DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I've been talked out of the Mavic 2 for now

New to the forum and switching to DJI from multiple other drones where the mfg's have all dropped their consumer drones and went commercial/military...... Just sold my Typhoon H to get a Mavic unit (have not decided yet on which) and spending time on the forum.....

Just a quick chime in on the sound level. Sound Physics...... With all the notes above and doing some quick calculations..... I am really impressed that DJI was able to keep the sound level slightly above or better (to some) with a drone that is 173 grams heavier. Blades are slightly longer and slightly different in design but ****..... The physics of keeping the sound level down with a 23.5% increase in weight/load on the blades..... to me that's an improvement even if it's slightly louder.

To get better information we need to know the blade RPM's for comparison. Both drones hovering.... what RPM's are the blades going. Calculate using the blade pitch/chord/length for the lift and the sound pitch will be different...

Just my 2 cents. Really enjoy reading all the supportive and informative posts so far.....

Welcome!
Do a few forum searches for "low noise props" There was a lot of discussion and testing done with the release of the Mavic Pro Platinum and its "new" props. Everything you seek will be contained there!

Reactions: EnlightenOnQ
I definitely have seen compass redundancy switch message on my Mavic Pro, and have uncommanded ATTI switch once at night taking off from the roof of my car. My car is mostly aluminum and has a glass roof, so it usually works ok but just not that night. It regained GPS mode after maybe 10 seconds.

Back in the day, I had my phantom 2 almost flew away. In GPS mode and then it glitched, took off sideways uncommanded as fast it could. I had to jam on the throttle to have it climb to avoid clipping a house and then flicked it into ATTI mode myself to regain control. Not sure what happened then.

Perhaps haveing dual compass allows the drone to recognize when something is wrong (compass don’t agree) and drop you into ATTi mode as opposed to trusting a bad compass and fly away.

I wis Mavic has a manual ATTI mode switch.

I never had an IMU error in flight but I could imagine it would be a lot worse. And here is no manual mode anymore since P2 to give you a chance to save it.

I definitely have seen compass redundancy switch message on my Mavic Pro, and have uncommanded ATTI switch once at night taking off from the roof of my car. My car is mostly aluminum and has a glass roof, so it usually works ok but just not that night. It regained GPS mode after maybe 10 seconds.

Back in the day, I had my phantom 2 almost flew away. In GPS mode and then it glitched, took off sideways uncommanded as fast it could. I had to jam on the throttle to have it climb to avoid clipping a house and then flicked it into ATTI mode myself to regain control. Not sure what happened then.

Perhaps haveing dual compass allows the drone to recognize when something is wrong (compass don’t agree) and drop you into ATTi mode as opposed to trusting a bad compass and fly away.

I wis Mavic has a manual ATTI mode switch.

I never had an IMU error in flight but I could imagine it would be a lot worse. And here is no manual mode anymore since P2 to give you a chance to save it.

You can have ATTI mode on the Mavic if you want – it just requires a single parameter change to remap the flight mode switch.

Reactions: rfc
Lon, your footage looks really really good! You mean to tell me you shot all your video in Auto? Do you mind sharing your sharpness/saturation/contrast settings? If you did not shoot in Auto, do you mind sharing your settings?

Here's the crap I'm doing but I'm working on it!

Reactions: bluesgeek
Exactly! I have every iteration of the consumer [snip]
thank you for the still shots. so many folks focusing fixated on video performance.

i'm planning on buying the Mavic 2 pro mostly for still shots.
it seems that is where it really shines.

the rest will probably be 1080 120FPS HQ mode clips.

the 4K FOV (wide field of view) mode on the Mavic 2 pro is doing some kind of line skipping or something which makes the video look softer.

interesting theory on the subject, as well as some comparisons (Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic 2 Zoom, and Phantom 4 pro v2) of video quality with test patterns.
long version
[edit] thread on the subject → Mavic Pro-2 vs Zoom and P4P - Line Skipping + Sensor Heat? [/edit]
if you want 4K video with a wide FOV (field of view) the Phantom 4 pro v2 seems to have the edge there. not to mention 60FPS.

4k, to me isn't worth twice the data parking space it requires. 1080 is just perfect.

it's four times the space. ;)

cheers
/max

Last edited:

Haha… "My eyes are up here!"

Humorous explanation of why 4K display doesn't matter. However, a 4K recording lacking detail dropped into a 1080 output will look worse than one recorded with more detail.

My current drone is a Mavic Pro Platinum. It's quiet, stable, and has been reliable.

I'm sticking with my MPP, which takes fine pictures, is quieter than the new Mavic 2 according to several reports, and doesn't have crippled RAW capabilities.

I was ready to buy, and maybe in months or a year Q/A will get better and the Mavic Pro 2 will tempt me. But for now, no sale.

At least you already have a Mavic. I come from a Typhoon H and wanted to get the Mavic, so anything that the M2P does better than the MP is bonus on top for me.

I sold my Mavic Platinum and have Mavic 2 Pro on preorder (sadly it still has to arrive in Sweden, should be here late September).
The main reason why I did this is because I simply want that 20mpix 1" sensor for still images. I'm a terrible videographer but I know a thing or two about photography and still photographs is what I am interested in most.
JPEG only panorama images are a bummer, but this is actually fixable with a firmware so I'm hoping that will come in the future (if not then it's ok, I don't do many panorama shots anyway).

Panoramas save the DNG files. I dont know why people are saying it doesn't.
ALL the modes save the DNGs if you tell it to.

I like the precision landing feature on the Gen 1 Mavic. I don’t need it, but it did come in handy once. I can only imagine that having obstacle sensors on the craft limits how close it can get to a landing area if your standing in proximity to it in RTH.

i totally agree with that video ac0j.

Video work was one of my Jobs and is still a hobby of mine.
I own a LG C7 OLED and have played with it extensively.

This is just my opinion but that video is mostly correct but...It does not take into account the color depth and the quality of the video production. Today you can make a 1080P or 4K video on even low end cameras but that does not mean all that much because the bit rate is low.

Really good 4K content like you can get from Demo videos from LG and Sony are a vast improvement over any 1080P videos I have seen, but they use about 500MB per minute of video and they are shot with $100K+ cameras.

I have viewed several YouTube videos from the Pro2 and it is pretty good but it's not any better than 4K Netflix which IMHO is pretty hard to tell the 1080P stuff on Netflix from the 4K stuff. With that said when I compare MP1 or MPP video to MP2 videos their certainly is a noticeable difference. That is the best Apples to Apples comparison and the reason why one would want to upgrade.

Rob

Reactions: impetus_maximus
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne