

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
I have planned a return safari to Kenya in October. On my prior trip there I flew a mini 2 from camp but never got any permit.I did not fly over animals, just our camp. So this time I was hoping to get a permit. No dice here. After writing for several days to the Kenya Air Authority I was referred to numerous commercial companies. Here is the answer I just received rom one of them.

Needless to say, I think it would be really risky to put the Mini into my luggage. It has gotten so difficult to fly a drone now, that many countries are just outright disallowing them. The same thing happened on my recent Middle East trip. I did not bring the drone because of severe fines and possible jail term.

This leaves me with the distinct feeling that the future for me flying on vacations are over with. Why would I even think of upgrading my M3 if I cannot fly it for recreation during travels?

Here is the reply from the commercial drone company in Nairobi.

Hi Dale,

Sadly, the Kenya regs make recreational flying nearly impossible. Additionally, as a foreigner you need a Kenya pilot with you when you fly. It is possible but very expensive in Gov fees and costs of paying for a local pilot to be with you. We are talking many 100s of USD.

My advice is don’t bring the drone. If you really want to fly you could hire but again there are masses op permits and gov fees involved and you’ll still need that local pilot to be with you.

Let me know if you still want to proceed.

Regards,

Craig Cleave

CEO | Kendrone Ltd

Commercial Drone Services | Drone Training | Source & Supply

The Kenya Drone Pioneers | 1st KCAA Approved Drone Organization |

I agree it is a sad situation.

The things that have happened with people using drones the wrong way have created risks that government agencies are forced to deal with and sadly, the easiest way is to ban drones altogether.

But he did say, "nearly impossible" and the solution is costly. So, if you want to fly your drone it is expensive. Take some good photos to sell to recoup your cost.

Dale,

I share in your frustration and pessimism about the future of flying outside your country. I've spent countless hours trying to setup a legal path to flying in the Dolomites in Italy this year. Unless you come from the EU it appears impossible to register. Also the insurance requirement is costly.

Happily, there are endless flying opportunities in the USA.

Mark

I agree it is a sad situation.

The things that have happened with people using drones the wrong way have created risks that government agencies are forced to deal with and sadly, the easiest way is to ban drones altogether.

But he did say, "nearly impossible" and the solution is costly. So, if you want to fly your drone it is expensive. Take some good photos to sell to recoup your cost.
GF
I have taken the most amazing images on my African safaris in the pst...My tour company wrote to ask me to use several of them for promotion but could not pay me. I have never sold an image so I doubt it will happen this time. I will either try to sneak in the mini 2 which I did last time, or leave it home. I would never take the M3. Worst that can happen at customs is confiscation (they mention this on the web site) and return on leaving the country. Once it gets into the wide open county it would be nearly impossible to get into trouble. There are simply no enforcements there in the areas I would be going.

Reactions: Richard R
GF
I will either try to sneak in the mini 2 which I did last time, or leave it home. I would never take the M3. Worst that can happen at customs is confiscation
Why would you even contemplate sneaking it into Africa. You've been given a choice, and either you do it legally with the added cost, or don't attempt it at all. I'm not trying to moralize here, but are the images you take that important that you would risk the penalties?

I have planned a return safari to Kenya in October. On my prior trip there I flew a mini 2 from camp but never got any permit.I did not fly over animals, just our camp. So this time I was hoping to get a permit. No dice here. After writing for several days to the Kenya Air Authority I was referred to numerous commercial companies. Here is the answer I just received rom one of them.

Needless to say, I think it would be really risky to put the Mini into my luggage. It has gotten so difficult to fly a drone now, that many countries are just outright disallowing them. The same thing happened on my recent Middle East trip. I did not bring the drone because of severe fines and possible jail term.

This leaves me with the distinct feeling that the future for me flying on vacations are over with. Why would I even think of upgrading my M3 if I cannot fly it for recreation during travels?

Here is the reply from the commercial drone company in Nairobi.

Hi Dale,

Sadly, the Kenya regs make recreational flying nearly impossible. Additionally, as a foreigner you need a Kenya pilot with you when you fly. It is possible but very expensive in Gov fees and costs of paying for a local pilot to be with you. We are talking many 100s of USD.

My advice is don’t bring the drone. If you really want to fly you could hire but again there are masses op permits and gov fees involved and you’ll still need that local pilot to be with you.

Let me know if you still want to proceed.

Regards,

Craig Cleave

CEO | Kendrone Ltd

Commercial Drone Services | Drone Training | Source & Supply

The Kenya Drone Pioneers | 1st KCAA Approved Drone Organization |
Looks to me like the kickback circuit is now operational in Kenya.

Why would you even contemplate sneaking it into Africa. You've been given a choice, and either you do it legally with the added cost, or don't attempt it at all. I'm not trying to moralize here, but are the images you take that important that you would risk the penalties?
Just thinking out loud- sorry

Dale,

Please remember all the stories of "Fat-Cat, Wealthy Americans" who do not respect the laws of the local county. If a location is having problems with "Entitled" folks ignoring the local laws and customs, they just might use this opportunity to "set an Example" for others who do not respect the local laws and customs…

I remember seeing a news story about some American College "kids" off in some far-off country being arrested for breaking the law and hearing them scream at the cameras that they had a right to do this (I don't remember they did), they were demanding to see their lawyer, they were screaming about First Amendment Rights…

The local Police were also interviewed and they said those kids must think they are still in America, they are lucky we did not shoot them…

Dale,

Please remember all the stories of "Fat-Cat, Wealthy Americans" who do not respect the laws of the local county. If a location is having problems with "Entitled" folks ignoring the local laws and customs, they just might use this opportunity to "set an Example" for others who do not respect the local laws and customs…

I remember seeing a news story about some American College "kids" off in some far-off country being arrested for breaking the law and hearing them scream at the cameras that they had a right to do this (I don't remember they did), they were demanding to see their lawyer, they were screaming about First Amendment Rights…

The local Police were also interviewed and they said those kids must think they are still in America, they are lucky we did not shoot them…
I am not a wealthy fat cat (wish I was), but of course you were not referring to me, nor am I a careless teenager- I am soon be an 85 year old fart. I am just a frustrated avid photographer/videographer trying to capture great images f or a video.

Sorry to read this for all of us. As I've stated in other threads, I have no idea what they think they are protecting.

Reactions: Anthonydotcom
Sorry to read this for all of us. As I've stated in other threads, I have no idea what they think they are protecting.
You make the mistake of assuming there is a defensible rationale for this 😁😁

Given the county, IMO there isn't, and never was. It's been about muscle flexing (metaphorically) and $$, from the beginning.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
I will either try to sneak in the mini 2 which I did last time, or leave it home. I would never take the M3. Worst that can happen at customs is confiscation (they mention this on the web site) and return on leaving the country. Once it gets into the wide open county it would be nearly impossible to get into trouble. There are simply no enforcements there in the areas I would be going.
This is exactly the kind of attitude and behaviour that causes more restrictions to be implemented which is what you are complaining about. The restrictions do not only affect you but they affect other drone fliers as well both foreign and probably local.

Last summer, I was in Gros Morne National Park in the town of Rocky Harbour. There was an American tourist standing outside his vehicle flying his DJI drone which was greater than 250g. Within the townsite it is legal to fly a drone in some areas but NOT a drone greater than 250g if you are a foreign flier. I was peeved but I chose not to say anything and let the authorities deal with him. He likely wasn't caught.

Drone flying in Canada is already pretty restricted but if this kind of thing keeps up and we have people with the kind attitude that you are promoting then there will come a point when drone flying will be even more restricted and maybe won't be allowed in the Rocky Harbour Townsite anymore or other places like it. That not only affects foreign tourists but it affects locals and citizens like myself. This is only one example that illustrates why "It's Getting Harder and Harder to Fly a Drone"

Chris

Oh boy Dale, you've stepped in it now.

Do you have a Nomex suit? I've got one you can borrow that's been getting a lot of use around here lately 😆😆

This is exactly the kind of attitude and behaviour that causes more restrictions to be implemented which is what you are complaining about. The restrictions do not only affect you but they affect other drone fliers as well both foreign and probably local.

Last summer, I was in Gros Morne National Park in the town of Rocky Harbour. There was an American tourist standing outside his vehicle flying his DJI drone which was greater than 250g. Within the townsite it is legal to fly a drone in some areas but NOT a drone greater than 250g if you are a foreign flier. I was peeved but I chose not to say anything and let the authorities deal with him. He likely wasn't caught.

Drone flying in Canada is already pretty restricted but if this kind of thing keeps up and we have people with the kind attitude that you are promoting then there will come a point when drone flying will be even more restricted and maybe won't be allowed in the Rocky Harbour Townsite anymore or other places like it. That not only affects foreign tourists but it affects locals and citizens like myself. This is only one example that illustrates why "It's Getting Harder and Harder to Fly a Drone"

Chris
I’ve always tried hard to show respect when out of country and it’s brought me a lot of good will. The only country I was unable to comply with was Kazakhstan. That was not due to intent. The we’re creating law faster than I could comply. They were kind enough to let me leave without confrontation or penalty. As noted, there are many influences in play. It’s the human way. Utopia is a misguided mindset.

Reactions: Riteguy
Just a thought....

Purchase a pocket fisherman, a helium balloon and hang a GoPro camera from it to simulate aerial flight, even though it's a tethered flight, you might get some shots?

Like I said, just a thought. 🤔

I’ve always tried hard to show respect when out of country and it’s brought me a lot of good will. The only country I was unable to comply with was Kazakhstan. That was not due to intent. The we’re creating law faster than I could comply. They were kind enough to let me leave without confrontation or penalty. As noted, there are many influences in play. It’s the human way. Utopia is a misguided mindset.
This agrees with the policy of other "Stan" countries. I am currently looking at a fantastic trip in 2024 to Kyrgystan, which is one of the most mountainous and beautiful countries on the globe.Tourism is in its infancy there and there are no people to get in your way any place.

Flying drones there are advertised by the travel company I am using. This will, of course, encourage tourism and income to these countries, should they decide to buck the rigid rules that are rapidly affecting almost every place we travel. I would gladly attach their video but I would be giving away my secret place and there are only 6 places on the trip available. I've never seen such beautiful drone footage. I now am starting to select drone friendly venues over drone-agonistic countries and places to visit. It can work both ways.

Dale

This agrees with the policy of other "Stan" countries. I am currently looking at a fantastic trip in 2024 to Kyrgystan, which is one of the most mountainous and beautiful countries on the globe.Tourism is in its infancy there and there are no people to get in your way any place.

Flying drones there are advertised by the travel company I am using. This will, of course, encourage tourism and income to these countries, should they decide to buck the rigid rules that are rapidly affecting almost every place we travel. I would gladly attach their video but I would be giving away my secret place and there are only 6 places on the trip available. I've never seen such beautiful drone footage. I now am starting to select drone friendly venues over drone-agonistic countries and places to visit. It can work both ways.

Dale
Allowing drone flight would seem to be revenue generating. Makes more sense to me than having exhausting lists of restrictions. When I went there the country was in infancy. I was smuggled under blankets through checkpoints. Everything was in constant flux. Obviously things are different today.

Well we need to respect fly laws in other countries just as we do here. I have no doubt tourists worldwide have done the wrong things at one time or another that has pissed off the locals.

*** STAY ON TOPIC! ***
Some posts have already been removed. Should this continue, this thread will be locked.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne