DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

scubaddictions

Reactions
Maybe it's just a good lyric from a Nirvana song, I'm wondering at what level other drone pilots feel paranoia about potential interactions with random members of the public. Lately I find that I'm skittish flying in public areas with other random people in the area, and go out of my way to not be seen. For whatever reasons I feel conspicuous and vulnerable with a set of expensive hardware in my hand and an even more expensive drone in the air.

Case in point, a few days ago I was maybe only two minutes from getting aloft when along comes three belligerent homeless wandering up the street, just talking smack at each other in an unfriendly way. Wasn't directed at me at all, just felt uncomfortable, like what would I do if they decided to interact with me while I'm flying. Folded kit and left the area.

I don't think I'm even worried about those worst-case type videos all over Youtube, nutters who scream at drone pilots that they're breaking the law or peeping in windows.
Just wondering if I'm alone in my paranoia or others feel it too.

Thoughts?

Actually bagged this panorama composite while piloting sitting in my locked car, so it's not all bad! :)

DJI_0744_13-1-1-1 (1280x640).jpg

I would say I get 90% of people are interested, often to interested & ask continual questions while I am concentrated on flying.
9% who don't want anyone else to have fun.
1% who simply ignore me & the drone.

I should have bought the t-shirt that read, yes its a drone, yes its expensive, no you can’t fly it.
Great picture by the way Thumbswayup

Maybe it's just a good lyric from a Nirvana song, I'm wondering at what level other drone pilots feel paranoia about potential interactions with random members of the public. Lately I find that I'm skittish flying in public areas with other random people in the area, and go out of my way to not be seen. For whatever reasons I feel conspicuous and vulnerable with a set of expensive hardware in my hand and an even more expensive drone in the air.

Case in point, a few days ago I was maybe only two minutes from getting aloft when along comes three belligerent homeless wandering up the street, just talking smack at each other in an unfriendly way. Wasn't directed at me at all, just felt uncomfortable, like what would I do if they decided to interact with me while I'm flying. Folded kit and left the area.

I don't think I'm even worried about those worst-case type videos all over Youtube, nutters who scream at drone pilots that they're breaking the law or peeping in windows.

Thoughts?

Actually bagged this panorama composite while piloting sitting in my locked car, so it's not all bad! :)

View attachment 81383
I would say I get 90% of people are interested, often to interested & ask continual questions while I am concentrated on flying.
9% who don't want anyone else to have fun.
1% who simply ignore me & the drone.

I should have bought the t-shirt that read, yes its a drone, yes its expensive, no you can’t fly it.
Great picture by the way Thumbswayup
Hi. I find that most people are clueless about what drones can and cannot do, if I am approached by persons unknown I make a point of telling them that they have walked into my Photo/ video and it has gone straight to my computer at home, but will delete said Photo/ video when I return home. Makes me feel safe.

I actively avoid other people for the same type of reason. I have yet to use my strobe light..only used spotlight once.! (Have an ED). Never used speaker.! Maybe some quiet day if I can get to the mountains..

Reactions: Endeavor
It is best to fly when no one is around unless they are pilots or friends. Some folks are amazed when then see you flying and will disturb you with questions. Some are nasty and will say you are invading the rights of privacy.

Reactions: Endeavor
I have never had a negative interaction with the public, but I also do not give them a reason to be angry with me. If there are people around I keep it high and moving. One time a woman approached me with her two dogs and I was expecting the worse when she asked me to fly it lower so her dogs could chase it.

I have never had a negative interaction with the public, but I also do not give them a reason to be angry with me. If there are people around I keep it high and moving. One time a woman approached me with her two dogs and I was expecting the worse when she asked me to fly it lower so her dogs could chase it.
Well I guess you have been lucky. There are many negative news articles daily about drones and drone pilots that the FAA has listened to the public and made it harder and harder to fly anywhere.

And the lady with the dogs, well if your drone flew over her you broke the law.

We have drones that can go 4 miles but legally can only fly in line of sight. Who can see 4 miles in most places?

Reactions: Dronage
...And the lady with the dogs, well if your drone flew over her you broke the law...
You missed the part of my post where I stated that I do not give people a reason to get mad at me. That means I follow the rules and do not fly over people. There are some arrogant operators that think the rules do not apply to them. I am not one of those.
...We have drones that can go 4 miles but legally can only fly in line of sight. Who can see 4 miles in most places?
I can't, but that is not an issue with me because I keep it within VLOS. The great thing about having the extra signal power is that it allows me to fly from the comfort of my car (looking out my side window at my flying area) without losing connection.

Reactions: dawgpilot
That’s great. I hope someone else is doing the driving while you are looking out your side window while also flying your drone. LOL

Reactions: Mossiback
That’s great. I hope someone else is doing the driving while you are looking out your side window while also flying your drone. LOL
I assume he's parked.

Thoughts?

View attachment 81383
Get this feeling every time I fly
The paranoia is real and so is the publics distast for drones . wrote exactly what you did a few weeks ago after some sour looks and a head shake during a waterfall shoot . yesterday a patrol car stopped 20 yards away from me and watched me for 15 min. To make matters worse I good friend I've know for years started to attack my facebook page when I posted a few pics and a video. This crazy paranoid MF says he hates drones and will shoot mine down if I fly it near his house . I was like are you kidding me? I have had 2 other friends say similar things but not be confrontational about it. So yeah I feel uneasy at times for sure

Reactions: Dronage
if you are not confident it will be a red flag to someone paying attention to you.

I am very comfortable flying around others, most likely due to the professionalism present in my control. usually met with watching until I am done, if not I usually just say "one moment please"

Reactions: MAGA
To make matters worse I good friend I've know for years started to attack my facebook page when I posted a few pics and a video. This crazy paranoid MF says he hates drones and will shoot mine down if I fly it near his house . I was like are you kidding me? I have had 2 other friends say similar things but not be confrontational about it. So yeah I feel uneasy at times for sure

What you're saying reminded me of similar but less severe reaction. A friend recently tagged me in Facebook with a drone related post, accompanied with this line "I normally despise drones but this site has some good pictures...blah blah, etc". Somehow it really rubbed me the wrong way. Despise? I despise drunk drivers. I can't imagine what experience he's had with drones that would cause that reaction. I'm sure he was just being casual with the word, but still....

Last edited:
Reactions: Drgnfli
Fly safe all and as I said above it might be better to fly with no non pilots around as drones are becoming a hot topic almost as bad as saying you own a gun. You must be a bad guy in both cases.

Reactions: badgenes and MAGA
Well haven't the media done a fine job! Turning public opinion hostile toward drones and their pilots.
Look how effective it has been by the feelings of the pilots in this thread.
I say that we shouldn't live in fear and as long as we are sensible we should be able to fly where appropriate.
I did recently have a negative encounter and was asked if I could cease flying.
I obliged but asked politely what the issue was.
I tried to enlighten the gentleman that I was merely enjoying some great photography of the natural beauty of the environment.
He became less aggressive with a softer approach. Perhaps he may be lighter with the next person he sees?
I packed up and found a different spot to enjoy my hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harrisonford