DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I've killed a drone!

ZenSamurai

Reactions
Hello drone friends!

I've got a confession to make... I've killed a Mini 2 drone. First drone for me so I was expecting this to come, this is why I've got the Care Refresh Plan.
All the crashes I had so far I've been from a height no more than 1 meter. I had the battery door broken 2 times, some very small cracks here and there, but this last time was deadly :D Again from a very low attitude, guess this is the price we have to pay for lightness.
I also wasn't aware they will send me a shipping label so shipped it at my expense but doesn't matter.

Haven't tried other drones, but I'm amazed by this little fellow, fast, light, very - very compact, stunning image quality, amazing battery life. It is perfect for a hobbyist like myself.
Now, all clear with DJI, waiting for the replacement in a few days.

Do you have any interesting crash stories or maybe videos? Love to know.

Attachments

• 8d6c43a0-0cc5-4b8c-b162-6a7fe3eee974.jpg
    8d6c43a0-0cc5-4b8c-b162-6a7fe3eee974.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 331
  • 57298928-ec37-4b88-abc9-03e6b06a3f9c.jpg
    57298928-ec37-4b88-abc9-03e6b06a3f9c.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 330
  • 62430846-ce49-4631-95f9-b68fc742c5ca.jpg
    62430846-ce49-4631-95f9-b68fc742c5ca.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 340
Hello drone friends!

I've got a confession to make... I've killed a Mini 2 drone. First drone for me so I was expecting this to come, this is why I've got the Care Refresh Plan.
All the crashes I had so far I've been from a height no more than 1 meter. I had the battery door broken 2 times, some very small cracks here and there, but this last time was deadly :D Again from a very low attitude, guess this is the price we have to pay for lightness.
I also wasn't aware they will send me a shipping label so shipped it at my expense but doesn't matter.

Haven't tried other drones, but I'm amazed by this little fellow, fast, light, very - very compact, stunning image quality, amazing battery life. It is perfect for a hobbyist like myself.

Was just about to say 'that'll buff out', until I saw the 3rd photo...[emoji51]

Once got attacked (more like defending its territory) by a crow, which killed my Air. Definitely worth having Refresh.

• Haha
Reactions: tlswift58
Ok. More info, please. How could you do all that from a low altitude? Even with Care Refresh, what can you do next time to avoid this happening? In fact, what really happened? Were you over concrete?

Yeah, low altitude, would love to hear more.

Seems like you crashed it against a wall. :eek:

I fly low around the property often. We have a concrete sidewalk that runs up hill. Early on, to observe the belly sensors' behavior, I would fly at that sidewalk from the down hill side and watch the Mini 2 rise itself to adjust for the rising terrain. Pretty cool to watch and a way to get the drone fly very close to the ground, about a foot(.3m). One day, while feeling a little cocky, I flew at that sidewalk with a little more speed. She rose to adjust, but as the hill starts to flatten out at the top, the DIY gear extenders on the front bumped the sidewalk. And while I made belated adjustments, luck was on my side and the Mini 2 just kept on cruising.
I don't know how the OP cracked up their Mini 2, but I could imagine how it might have happened. Anyone else tried to fly between two branches of the same tree? LOL.

Reactions: Cami and tlswift58
Well, all the crashes I had, happened in my garden, a lot of obstacles not much space, my fault obviously :D So the last time I was hovering under this tent, the propeller made contact with the fabric on top, and the next thing is the Mini flying straight down to the concrete floor. Yes, I do realise how stupid that sounds :D

Attachments

• Hikvision NVR_Garden_20210329174857_55230.jpg
    Hikvision NVR_Garden_20210329174857_55230.jpg
    653.7 KB · Views: 150
  • Wow
Reactions: Cami and AmFree78
Hello drone friends!

Here for fun whilst flying through the woods, luckily no damage

Reactions: DJayI and TommyP
These little Minis are very tough.I crashed my Mini 1 into a tall tree and it was stuck there for 5 weeks. As if that was not enough when the wind blew it down it fell 70 feet. While in the tree the February snow, sleet etc was brutal. But I took it home, put in a battery and off she went. The best part of this story is that after two days in the tree I bought my Mini 2,

Reactions: Jussi B
I had my first crash today. Forecast said wind 10 m/s in the gusts. A forecast is a forecast. The wind decided to take my Mini 2 to another direction that I hoped for. I heard the propellers "trim" some tree branches. When I got it down to about 1.5 metres another nasty gust decided to push it into a fence and the drone dropped dead down on the lawn. Got an error message on my phone that said somtehing wrong with a motor. I turned off the drone, rotated the propellers and after restart it was ready to fly. (Yes, I just tried it and landed right after start.) Leasson learned, I'll never again think "it's kinda windy and hard wind gusts, what could possibly go wrong?".

Hello drone friends!

I count my blessings that I don't have any stories of note in regard to crashing! I have a Mavic Pro, Mavic Air 2 and a MM2. I don't have DJI Care on any of them but I do have them insured through State Farm should one get lost, stolen or damaged.

Roast drone anybody?
At a family barbecue yesterday I inadvertently flew over the bbq not realising somebody had moved it and covered everything in hot ash, fortunately the Mini 2 was unscathed if a little dusty. Just thought I'd send a warning out if you want to remain on good terms with the folks!
The learning curve continues....

Roast drone anybody?
At a family barbecue yesterday I inadvertently flew over the bbq not realising somebody had moved it and covered everything in hot ash, fortunately the Mini 2 was unscathed if a little dusty. Just thought I'd send a warning out if you want to remain on good terms with the folks!
The learning curve continues....

With would you fly a drone a foot off a sidewalk or in a crowded backyard? I ve never crashed a drone in all these years. The point of using a (good) drone is to get good footage or pics. What can you get a foot off a sidewalk or in your backyard?

Reactions: Drgnfli
would you fly a drone a foot off a sidewalk or in a crowded backyard
What leads you to believe that the shot(s) one wants do not exist under those conditions? Everybody's looking for something different.

PS I also have not crashed(close call yes) a good drone.

PS This would have been more enjoyable for us personally, if a good drone had been used.

Last edited:
Was flying my Mini 2 in Ice Box Canyon outside of Las Vegas when it started screaming "Atti Mode!", "Atti Mode!" at me and proceeded to drift sideways, then forward straight into the cliff wall. At that point it tumbled down the trickle of a waterfall into the pool at the bottom where I went wading in thigh deep ice cold water (thus "Ice Box Canyon") to retrieve it. Cracked in numerous places and gimbal was destroyed. Sent in to DJI with Care Refresh and got a replacement a few days later. Worth every penny.

Reactions: foxinsox and DJayI
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman