DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I've been talked out of the Mavic 2 for now

I am also a loyal dji owner and have tried allmost all the dji products so far including the mavic pro and the mavic air.
Now i just received the mavic 2 pro and i have used it for a few days so i can say that i know what i am talking about..
Its an amazing machine which is emproved in everything over the mavic pro which i had (i dont have the platinum).
All the things you are saying are not true, it has everything the mavic 1 had plus much much much more..
I mean the Haseblad 1" camera is just amazing.
The precision landing is there with even a led light for the night!!
more sensors .. faster... more flight time... come on now ..
And the quality is exaclty the same as the mavic pro was not better not worse.. just perfect!
Didnt you see the video of a guy hiting the mavic at speed to a tree and nothing happened to it??

Pano mode works with dng, You just have to dig down in the settings and find "save original", you can set it to jpg or dng. This is different than MPP, which took both jpg and dng in pano mode. But you for sure can take dngs in the various pano modes. Even with save original set to raw for pano, the counter on the main page of djigo4 shows jpgs, which is confusing, totally agree. But it will work.

Camera IMO is worth the upgrade. Pretty much the same as P4 Pro, however possibly a bit better low light response, and highlights.

Noise, flying them side by side, I personally can't tell any difference. Both MPP and MP 2 are pretty similar.

Paul C

Thanks for your thoughtful comments. It appears it does shoot RAW in pano mode, they looks like DJI 'improved' the GUI and made it less obvious.

I never used the word widespread. Seeing more than a few reports of out of the box issues. All new products have them, but they still give a shopper pause.

Precision take off should not have been taken out. Lot's of people use it, it was reliable and useful. It's a feature taken away for no obvious good reason. In am emergency it could save a drone.

My interest was the pro. The zoom does not really have updated image quality, but it should have been improved. I expect the next version of the Mavic will have the zoom function AND a 1" sensor. That will be great.

I think if the Mavic 2 appeals to a person they should buy it for sure. But it doesn't tick all the boxes for me. It may with appropriate firmware updates, but in my judgement, and MY judgement only, it's not the compelling purchase I expected it to be. It may be after some tweeks. I'm standing by.

Have had air pro and MPP, now the M2P. The others dont even compare to how much better this is.

Precision landing. Ive used RTH everytime just to see and its landing within a foot or so of where it took off.. no its not precise and im sure will be added in new software/firmware release but for now its good.

Actually thats all im gonna say cuz its really so much better that I could keep writing for an hour, but i dont work for dji so i dont care if u dont want a far superior drone. Have fun with the Mpp and wait it out but u will be mad at urself at some point if u fly a M2P.

Last edited:
Reactions: ssvdh66
we get it! Yours is better than ours...... :D
A better lens is only important to photo purists. Not hobby flyers. I know only a few people that have displays that can show better than 1080p anyway. My photos/videos from my MP are MORE than I need in resolution.
More crash protection sensors is only important for those that need to fly close to obstacles with out much flying skill.
Not everyone is a professional, or even a hobby photographer. Some of us (a good amount of us) just want to "see what is over there"
There is not much more to say, for some people the new model at the far greater cost will do NOTHING we need.
But I enjoy reading all the excitement about peoples new toys, and how they can better use them than their old drones. No need to make it about what people can afford or where it places them on a social scale.

Panos do shoot RAW. Not sure where the OP heard it doesn;t.
Then again, who the hell would use the auto pano feature with all its limitations?

A better lens is only important to photo purists. Not hobby flyers. I know only a few people that have displays that can show better than 1080p anyway. My photos/videos from my MP are MORE than I need in resolution.
More crash protection sensors is only important for those that need to fly close to obstacles with out much flying skill.
Not everyone is a professional, or even a hobby photographer. Some of us (a good amount of us) just want to "see what is over there"
There is not much more to say, for some people the new model at the far greater cost will do NOTHING we need.
But I enjoy reading all the excitement about peoples new toys, and how they can better use them than their old drones. No need to make it about what people can afford or where it places them on a social scale.

Im not a photographer either. Its not just about the camera tho, the unit itself feels much more.. stout. Its heavier and u can tell in the way it flies. The speed is nice also. Ive hit 46.6mph and it wasnt on a windy day.

The sensors are a plus just cuz I like to fly in sport mode and then when returning ill go to P mode with sensors for a safer landing.

Reactions: Harrier
I was one of those DJI customers that could not wait for the second generation Mavic, but reading many of the threads up here has really given me pause.

Sloppy assembly, killing useful features, and plenty of reported 'issues' have me really not wanting to upgrade.

My current drone is a Mavic Pro Platinum. It's quiet, stable, and has been reliable.

As a pro photographer I understand the limitations of the camera it has, but doing panos and shooting RAW I can get some breathtaking images.

http://www.azdeepskies.com/_Media/pano000y-pano.jpeg

No precision landing is a non-starter. Sure, I usually land manually, but there are times it's very nice to have, so why take it away?

Jpegs only on panoramas? What are they thinking at DJI? The Mavic 2 is supposed to be a better photography tool than the Mavic 1. Why have a better sensor and then prohibit you from shooting RAW in that mode?

The Zoom model is also another head scratcher. It's basically the same camera (sensor) I have now.

In my view a new model should improve on the old in many areas, but never get behind the model it replaces. That's the apparent mistake DJI has made here.

Some of these things can be fixed in firmware if DJI decides it wants to. Some things, like the camera sensor on the Zoom can't be fixed.

I'm sticking with my MPP, which takes fine pictures, is quieter than the new Mavic 2 according to several reports, and doesn't have crippled RAW capabilities.

I was ready to buy, and maybe in months or a year Q/A will get better and the Mavic Pro 2 will tempt me. But for now, no sale.
ive been on the fence now for 2 weeks trying to decide on buying the Mp2
Ive loaded my money card several times and every time a new issue pops up on the mp2,i know some are likely to be user error but some must be issues.and now i fine theres no precision landing feature and to me thats a big deal
im still on the fence getting more grey hair every day:)

Just my 2 cents...

I had the Mavic Pro but sold it two weeks ago. :) But I absolutely loved that little flying machine. It inspired and amazed me every time I would fly it. And I flew it a lot!

Enter the Mavic 2 Zoom. I absolutely LOVE this drone! With the features I use, it was improved in every single way. Some were small improvements and others were huge. I almost second-guessed my decision of selling my MP to get a M2Z because of fears of early adopter bugs. But the thing has been rock solid so far. And again... I am in awe every time I fly it. It's an incredible piece of technology!
  1. The camera quality is a small improvement over the MP but it has ZOOM! Way cool! Thumbswayup
  2. The gimbal is a HUGE improvement!
  3. Sensors all around vs forward and down.
  4. Sensor sensitivity and distance has been increased.
  5. Increased flight time.
  6. Increased speed. BTW, on the MP, I could only fly about 20 MPH with sensors on. M2P and M2Z can go 30!
  7. Way better Accutrack!
  8. Occusync 2.0. Have already experienced better quality connections especially in hi WiFi areas.
  9. Smoother flight. It's very stable and not as skittish.
  10. Quieter than MP.
  11. APAS
  12. Etc...
No worries in waiting. Things should only get better with newer firmware and updates. But so far, I'm not regretting the upgrade!

FYI: the original poster said he is a professional photographer, so the focus on hobby fliers seems a bit off topic. In the context of the original post, lens quality, sensor size, RAW panos, etc are very relevant.

As others have pretty consistently reported, the MPP is slightly quieter than the new Mavic 2. As I stated before, if I'm going to shell out a lot of cash for a new drone, I expect it to equal or surpass my old one in all respects.

Reactions: HaWu
As others have pretty consistently reported, the MPP is slightly quieter than the new Mavic 2. As I stated before, if I'm going to shell out a lot of cash for a new drone, I expect it to equal or surpass my old one in all respects.

Come on. You know your gonna get it. Why spend time in a Mavic 2 Pro forum... unless deep down you really want us to talk you into it. :)

Seriously. You’re a professional photographer. Doesn’t the chance to work with a friggin flying Hasselblad camera do anything for you? Does the (likely temporary) lack of percision landing and a very slight noise increase really outweigh image quality?

Come on. You know your gonna get it. Why spend time in a Mavic 2 Pro forum... unless deep down you really want us to talk you into it. :)

Seriously. You’re a professional photographer. Doesn’t the chance to work with a friggin flying Hasselblad camera do anything for you? Does the (likely temporary) lack of percision landing and a very slight noise increase really outweigh image quality?
As I stated up front I may get one after some issues are fixed. My look at early images from the camera do not knock me out... sorry.., that's what I see...

there is simply no way in that size of camera to have both an optical zoom capability with a 1" sensor.
Funny, that's what everyone said about the 1/2" sensor 3yrs ago. "No way"! You can't put optical zoom on a drone!

Just wait, 1" with zoom will come eventually. I bet Haselblad is working on it now. :rolleyes:

As I stated up front I may get one after some issues are fixed. My look at early images from the camera do not knock me out... sorry.., that's what I see...
Really?
So first it was noise, lack of percision landing, manufacturing quality issues, lack of RAW in pano mode. I could go back and check, but I don’t recall you mentioning image quality, which is strange for a professional photographer to overlook.

Now you mention image quality? Now? Only after each of your points has essentially been refuted.

Something doesn’t add up. I’m sorry, but coming from a background where drones were as loud as lawn mowers, didn’t even have GPS, or gimbals, or obstacle avoidance, or Hasselblad cameras, it’s just very hard to take your comments seriously. And besides, why post here and carry on if your only goal is justify why YOU, a professional photographer, don’t want this equipment. Seems far more logical to just move along... unless there is an unspoken agenda at play. I guess I assumed you are like every other professional photographer I know, all of whom are very intrigued by the m2pro.

Reactions: Callum and Colbymh
Really?
So first it was noise, lack of percision landing, manufacturing quality issues, lack of RAW in pano mode. I could go back and check, but I don’t recall you mentioning image quality, which is strange for a professional photographer to overlook.

Now you mention image quality? Now? Only after each of your points has essentially been refuted.

Something doesn’t add up. I’m sorry, but coming from a background where drones were as loud as lawn mowers, didn’t even have GPS, or gimbals, or obstacle avoidance, or Hasselblad cameras, it’s just very hard to take your comments seriously. And besides, why post here and carry on if your only goal is justify why YOU, a professional photographer, don’t want this equipment. Seems far more logical to just move along... unless there is an unspoken agenda at play. I guess I assumed you are like every other professional photographer I know, all of whom are very intrigued by the m2pro.
I'm sure if you re-read my initial post you will find what you missed.

I'm sorry, I thought the forum was for stating opinions. I gave my mine. Is it somehow inferior to yours? Doubt it.

You are surely entitled to your opinion. I had no hidden agenda. just to state my opinion like hundreds of other have done in their posts.

I don't think I have to move along because you don't agree with me. Is this forum only for fanboys? I loved (love) my MPP, stated so many times on the forum.

And I really don't care if you take my comments seriously or not. I don't find the camera a tremendous leap forward. You do. Fine with me.

Try to keep your anger issues in check. I'm not angry at anybody. Just stated my views. The only thing I stated wrongly was the RAW issue on panos, and I freely admitted that was no longer an issue.

Good try tho.

Enjoy your Mavic 2. Looks like a good drone. Just not the value proposition I expected. But it was for you, so great.

*caution, light hearted sarcasm follows*
Yeah Mel..... how can you call yourself a professional photographer if you dont have the best camera you can get.

Is that the message you are trying to convey @Dmbrody? Because if so, I dont agree.
Quality photography isnt totally reliant on pixel count or equipment quality/cost. Its more about talent than anything else.

I once told someone I couldn't arc weld, He told me get a wire feed welder because it would make a welder out of anybody. Kind of like great cameras make photographers out of anybody.

Geez, getting stuffy in here. Folks, get whatever drone you like. I made no suggestions for anyone else..just gave my personal thoughts. Somewhere down the road I'll have a new Mavic, it just has to be of value for the features I want and value for the expenditure.

Magazines and photo websites are chock full of really spectacular Mavic Pro photos. Award winning breathtaking photos. They didn't all suddenly become poor quality because DJI announced a new camera,

Get a grip.

Funny, that's what everyone said about the 1/2" sensor 3yrs ago. "No way"! You can't put optical zoom on a drone!

Just wait, 1" with zoom will come eventually. I bet Haselblad is working on it now. :rolleyes:

I don't recall anyone saying that, but then people say all kinds of strange things. Anyway - this is not about advances in technology - it's simple optics. The advent of small zooms has been achieved by miniaturizing sensors. Larger sensors still require longer lenses.

FYI: the original poster said he is a professional photographer, so the focus on hobby fliers seems a bit off topic. In the context of the original post, lens quality, sensor size, RAW panos, etc are very relevant.
I think the MP has bad lens glass myself, and a weak processor. Things turn to mush many times, and I attribute that to a slow 60mbps write speed, and hindered low light capability, less dynamic range. My P3P glass takes better video than my MP, and they both have the same sensor. I attribute that poor MP video quality to a lesser capable lens in the MP. Sun flares are horrid in the MP. Even with the sun 80 degrees to the side, I get sun spots or flares in the lens. I get much nicer quality from the P3P and P4, which I still own both today, both having the same sensor. From what I've seen and heard reported, the M2Z has a better lens for the 1/2" sensor, better glass I think. The M2P has an even better lens, and the 1" sensor is killer, with way better dynamic range and light gathering capability. I can't imagine a pro photographer not jumping on the M2P, given the advantages. My only disappointment is the M2P can't do 4K@60FPS like my P4P, but neither can most of the DSLRs out there. I've yet to find a point and shoot for under $2K that can do 4K@60FPS, and mine flies (P4P).

I too keep an eye on the reports for DJI new releases before I buy. I've learned what to expect from DJI. Although I love their products, it's common for initial DJI releases to be problematic, that's their history. However this release has been one of the smoothest I've witnessed so far. Given the thousands that have shipped, very few complaints. I'll be buying mine next week.

I heard a rumor that DJI is outsourcing the manufacturing of their consumer drones now, or will soon (Phantom and lower models). They plan to only manufacture the Enterprise models (Inspire and higher). Although I haven't heard who their contract manufacturer is, I would assume it's a rather large company that's good with high tech products with high volume capabilities, like cellphones manufacturers in China. Maybe a company like Flextronics, Xiaomi, or Huawei. Maybe that's why this release has been so smooth, but that's pure speculation.

Reactions: Dmbrody
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas