DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

June 24th Drone footage shows the devastating aftermath of the partially collapsed Miami Beach condo building

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgmaxed

Reactions
NBC News JUNE 24TH or 25th: DRONE FOOTAGE shows the devastating aftermath of the PARTIALLY COLLAPSED SOUTH BEACH MIAMI CONDO.

THIS FOOTAGE WAS TAKEN ALMOST IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE COLLAPSE, BEFORE THE TFR WENT INTO EFFECT. I ASSUME. GOTTA LOVE THIS GUY.

You Assume. If I had family in there I wouldn’t love that guy.
Personally I don’t want 10 seconds of fame with deaths involved.
I wouldn’t have done it I would be trying to help but that’s just me ?‍♂️

NBC News JUNE 24TH or 25th: DRONE FOOTAGE shows the devastating aftermath of the PARTIALLY COLLAPSED SOUTH BEACH MIAMI CONDO.

THIS FOOTAGE WAS TAKEN ALMOST IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE COLLAPSE, BEFORE THE TFR WENT INTO EFFECT. I ASSUME. GOTTA LOVE THIS GUY.

TFR Temporay Flight Restriction.
Gotta love this guy?...for exploiting the misery of all those people who died in a terrible way? all of us want "THE" shot or video....I think this guy's shot at glory backfired and that I am not the only person who just would not watch it

If he had attempted to help, I can't imagine the repercussions he would have brought upon himself.

I deleted the ending of my statement.

Reactions: Len750
Question: Did not the news media do exactly what this drone pilot did? The drone pilot remains uknown and didn't make any money from his footage and had NO 10 MINUTES OF FAME. The news media found the footage and made thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. Their ratings went through the roof. This lone drone pilot received nothing. He shouldn't be marginalized. The only people taking advantage of this horrible sad situation is the media, that actually took his footage and aired it on public television. THEN THEY GO AND MAKE THEIR OWN FOOTAGE OR THE POLICE GIVE IT TO THEM, THEIR RATING AND PROFITS GO UP. WHO IS THE BAD GUY HERE. ME? THE DRONE PILOT, OR THE NEWS STATION WHO MADE 100'S OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN ADVERTISING REVENEU.

THE NEWS MEDIA MAKES MONEY OFF THIS. THE UNKNOWN DRONE PILOT WAS JUST SOME GUY, WHO MADE NO MONEY. WHO IS TO BE CRITICIZED? THE ONES THAT MAKE MONEY OFF OF DEATH, OR SOME GUY WHO JUST HAPPENED TO BE NEAR BY, AND FILMED THE COLLAPSED BUILDING. THE NEWS FACED NO CONSEQUENCES WHEN THEY FILMED OVER THE FIRST RESPONDERS IN THEIR HELICOPTER. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE TFR? OR DID THE POLICE SEND THE FOOTAGE IN , INCREASING THE NEWS MEDIA'S RATING AND THUS PROFITS FOR THE LOCAL NEWS STATION. THEY GET REWARDED. DRONE PILOTS GET PUNISHED. AGAIN, DRONE PILOTS GET PUNISHED. NEWS MEDIA PROFITS. NBC LITERALLY MADE A KILLING. THE DRONE PILOT IS AN INNOCENT BYSTANDER. If the drone pilot went to help, he too may have been crushed by still falling debris.

Footage Shows Aerial View of Partial Condo Building Collapse in Surfside​

Helicopter footage gives an aerial view of the partial condo building collapse in Surfside.

Last edited:
Reactions: Len750 and koco2202
How do you know he didn’t make money. Not going to debate it with you I just stated my opinion. Just because I’m a Mod doesn’t
mean I can’t have one. I 99% of the time keep it to myself and just read. I just happened to say what I thought. Sorry should have just
kept my thoughts to my self. ?‍♂️

Reactions: Rudiger
If he had attempted to help, I can't imagine the repercussions he would have brought upon himself.

I deleted the ending of my statement.
What safe a life. Sure he wouldn’t have had any. Been there and done that dude way more than you know. Never assume.
Added, no you tryed to edit I fixed it back. You started it now don’t back track.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Gotta love this guy?...for exploiting the misery of all those people who died in a terrible way? all of us want "THE" shot or video....I think this guy's shot at glory backfired and that I am not the only person who just would not watch it
The problem is, the news media went in their super expensive helicopters and filmed it the night after. The made thousands of dollars of their own footage, the drone pilot isn't even known. nor did the drone pilot make any money. Only the news media made money.
I used to be a first responder. You don't go in there as a private citizen looking to help. Then we would have to be saving another soul trapped in the unstable debris. That's why we are always yelling at onlookers to leave the area. We don't want their help and they distract us from doing our jobs.
Don't shoot the messenger.

Reactions: Riteguy and Len750
The problem is, the news media went in their super expensive helicopters and filmed it the night after. The made thousands of dollars of their own footage, the drone pilot isn't even known. nor did the drone pilot make any money. Only the news media made money.

I used to be a first responder. You don't go in there as a private citizen looking to help. Then we would have to be saving another soul trapped in the unstable debris. That's why we are always yelling at onlookers to leave the area. We don't want their help and they distract us from doing our jobs.
Yeah well I’m a retired State and Federal GameWarden. So what
you say ain’t squat to me. Done dealed with Hurricanes and Tornadoes and drowned victims. You keep on with me and your not gonna win. I would move on.

I don't know how you are sure the footage was shot before the TFR went into effect, but since it may take a while to get a TFR issued, you could well be correct on that point, I don't know.

However, regardless of any TFR, this was clearly the scene of an emergency, and he clearly knew it. Unless he was actively coordinating his flight with the incident commander on site, he had no way of knowing whether his flight would be interfering with emergency responders, who may have wanted to use helicopters or their own drones to survey the situation.

That was the kind of irresponsible flight that helps give all drone pilots a bad reputation.

If he asked first responders before flying, and was coordinating with them and surveying the scene at their direction to help them understand the situation so that they could make their plan of action, I retract what I just said. It's fine to help our emergency services when they request it. But if not, he was just getting in the way and risking compounding the existing tragedy.

If the guy wanted to help...he should have stayed clear and let the first responders ( most departments have their own drones and operators) do their work....I don't care at all for "journalists" , partly because they are like ghouls in situations like this, and no one has any idea who got what amount of money for their involvement in this..but the News people were doing their jobs, as distasteful as I find it......I am not going to judge our drone pilot's behavior ...other than to say he did act in a ghoulish manner himself....but his action was in extremely bad taste and just spreads negativity about drones...when lawmakers have kind of "taken their eye off the ball" or been distracted...stuff like this brings it back into focus and gets them back on track and busy discussing anti drone laws

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
There's always more than one side to every story, depending on your individual reference framework. Would ye'all have felt better if said visuals were shot with a phone cam? Or not documented at all? Or perhaps fully ignored?

I watched 9/11 with a death toll of 2977 souls unfold on a live CNN feed, sitting on the southern tip of Africa. I could immediately sympathize from 7000 miles away with every American before any politician even opened his trap to say a word and make up my mind as to the cowardice and evilness of those who were responsible for the tragedy.

So, if the 'horror' of said drone footage and the tragedy it documented could inspire/shock ONE building inspector who were not there to see the devastation for himself in future to take note of cracks developing in ONE apartment building's parking garage to save 97 more innocent lives then the drone operator deserves a medal.

Or, for the sake of the families involved, the whole incident, (9/11 included), could have been kept under wraps, a press embargo placed on any visuals of the incidents, drone and helicopter footage included, and every building inspector could happily and conveniently ignore telltale signs of impeding disaster until the next building collapses, and every international onlooker could frown upon the US for its 'war on terror' that followed 9/11.

Guess the drone operator could have kept his footage to himself, or perhaps have done the visuals on his phone cam instead, or just pretended he did not notice an apartment building in his neighborhood just collapsed.

And to those ever so quick to condemn 'the press' for keeping you informed while sitting on your comfortable couch; you have NO idea of the emotional ( Mod Removed )it takes to document tragedy, blood and guts, misfortune, murder, deceiving politicians and natural disasters on a daily basis AND doing your best to do so unbiased and truthfully. And no, the salary involved is by no means a motivational factor. The motivation is simply a moral obligation to share the truth of what's happening so society can make informed decisions as to what's right and wrong and to make the world a better/safer place for everyone to live in.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are sending a mixed message here...first you say "GOTTA LOVE THIS GUY" ..then you say "You don't go in there as a private citizen looking to help" ...so which is it?...I don't think that he was there to help, anyway
@Derek ZA .....the News outlets had it covered...as I said " doing their jobs" ...it was not going undocumented...did not need a private citizen who besides potentially interfering with rescue efforts is just bringing negative attention to drones

Reactions: HighlandsVideo

Without getting embroiled in good or bad choices, if somebody with a good drone is right on the scene of a catastrophe like this one, my personal view is that they should make themselves known to whoever is taking charge of the ground operations, maybe the first police or fire service personnel, and become part of the first responder team. A drone would be a huge help, to fly over the devastation, recording film to search for survivors and to film up the buildings, to let people trapped know that they had probably been seen. This then would help where to place resources, safely and effectively, in the first frantic moments of the response. The actual camera controls on this video were pretty ragged and the video clarity was poor, but it might have helped, if made available to the ground crews. Drone technology is a new tool in search and rescue and should used, but liaise on the ground, as well. Making footage available to news outlets later on is a world wide practice. If it is not shown, we don’t realise the severity of an event and then to be able to sympathise with the victims and their families and friends. I watched the news footage from New Zealand and send sincere condolences to anyone affected by such loss to this tragedy in Florida. My thoughts are with them because I saw the scale of the damage, thanks to some aerial and security camera footage. ?✨?

I see how this could be argued from several perspectives.

How do you know he didn’t make money. Not going to debate it with you I just stated my opinion. Just because I’m a Mod doesn’t
mean I can’t have one. I 99% of the time keep it to myself and just read. I just happened to say what I thought. Sorry should have just
kept my thoughts to my self. ?‍♂️
Well, I don't know if he made money, to tell you the truth, but the news media made more and even filmed the scene again after the TFR or they got it from the police, which is bad enough. I don't think the drone pilot received any money because of they way they presented his footage. They didn't interview him, or he didn't want to be interviewed in case he did something wrong, His general home location wasn't mention, was he a tourist a resident? The news media didn't mention any detail whatsoever about the source person who filmed the fall. I also think he flew before the TFR went into effect, because their were only 2 1st responder vehicles on the ground at the time, at least that's how many I could see. And the film is clearly marked June 24th. The collapse took place just predawn on June 24th. So he probably had enough light to get the footage just as the sun was coming up which was before any TFR was initiated.

And please don't judge me for what seemed like careless remarks. The news media makes money off of death every day. In fact, that's when they get their highest ratings and get even more money from advertisers, who also take advantage of the tragedy. Yes it was a tragedy, and no layperson should have tried to go digging around in the unstable rubble. Some say he should have went to help, but if he did, he could have become another statistic. Yes , I can be a cold person. I was a doctor, I saw death every day. It rubs off on you and most of us lose our sensitivity toward death. There is no need for other member to attack me. That wasn't the purpose of this post. The point I was making, is the drone pilot beat the media to the scene and what seemed to be a mission flown in a safe manner. He didn't harm anyone or interfere with the first responders. The video was short and he didn't stay long. And the TFR hadn't been put into effect or at least wasn't publicly known until later in the day, after the drone pilot had already filmed the scene. We don't even know, If he simply flew his drone, to find out what that big boom and rumble was. He may have heard it and came upon the building location as he looked for the source of what sounded like an explosion.

We live in a world where footage of tragedy is one of the biggest money makers in the news. He wasn't doing anything wrong or at least he didn't do what the news reporter wouldn't have done themselves given the chance. So kudos to him for being first on scene. He could have sold his footage for thousands of dollars the same minute he shot it. He was the only one at the time with arial footage. You have to ask why he didn't. I suspect he was probably a recreational pilot and had no 107 and thus was unable to make money from it, and thus stayed anonymous when he finally did get a copy to the media.

If you want to attack me, be my guest, but don't do it publicly and ruin this thread. If you do post hate posts toward me, then this thread will simply become a thread about me and my original comment, not about the Pilot who took the initiative and filmed the scene. SEND ANY HATE COMMENTS TO MY PERSONAL MAIL. Please don't post them here. Thanks for understanding.

There's always more than one side to every story, depending on your individual reference framework. Would ye'all have felt better if said visuals were shot with a phone cam? Or not documented at all? Or perhaps fully ignored?

I watched 9/11 with a death toll of 2977 souls unfold on a live CNN feed, sitting on the southern tip of Africa. I could immediately sympathize from 7000 miles away with every American before any politician even opened his trap to say a word and make up my mind as to the cowardice and evilness of those who were responsible for the tragedy.

So, if the 'horror' of said drone footage and the tragedy it documented could inspire/shock ONE building inspector who were not there to see the devastation for himself in future to take note of cracks developing in ONE apartment building's parking garage to save 97 more innocent lives then the drone operator deserves a medal.

Or, for the sake of the families involved, the whole incident, (9/11 included), could have been kept under wraps, a press embargo placed on any visuals of the incidents, drone and helicopter footage included, and every building inspector could happily and conveniently ignore telltale signs of impeding disaster until the next building collapses, and every international onlooker could frown upon the US for its 'war on terror' that followed 9/11.

Guess the drone operator could have kept his footage to himself, or perhaps have done the visuals on his phone cam instead, or just pretended he did not notice an apartment building in his neighborhood just collapsed.

And to those ever so quick to condemn 'the press' for keeping you informed while sitting on your comfortable couch; you have NO idea of the emotional balls it takes to document tragedy, blood and guts, misfortune, murder, deceiving politicians and natural disasters on a daily basis AND doing your best to do so unbiased and truthfully. And no, the salary involved is by no means a motivational factor. The motivation is simply a moral obligation to share the truth of what's happening so society can make informed decisions as to what's right and wrong and to make the world a better/safer place for everyone to live in.
I wish I could of put it that way, instead of making such a short terse comment. What you say in your post is why I said, "You gotta love this guy." People took it the wrong way. So if anyone reads this, just know, what Derek ZA says/said is why I said what I said at the end on my original post.

Reactions: Len750

I just watched it. The pilot was a terrible flyer! Constant quick yaws and jerky moves. It was on a NBC News site. Don't these people understand the grief caused by a video like this? Imagine your own loved one in that pile.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
I just watched it. The pilot was a terrible flyer! Constant quick yaws and jerky moves. It was on a NBC News site. Don't these people understand the grief caused by a video like this? Imagine your own loved one in that pile.
The footage is what it is. We don't know what kind of drone he was using. It could have been an older DJI or one of those cheap 300-500 dollar ones. Or yeah, maybe it was a newer modern DJI, If so, yes he didn't make a pro looking video. But it was likely early and he only flew over the scene for like 30 seconds. He probably went in quick and left just as quick , so as to not interfere with the first responders or maybe even a helicopter that I would think would have been dispatched to assess the scene. I don't think my skills wouldn't have been that great either.

I just want to state that I don't hate any one....I think what the drone operator did was in poor taste for a number of reasons and brings unnecessary negative attention to the drone hobby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll