DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's handy being able to add applications to the SC

plextech

Reactions
Having everything in the one box is very handy. One of the things I always take with me is on of those el-cheapo RTL2832 USB software-defined radios you can pick up on eBay for around twenty bucks. Even though I'm unlikely to be flying in Class A or E airspace (at least, not until I get a very long extension lead with three-phase power to tether the Mavic with, plus some rocket fuel), I always like to know where traffic is, out of curiosity. I find Avare ADSB to work quite well, and it's at my fingertips. Really handy as most of my flying is in the bush and there is no Internet of any kind.

1564457013970.png

BTW here's another handy application: using the Smart Controller as an air band receiver. Although I do have an air band transceiver with me out in the field, 99% of the time it's only used for monitoring. Sometimes it's just more convenient to have the SDR running in the background whilst I'm using the controller - the volume is loud enough. This is also a good solution in case the handheld has a failure or the battery goes flat.

sdr.png

Reactions: ff22
What app on the SC are you using for ADSB? Tell me more ... this looks interesting

I use Avare ADSB Pro, as shown in the original photo. I just plug the SDR into the USB port on the SC, and away I go. The only hassle is where you put the antenna. I'm thinking of putting a small plate under the material of a hi-vis vest above the shoulder, as the antenna is magnetic. It might look dorky, but hey, it'll work.

1565415963842.png

1565417533258.png

Tapping on the label will even call up Flightradar24 and pass the data :)

1565424692800.png

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElNancio