DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I've had enough of the (cr)app

lion

Reactions
First of all I have been flying fine with my Galixy 4s since May, then an update causes the app not to work any more. I called customer support who told me that model of phone is not compatible. Why was it working fine for months then? Grrrr. So then, as we needed to get in the air fast we invested in an iphone 5s as it was the cheapest compatible model on the list (with money that we couldn't spare might I add.)

Installed the app and all worked fine.... for a few days...

three days later the app crashed repeatedly. I tried clearing the cache to no avail, even with the aircraft just sitting on the floor the app crashed for no reason. I updated the iOS and the firmware is up to date. frustration.

So, I reinstall the app, and it worked fine... for about three days. so I reinstalled again and this time it has gone five days before starting to crash mid flight again.

I'm on 7.5 hours and 111 Km this time roundm about the same as the last time I had to reinstall, give or take.

Can anyone explain why I need to keep reinstalling this app? It is doing my head in that something I paid so much money for won't work, even with the devices it claims it will.

First of all I have been flying fine with my Galixy 4s since May, then an update causes the app not to work any more. I called customer support who told me that model of phone is not compatible. Why was it working fine for months then? Grrrr. So then, as we needed to get in the air fast we invested in an iphone 5s as it was the cheapest compatible model on the list (with money that we couldn't spare might I add.)

three days later the app crashed repeatedly. I tried clearing the cache to no avail, even with the aircraft just sitting on the floor the app crashed for no reason. I updated the iOS and the firmware is up to date. frustration.

So, I reinstall the app, and it worked fine... for about three days. so I reinstalled again and this time it has gone five days before starting to crash mid flight again.

I'm on 7.5 hours and 111 Km this time roundm about the same as the last time I had to reinstall, give or take.

Can anyone explain why I need to keep reinstalling this app? It is doing my head in that something I paid so much money for won't work, even with the devices it claims it will.
Are u flying on airplane mode ?
I found unless I cleared Ram .or went offline other things operating in the background can affect it immensely..also Solar flares can play havoc

Reactions: TerryJ
I have a DJI approved compatible android phone (LG V20) and the app crashes at least once per flight. The incompatible LG G4 used since I got the Mavic in February crashed only one time in 50 odd flights. I tried turning on USB debugging and restarting the V20 clean before flights, clearing cache before each takeoff followed by killing various and nearly all processes on the phone to no avail. I'm now in the market for a gently used G4 but my original died after warranty with the well known boot loop motherboard failure. I've learned to only ocassionally look at the V20 screen to frame photos. Having to take my eyes off the Mavic to restart the app seems to violate the spirit of the Line of Sight requirements. I may need to acquire a 2nd controller and use a photography assistant to actually take photo, video and handle app restarts.

The uphot has been that I fly less frequently and only in optimum conditions and away from hazards. DJI is not a company in which I have any faith or trust. Their documentation and support has been completely useless and incorrect in relation to any question I've raised or issue I've had. The Mavic was my first off the shelf quadcopter and they will need to come out with amazigly compelling reasons before I risk purchasing another of their products.

There are numerous reports online that the 5s is very marginal with Go 4, but that it works most of the time if you turn off everything else (cellular, wifi, other apps etc.). The bottom line is that it's an old phone and the processor is just not really up to the job, even though it is listed as compatible. Any iOS device new than that should work fine.

Reactions: Kilrah
There are numerous reports online that the 5s is very marginal with Go 4, but that it works most of the time if you turn off everything else (cellular, wifi, other apps etc.). The bottom line is that it's an old phone and the processor is just not really up to the job, even though it is listed as compatible. Any iOS device new than that should work fine.

I only use the device for the app, it has no sim and stays in airplane mode on purpose. It just seems that after 100,000 meters the app don't want to play any more! reinstalling is a pain but at least I can fly. I wish they would release a "basic" version for people who dont want fixed wing mode or active track nonsense.

All I need is the FPV screen and basic flight data to fly manually about. The only function I occasionally use is tripod. The Galixy S4 worked fine for ages, until some stupid update ruined it. Why over-complicate it!

Reactions: PerfectStorm
I had no luck at all using my old and not in service Galaxy S4
The app seemed fine BUT the video was so very choppy and laggy that it couldn't be used for the Mavic

Cant help with your problem now, but becoming a believer in "if you have a setup that works and like it do not update".
Sooooooooo agree there. Im on Firmware 1.3.300 with the drone and still using old version of Lichi. I've downloaded the new version on my old Z2 and Im testing it for now ... My Go4 is version 1.12. But I haven't flown that in probably 9 months. If it ain't broke..... DONT UPDATE

Litchi.

There are no features of GO4 that I need that Litchi does not have. On the rare occasion I want to use something like that, I just suffer through GO4 as needed.

So far, I've given new junk (like airplane mode) a try once, turned out it was a big "so what", haven't flown again with go since.

I prefer the normal flight UI on Litchi anyway.

Best of all, it has NEVER crashed on my Samsung Android phones.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike