DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

June 24th Drone footage shows the devastating aftermath of the partially collapsed Miami Beach condo building

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well guys let me say this. What happened was very bad and as
far as the video it is what it is. I let my opinion get harsh and I apologize. It don’t take much to turn a thread south and it can happen with 1 post . Let’s all chill and stay civil to each other from
here out. ?

Reactions: MARK (LI)
I just watched it. The pilot was a terrible flyer! Constant quick yaws and jerky moves. It was on a NBC News site. Don't these people understand the grief caused by a video like this? Imagine your own loved one in that pile.
Agreed it wasn't a great flight, but I'm sort of torn on this one. There is value in documenting things, and if it was a legal flight, I have a hard time faulting the guy. I've seen no indication he (or she) was trying to exploit the tragedy. Heck, the footage may even be of assistance to investigators down the road.

I'll be glad to be proven wrong. But I'm not seeing why the pilot needs to be attacked or shamed.

And I'll add, and I do mean this respectfully, but the "what if this was your loved one" idea is well-intentioned but ill-guided. I lost friends in 9/11, and yes, these images would be upsetting if I had family or friends there (as it turns out, I do have a friend who lived there, but she was not there at the time) but again, a public tragedy needs to be documented. My great uncle and another uncle were killed in WW2 and Vietnam, respectively, but I'm glad there were folks documenting those conflicts.

Last edited:
Perhaps this is a similar story...
A couple of years ago there was a major wildfire near where I live. Because of spotter planes, retardant bombers, and smoke jumpers - news media was not allowed to get in there with helicopters or drones in order to get footage. A local teenager flew his drone in and got some pretty good video. Disseminated it to the local news sources who all used it in their broadcasts.

Then, they turned his information over to the authorities who promptly filed charges against him.

If I'm out flying and I come upon a scene with emergency equipment and personnel on site, I quickly return to home using the most safe possible method at the time. I would never consider loitering around filming the area knowing emergency personnel are working on site and some might still be responding. I think if there is an intent to launch to survey an active emergency scene, it is a bit reckless. Many fire departments and LE are starting to use their own drones plus there is the possibility of helicopters using the area. However there is a lag time on emergency response, so if the pilot did actually witness the event itself, provided the pilot is following FAA rules, the pilot should call 911 to report it and tell them about having a drone in the air and explain what he/she is witnessing. I'd feel a quick video wouldn't do harm, then (unless directed by 911 to assist) quickly get out of there expecting the emergency services are in route. I'd turn over the video to the necessary authorities.

What if the collapse was caused by a bomb and the drone pilot happened to capture the perpetrators? Or what if while recording the scene the other portion of the building collapsed? I submit the video would be very helpful to the authorities.

With our wide-angle view from altitude, we see more than anyone on the ground. The nature of our hobby/business means we may inadvertently capture video that some may view as an invasion of privacy. But we may also capture something valuable (Zapruder film anyone?) and/or beautiful.

As others have stated, news helicopters were in the air very soon after the collapse. And they only care about being first on air with pictures of any disaster. Bad news is good news for them. Privacy? They say "the public has a right to know".

This particular video seems quite benign compared to the links (shared on this forum) to drone videos depicting dangerous or outright illegal flights.

Be well...be safe...be respectful...

Ok guys this has went on all it is going to. To start with if he was there when it happened you would not seen what he posted. Ever seen a building implode I have. The dust last for hours. Everyone has seen the Towers falling. The dust last forever. It’s clear in his video. I also see emergency personnel there.
This could go on forever but it’s not.
Sorry guys but this isn’t a productive thread.​
CLOSED.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members