DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jittery Picture

Mav Guy

Reactions
Took the Mavic outside yesterday for the first flight. All went well, but wasn't happy with the video recording (just didn't think it was great quality). I had left all the settings stock, so watched a ton of YouTube videos, and tried for better looking video quality settings today. Not a pro, so wasn't going for awesome, just good enough compared to video I've seen out there.

Took off, and noticed the image on my phone jumping around like crazy. If I went forward at full stick, the camera swung down. If I pulled back to stop, the camera swung forward then rocked back and forth. Same when going side to side. Clearly the gimbal wasn't working. Worked fine yesterday.

Landed, turned the Mavic off, turned it back on, and watched the start up sequence on the gimbal. All looked good, and while moving the Mavic around by hand and looking at the image on my phone all looked good now. Seems like the gimbal is working again. Did a short test flight, all looked good regarding the gimbal.

Landed, re-grouped, everything looked good, so took it up again to record a longer video. The image looked jittery to me on the phone still, figured it might be lag so wasn't worried. I turned on TRIPOD mode in order to slow all of the actions down, and get some sweeping shots. Just trying to get nice, still, sweeping shots. While turning the Mavic, or moving up/down, the image seems really jittery. Obviously when I move the camera up/down (to look up a little, or straight down at the ground), that moves quickly, so I would expect that to be jittery, but if I'm sitting in place, spinning, in tripod mode, at half stick, I would think I'd get a smooth image.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe I'm being overly sensitive??

I just got the Mavic in on Wednesday off of Amazon. If this is a defect, I don't think I want to go through DJI and wait. I'd assume I'm better off just doing an exchange through Amazon, sending it back to them, and let Amazon send me a new one.

Thoughts?

Uploaded three videos.

Gimbal Issue Video (you can see some flickering):
https://youtu.be/1xNd-W8F-_w

Gimbal Fine (Video taken right after the prior video, after turning Mavic off/on):
https://youtu.be/MgKT-BY7FE4

Jittery Picture (there is a major flicker at 1:20):
https://youtu.be/ohfeM_djK5Y

Took the Mavic outside yesterday for the first flight. All went well, but wasn't happy with the video recording (just didn't think it was great quality). I had left all the settings stock, so watched a ton of YouTube videos, and tried for better looking video quality settings today. Not a pro, so wasn't going for awesome, just good enough compared to video I've seen out there.

Took off, and noticed the image on my phone jumping around like crazy. If I went forward at full stick, the camera swung down. If I pulled back to stop, the camera swung forward then rocked back and forth. Same when going side to side. Clearly the gimbal wasn't working. Worked fine yesterday.

Landed, turned the Mavic off, turned it back on, and watched the start up sequence on the gimbal. All looked good, and while moving the Mavic around by hand and looking at the image on my phone all looked good now. Seems like the gimbal is working again. Did a short test flight, all looked good regarding the gimbal.

Landed, re-grouped, everything looked good, so took it up again to record a longer video. The image looked jittery to me on the phone still, figured it might be lag so wasn't worried. I turned on TRIPOD mode in order to slow all of the actions down, and get some sweeping shots. Just trying to get nice, still, sweeping shots. While turning the Mavic, or moving up/down, the image seems really jittery. Obviously when I move the camera up/down (to look up a little, or straight down at the ground), that moves quickly, so I would expect that to be jittery, but if I'm sitting in place, spinning, in tripod mode, at half stick, I would think I'd get a smooth image.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe I'm being overly sensitive??

I just got the Mavic in on Wednesday off of Amazon. If this is a defect, I don't think I want to go through DJI and wait. I'd assume I'm better off just doing an exchange through Amazon, sending it back to them, and let Amazon send me a new one.

Thoughts?

Uploaded three videos.

Gimbal Issue Video (you can see some flickering):
https://youtu.be/1xNd-W8F-_w

Gimbal Fine (Video taken right after the prior video, after turning Mavic off/on):
https://youtu.be/MgKT-BY7FE4

Jittery Picture (there is a major flicker at 1:20):
https://youtu.be/ohfeM_djK5Y
Have you checked to make sure that the gimbal plate is under all three tabs?
Regards,
-d.

Have you checked to make sure that the gimbal plate is under all three tabs?
Regards,
-d.

Just checked. Yes, everything is fine with the gimbal and tabs. All looks good. Started it up again, gimbal went through the self check process no problem, shook it by hand, and the pic was stable. It's as if the gimbal just didn't turn on/activate that one time, but after turning the Mavic off and then on again, its turned on just fine.

As for the flicker and the jittery picture...not sure what that's about. I'm reading now about some bad cameras out of the box, sure hope that's not an issue here...but...if it's jittery or flicking now, not so sure it'll just work fine forever in the future. Going to test it out tomorrow some more and see.

Reactions: ggessel
Just checked. Yes, everything is fine with the gimbal and tabs. All looks good. Started it up again, gimbal went through the self check process no problem, shook it by hand, and the pic was stable. It's as if the gimbal just didn't turn on/activate that one time, but after turning the Mavic off and then on again, its turned on just fine.

As for the flicker and the jittery picture...not sure what that's about. I'm reading now about some bad cameras out of the box, sure hope that's not an issue here...but...if it's jittery or flicking now, not so sure it'll just work fine forever in the future. Going to test it out tomorrow some more and see.
You can slow the pan on the gimbal in the settings menu.
Regards,
-d.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awruk by ViERA.fX