DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I've been talked out of the Mavic 2 for now

I don't shoot much video, but the new Mavic Pro may greatly excel at that. I agree about the 'real men don't use RTH' silliness. I land manually more than 90% of the time, but it is worthwhile in an emergency or situation when a 8 meter error can take your Main over a cliff or in the water. I consider Precision Landing like seat belts. You may need them only once in your life, but you'll be glad you have the. Obviously, DJI agrees, because after the uproar the feature is coming back. Who knows why they left it out. Why add bottom LED lighting, if the drone is going to land 5 meters away from the takeoff point? I would have thought the lighting would help make sure the landing location looked like the takeoff point when there may have been more light. I'm seeing a lot of disturbing issues around the drone, like camera distortion (admitted by DJI), some have abruptly fallen out of the sky, etc. Yes, these could well be early teething problems and all drones have them. I didn't get my MPP until last December, purposely waiting awhile until the software settled down, and it's been great. When I started the thread I said I may get one later, but too many issues remain for an early buy. That's just my evaluation. Yours may be different.

People get way too defensive over their purchases. Any many have jumped in and are quite happy.

I'm waiting and watching. DJI fixing the RTH issue is a good start.

Okay, I'm risking getting banned but seriously, 15 meters? I went out and tested RTH to see what the deal was. Mine missed the pad by 2 feet max in 10 tries. I also checked out Landing Protection. I took off, flew away, placed a bicycle on the landing area and hit RTH. The drone came back, started to land and stopped forcing me to pick another spot. When I tried it at night, using the light, it did the same thing. I also saw test on YouTube where a guy tried to land it on water and the drone wasn't having it. I'm not saying it's perfect but neither is PL. What happens if something has changed? What if a car pulled up in your parking lot scenario? I never used it other than to show off in perfect conditions, so I don't know. I'd love it if someone would try it. Let's see what happens. Btw all this talk about "emergencies" and I'm sure it can happen, but I fly primarily in urban areas. I've had the drone downtown, power lines and cell towers
everywhere, 3 or 4,000 feet away with zero problems with signal. I'm talking full bars. Besides, I set my drone to hover if there's a signal loss. The only reason mine will come back on its own is low battery. I personally don't play those games and bring it in with plenty juice to spare.

For all the hated that is directed towards DJI, I honestly don't see them as this evil, malicious company so many of you portray them as. Someone made the decision to scrap PL but since there's been such an uproar, they've decided to bring it back to please their customers.

I'm not sure if people necessarily get defensive about their purchases but it seems like a tug of war between positive and negative people. It's like someone showed up at the birthday party to tell everyone how bad cake is for your health. I've never honestly understood "I'm not buying *blank* threads and videos. Why get on a forum literally full of people that just got a new toy, that you don't want, need, etc and basically point out every little negative detail you can find? I see this peculiar behavior everywhere these days. We're on our sport bikes, some random person has to comment about how dangerous they are. We're launching the boat, and some bystander had to mention slip fees or fuel costs. Then there's people on the Hellcat/Challenger forums or commenting on YouTube videos...

Oh well, I'm gonna go for a ride and play with my new toy. If you're happy with the MP be happy.

Reactions: safetorque
I've seen several tests with returns many meters away. It's what would be expected using GPS only. Depends on location and available satellites to get the correct geometry. DJI apparently agrees and they are restoring the feature. Kudos to them.

I have no hatred toward DJI. That's a rather amazing misinterpretation of my comments. I love my MPP. It's great. I'm just waiting for many of the DJI admitted issues to be sorted out. I'm sure we will both have a good time flying today.

I've seen several tests with returns many meters away. It's what would be expected using GPS only. Depends on location and available satellites to get the correct geometry. DJI apparently agrees and they are restoring the feature. Kudos to them.

I have no hatred toward DJI. That's a rather amazing misinterpretation of my comments. I love my MPP. It's great. I'm just waiting for many of the DJI admitted issues to be sorted out. I'm sure we will both have a good time flying today.

Um I didn't say you...I said so many of you. This thread is full of DJI hate. Talk about defensive.

I was one of those DJI customers that could not wait for the second generation Mavic, but reading many of the threads up here has really given me pause.

Sloppy assembly, killing useful features, and plenty of reported 'issues' have me really not wanting to upgrade.

My current drone is a Mavic Pro Platinum. It's quiet, stable, and has been reliable.

As a pro photographer I understand the limitations of the camera it has, but doing panos and shooting RAW I can get some breathtaking images.

http://www.azdeepskies.com/_Media/pano000y-pano.jpeg

No precision landing is a non-starter. Sure, I usually land manually, but there are times it's very nice to have, so why take it away?

Jpegs only on panoramas? What are they thinking at DJI? The Mavic 2 is supposed to be a better photography tool than the Mavic 1. Why have a better sensor and then prohibit you from shooting RAW in that mode?

The Zoom model is also another head scratcher. It's basically the same camera (sensor) I have now.

In my view a new model should improve on the old in many areas, but never get behind the model it replaces. That's the apparent mistake DJI has made here.

Some of these things can be fixed in firmware if DJI decides it wants to. Some things, like the camera sensor on the Zoom can't be fixed.

I'm sticking with my MPP, which takes fine pictures, is quieter than the new Mavic 2 according to several reports, and doesn't have crippled RAW capabilities.

I was ready to buy, and maybe in months or a year Q/A will get better and the Mavic Pro 2 will tempt me. But for now, no sale.

whattttt no raws in pano mode???? is that correct?? thats a total deal breaker, i use pano mode almost every flight. wow where did u read this? can a mav2 pro user/owner verify this?? wow i did not know this.... pano mode is very imprtant feature no raws in crazy, if i wanted no raw i would buy a spark,,,,,

Afaik you need to enable "save original" then you will have your raw images... and this is really needed, as the stitching software implemented is real crap and messes up most of the panos.

I was one of those DJI customers that could not wait for the second generation Mavic, but reading many of the threads up here has really given me pause.

Sloppy assembly, killing useful features, and plenty of reported 'issues' have me really not wanting to upgrade.

My current drone is a Mavic Pro Platinum. It's quiet, stable, and has been reliable.

As a pro photographer I understand the limitations of the camera it has, but doing panos and shooting RAW I can get some breathtaking images.

http://www.azdeepskies.com/_Media/pano000y-pano.jpeg

No precision landing is a non-starter. Sure, I usually land manually, but there are times it's very nice to have, so why take it away?

Jpegs only on panoramas? What are they thinking at DJI? The Mavic 2 is supposed to be a better photography tool than the Mavic 1. Why have a better sensor and then prohibit you from shooting RAW in that mode?

The Zoom model is also another head scratcher. It's basically the same camera (sensor) I have now.

In my view a new model should improve on the old in many areas, but never get behind the model it replaces. That's the apparent mistake DJI has made here.

Some of these things can be fixed in firmware if DJI decides it wants to. Some things, like the camera sensor on the Zoom can't be fixed.

I'm sticking with my MPP, which takes fine pictures, is quieter than the new Mavic 2 according to several reports, and doesn't have crippled RAW capabilities.

I was ready to buy, and maybe in months or a year Q/A will get better and the Mavic Pro 2 will tempt me. But for now, no sale.

You NEVER want to be at the forefront of beta testing new product. Ever. Smart move. Wait AT LEAST 3 months. I generally wait a year. But then, there's usually a full hacking community which will allow you to configure the bird to be uber reliable and fulfill your needs.

whattttt no raws in pano mode???? is that correct?? thats a total deal breaker, i use pano mode almost every flight. wow where did u read this? can a mav2 pro user/owner verify this?? wow i did not know this.... pano mode is very imprtant feature no raws in crazy, if i wanted no raw i would buy a spark,,,,,

Hahaha! It saves pano and hyperlapse photos man....Breathe in, breathe out ....

Seems equally divided to me.. plenty of lovers and critics.. that's what forums are for..

Sigh and then you side step just like another guy said. I mean look at that poor guy from KISS, you've got him all upset with your misinformation. Hahaha! I have the Mavic Pro and the Mavic2Pro, it's not even close. However, do as you will. You can be as smug as you please but I'm out flying and enjoying my hot new girlfriend...

Awesome video. I tried to watch the 4k version, but way too many 0's and 1's for any internet connection around here.
4k, to me isn't worth twice the data parking space it requires. 1080 is just perfect.

You NEVER want to be at the forefront of beta testing new product. Ever. Smart move. Wait AT LEAST 3 months. I generally wait a year. But then, there's usually a full hacking community which will allow you to configure the bird to be uber reliable and fulfill your needs.

Yea I couldn't stand to be that far behind! To each their own but I get the latest phone, tablet, TV, car, motorcycle, etc and drone. That's like waiting until a movie hits network television to watch it. Oh heck no! Hahaha!

Awesome video. I tried to watch the 4k version, but way too many 0's and 1's for any internet connection around here.
4k, to me isn't worth twice the data parking space it requires. 1080 is just perfect.

Hey I have gig speed but I could see your point. That is one awesome video in any res! My point is, I don't think you could make it with a MP, Evo, Air, Spark, etc. If I get to the point that I can put together a video like that, the cost of the M2P will have been completely justified in my opinion. That's the whole reason I purchased it, it will give me room to grow as a pilot, editor and videographer. I have over 4T of video from the MP that I wasn't really happy with. In a couple dozen flights I am more happy with the results with the M2P on normal/auto without any filters than I have ever been with the MP after 4 sets of filters, hours spent playing with settings, 3 different editing programs, etc. It's a better platform in every way despite not having Precision Landing or Portrait Mode. There is no way I would let one guy having a broken gimbal and a few people complaining of overheating keep me from this drone.

It's ready to go faster. It focuses faster. It flies smoother, The gimbal is smoother with zero glitches. The transmission signal is better. I posted a video straight from my phone! It's quieter or has a better tone. The pictures are amazing. The latency is lower. The flight time is longer. It's much faster. It has more sensors for safety. I don't use active track but I tried it and it seemed to work. Most of the reviews I've seen are missing the fact that you can just touch the dot and it tracks that subject but recognizes other subjects on the screen so you can switch subjects just by touching their dot. It's really cool. I walked up and down a hill and it followed me no problem. It just seems like so many want to focus on what it doesn't have or what it doesn't do and completely ignore everything that it does that no other drone can.

it does not stitch well the panos, but saves raw to do it manually. it took me some time to learn but in fact was easy.

Hey I have gig speed but I could see your point. That is one awesome video in any res! My point is, I don't think you could make it with a MP, Evo, Air, Spark, etc. If I get to the point that I can put together a video like that, the cost of the M2P will have been completely justified in my opinion. That's the whole reason I purchased it, it will give me room to grow as a pilot, editor and videographer. I have over 4T of video from the MP that I wasn't really happy with. In a couple dozen flights I am more happy with the results with the M2P on normal/auto without any filters than I have ever been with the MP after 4 sets of filters, hours spent playing with settings, 3 different editing programs, etc. It's a better platform in every way despite not having Precision Landing or Portrait Mode. There is no way I would let one guy having a broken gimbal and a few people complaining of overheating keep me from this drone.

It's ready to go faster. It focuses faster. It flies smoother, The gimbal is smoother with zero glitches. The transmission signal is better. I posted a video straight from my phone! It's quieter or has a better tone. The pictures are amazing. The latency is lower. The flight time is longer. It's much faster. It has more sensors for safety. I don't use active track but I tried it and it seemed to work. Most of the reviews I've seen are missing the fact that you can just touch the dot and it tracks that subject but recognizes other subjects on the screen so you can switch subjects just by touching their dot. It's really cool. I walked up and down a hill and it followed me no problem. It just seems like so many want to focus on what it doesn't have or what it doesn't do and completely ignore everything that it does that no other drone can.

Lon, your footage looks really really good! You mean to tell me you shot all your video in Auto? Do you mind sharing your sharpness/saturation/contrast settings? If you did not shoot in Auto, do you mind sharing your settings?

Lon, your footage looks really really good! You mean to tell me you shot all your video in Auto? Do you mind sharing your sharpness/saturation/contrast settings? If you did not shoot in Auto, do you mind sharing your settings?

Nah I don't mind....Auto and Normal... I kid you not. Oh wait, that video isn't mine. That guy is Majestic Flights. His watermark is on the video. I do okay but that guy is an artist. Check out his channel.

Nah I don't mind....Auto and Normal... I kid you not. Oh wait, that video isn't mine. That guy is Majestic Flights. His watermark is on the video. I do okay but that guy is an artist. Check out his channel.

Oh, okay. I thought that was all your footage and it was shot in auto....I doubt it was shot in auto.

I too shot in raw for post production. Awesome shot btw!
I didn't know that was left out. Thats a game changer for me then too. My MPP is is good for now until they have a stable release and have gone through teaching problems.

The only thing I'm seeing as missing on the Pro is the precision RTH, and that's likely just a firmware upgrade to deal with the new sensors. It also has two IMUs and one compass (like the MA), as opposed to one IMU and two compasses on the MP. Hard to say which is better, but it looks like they have been finding two compasses a bit redundant, which is consistent with what we see as failure modes.

Mavic Pro has Dual IMU and Dual Compass. The whole point of having dual compass is for redundancy. I've had the compass switch message in flight before so its nice to have that extra compass. Visual compass is all well and good but doesnt work in the dark (unlike a second compass).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique